LG Optimus S: 4.4 KitKat?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: 4.4 KitKat?

there is a bug I inadvertently brought into the msm7x27-common folder.
remove the sysinit lines from init.qcom.rc, it's in init.rc now and runs twice otherwise.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

ugh.
cm and androidarmv6 been pushing updates long time.
synced yesterday and haven't been able to complete a build since. repo sync again and again, always syncing work tree.
nothing to do but wait I guess.
//edit: yay, builds again. unless that old webcore I dropped in didn't get overwritten by syncing, which I dunno.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

fyi: the single-file replacement tweaks in my default.xml are now failing to copy over the existing project files. Broke my MMS and reintroduced several errors.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Fully functioning MMS without messing with the APN!

I edited my MMS Working post above to reflect the current changes. It's hacky but it WORKS!

I suspect this will work on Sprint and maybe even other devices with kitkat mms problems.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

Quick question. Are the OS2SD and regular rom identical (other than where the directories are located that is)? I thought some had to be taken out of /system on the regular rom in order for it to fit.

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
The OS2SD rom has a few extra apps compared to the (regular) internal version. OS2SD is still leaner than your typical vanilla KitKat install, even with a full gapps install (I think). At least it is if you use the Skinny gapps.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... Any reason not to use full gapps and/or the full typical vanilla KitKat? Just wondering because I'm debating trying the internal build with bind mounting scripts to move cache, dalvik, and part of system to SD partitions while using link2sd to move most apps, but I'd rather do so with as complete of a typical /system partition as possible, and then moving as few system folders as possible of it to sd just so it stays within the optimus limits.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Hmm... Any reason not to use full gapps and/or the full typical vanilla KitKat? Just wondering because I'm debating trying the internal build with bind mounting scripts to move cache, dalvik, and part of system to SD partitions while using link2sd to move most apps, but I'd rather do so with as complete of a typical /system partition as possible, and then moving as few system folders as possible of it to sd just so it stays within the optimus limits.

Doing all of that with the internal ROM seems feasible, but why? JUST GET THE OS2SD VERSION and save yourself a lot of headaches! Backup your current install (nandroid, Titanium or whatever app you use to reinstall apps from within Android), change recovery to TechVendetta's for OS2SD. Then follow the directions from bigsupersquid's version to install (scroll down to third post). Skinbark's version hasn't been updated in over a month:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...4-4-2-os2sd-internal-ov-kitkat-jbc-based.html

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Doing all of that with the internal ROM seems feasible, but why? JUST GET THE OS2SD VERSION and save yourself a lot of headaches! Backup your current install (nandroid, Titanium or whatever app you use to reinstall apps from within Android), change recovery to TechVendetta's for OS2SD. Then follow the directions from bigsupersquid's version to install (scroll down to third post). Skinbark's version hasn't been updated in over a month:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...4-4-2-os2sd-internal-ov-kitkat-jbc-based.html

Because as cool as OS2SD is, it has its limitations. Namely...
1. Certain apps won't install to the sd-ext data partition
2. There are formatting/backup/restore issues
3. The possible reduction in performance
4. There is possibly less battery life

For y'all who just use the S/V as a secondary phone, that may be good. As my main/ONLY phone, and being that I currently have 126 apps, 2 days of battery, stable yet excellent performance via over-clocking to 756 MHz (I think). That's a lot to give up for a highly experimental build which still has some issues, especially when I think I can resolve most by running less of the OS from SD with mount scripts.

I feel like I'm the first to say the world is round.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
1. What apps won't install? I haven't had any issues with this so I'm curious.

2. Using techvendetta's twrp recovery partitioning/formatting/backup/restore work fine

3. There's been reports of the os2sd version running slightly more snappy/faster than the internal with the right sd-card.

4. I haven't used the internal version enough to personally compare but everything I've heard is its comparable.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

2. Using techvendetta's twrp recovery partitioning/formatting/backup/restore work fine

3. There's been reports of the os2sd version running slightly more snappy/faster than the internal with the right sd-card.

4. I haven't used the internal version enough to personally compare but everything I've heard is its comparable.

3. That SD card of choice is generally considered to be a Sandisk card. For the S/V/P500, a Class 4 card will give the best read/write results. This is an older article, but further posts on this subject from xda and other forums still consider the SanDisk Class 4 cards to be the best for the V: 32GB microsd cards - xda-developers

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
My only issue with not using OS2SD is not having the card i want. I have a class 4 4GB card thats full, id prefer to use a reformated class 10 64GB exfat card.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
My only issue with not using OS2SD is not having the card i want. I have a class 4 4GB card thats full, id prefer to use a reformated class 10 64GB exfat card.

Same here, but I don't recall the S/V/P500 being capable of using anything bigger than a 32GB card. Is there some sort of hack that makes it possible to use one? As it is, I don't mind using the internal version in its current form with my current 32 GB Micro SD card (Kingston Class 4). I hope skinbark or bigsupersquid can maintain it in at least a workable state for the foreseeable future. :)

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

I'm not speaking from experience, so it may no longer be the case; just quoting Skinbark's rom description for the OS2SD version

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Same here, but I don't recall the S/V/P500 being capable of using anything bigger than a 32GB card. Is there some sort of hack that makes it possible to use one? As it is, I don't mind using the internal version in its current form with my current 32 GB Micro SD card (Kingston Class 4). I hope skinbark or bigsupersquid can maintain it in at least a workable state for the foreseeable future. :)

It needs to be reformatted to Fat32, which makes it basically a 32GB. I plan on partitioning it in at least half, so id have 32GB for sd, and another 32GB for os2sd and whatever else i can cram in there.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
So here's what I'm thinking. I currently have reborn rom and xionia recovery. I've done a Titanium backup, and a nandroid, and sent all SD contents, including these to my laptop. In order to install the internal version I need to:

1. Install a new recovery (unless xionia works). I'd like a recovery that will load my xionia nandroid backups. Should I go CWM or TWRP?
1a. I haven't flashed a recovery since I first got my S. Can I flash a recovery from inside Xionia? Got to use adb? What's best?
2. If Xionia backups won't load on new recovery, I'll do a new nandroid.
3. Per bigsupersquid, i format Internal system, Internal data, and Internal cache
3a. install rom zip
3b. reboot, let it load up completely
4. From here I'll use my script to move cache, dalvik, /system/media, /system/tts, and other system folders if necessary to SD. Here's what my script looks like so far:

Code:
#!/system/bin/sh

# from A
sync;
setprop 1k.filesystem.ready 1;

# empty mount permission sdext2
busybox mount -o rw,remount -t rootfs rootfs /
busybox rm -rf /data/sdext2
busybox mkdir /data/sdext2
busybox mount -o rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime -t ext2 /dev/block/vold/179:2 /data/sdext2
busybox chmod 0771 /data/sdext2

# move cache & bind-mounts it
busybox mkdir /data/sdext2/cache
cp -r /cache/* /data/sdext2/cache
umount /cache
busybox mount -o bind /data/sdext2/cache /cache
busybox chown 1000:2001 /data/sdext2/cache
busybox chmod 0771 /data/sdext2/cache
busybox chown 1000:2001 /cache
busybox chmod 0771 /cache

# edited from mvdalvik.sh
if [ ! -d /data/sdext2/cache/dalvik-cache ]
then
        busybox rm -rf /data/sdext2/cache/dalvik-cache /data/dalvik-cache
        mkdir /data/sdext2/cache/dalvik-cache /data/dalvik-cache
fi

busybox chown 1000:1000 /data/sdext2/cache/dalvik-cache
busybox chmod 0771 /data/sdext2/cache/dalvik-cache

# bind mount dalvik-cache
busybox mount -o bind /data/sdext2/cache/dalvik-cache /data/dalvik-cache
busybox chown 1000:1000 /data/dalvik-cache
busybox chmod 0771 /data/dalvik-cache

# move system/media & bind-mounts it
busybox mkdir /data/sdext2/system /data/sdext2/system/media /data/sdext2/system/tts
cp -r /system/media/* /data/sdext2/system/media
cp -r /system/tts/* /data/sdext2/system/tts
busybox mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
busybox rm -rf /system/media /system/tts
busybox ln -s /data/sdext2/system/media /system/media
busybox ln -s /data/sdext2/system/tts /system/tts
busybox chown 0000:0000 /data/sdext2/system
busybox chmod 0755 /data/sdext2/system
busybox chown 0000:0000 /data/sdext2/system/media
busybox chmod 0755 /data/sdext2/system/media
busybox chown 0000:0000 /system/media
busybox chmod 0755 /system/media
busybox chown 0000:0000 /data/sdext2/system/tts
busybox chmod 0755 /data/sdext2/system/tts
busybox chown 0000:0000 /system/tts
busybox chmod 0755 /system/tts
busybox mount -o ro,remount /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

# remove debugger memory dumps
busybox rm -rf /data/tombstones/*
Yes, I know it's ugly. I'm an ubernovice. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

5. If and when i get my script working, I'll reboot into recovery and install the full gapps zip, CrossBreeder, an entropy generator, speed tweak and adblocker (Mounting Internal system and Internal data before flashing to insure they'll stick).
6. I'll flash the Sprint fix (although, I'm on ting. Should i be concerned?)
7. I'll reboot, configure Wi-Fi, sign into google account and let it complete sync.
8. I'll reboot again before using play store and restore apps through titanium backup.

Any advice before I bite the bullet. I'm so paranoid, this being my only phone.

And btw, since I haven't said it enough, THANKS, to all who've been working/testing/whatever on the KitKat Optimus S builds. Y'all are awesome!

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Once you flash a new recovery, you CAN'T use it for your Xionia backups. You'd pretty much have to flash Xionia all over again, because the CWM that's mentioned here to install KitKat simply isn't compatible with Xionia (which is a lot older and the nandroid file format is different)

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Bullet has been bitten. With a script in /system/etc/init.d and one in /data/local I've got the mounts and links working the way I want. /System is indeed very tight. /data is also very tight. Going to have to monkey with some things now so that I've got the space that I want. Hadn't thought of it before, but since I unmount /cache and remount that in entirety on my sd-ext partition, I've now got the entire cache partition open and usable. Perhaps I'll mount part of system there. Any thoughts? My goal, again is to allow as much as possible to run internally. Right now, cache and dalvik are on sd-ext, as well as most of my apps and and their libraries. I like to keep Link2sd itself, as well as all system apps, all apps with widgets, Titanium backup, avast, system tuner, Groove ip, Google voice, and Swipe keyboard internal. The parts of system I currently have on sd-ext are /system/media and /system/tts. Any other recommendations for what should be put where? Once I get a consensus and some kinks worked out, I'll make a flashable zip of my two scripts for those interested in running the internal build with the flexibility that comes from the minor sd-ext mounting/linking.

KitKat is AMAZING btw. Runs SMOOTH, and the functionality is great. Here's a few of the bugs I've noticed as I've monkeyed with it so far (there may have been others, but I foolishly didn't write them down anywhere).

Battery drain is still very high compared to when I was running reborn rom.
After flashing the sprint fix, my home and menu buttons which were switched are now both functioning as home buttons. Haven't seen this before in the threads.
Flashing skinny-gapps didn't give me the play store. I've been restoring apps via Titanium backup instead. I tried installing the apk from a download, but no luck.

That's all for now. I'll post more after further tinkering.

Thanks again all!

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Sprint fix should have correct keymap now, i kanged it from mirage's sprint fix.
Sorry. That was reported but i did not get to fixing it until yesterday.
If gapps do not fully flash you probly need more /system space.

dradzanowski

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,
My wife likes stability. I like bleeding edge. This ROM has become nearly the perfect fusion of both. Her phone ROM (I think Reborn) is now having some FC issues, that are causing her headache. I want to bring her over, but I also want to wait for the next release, just to give her the most stability possible. Should I wait, or bring her over to the latest build? I've also heard Squid is putting together something sort of on his own. How do I go about that? Where is that squidROM located?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol