[How-To] Root LG Optimus S

Status
Not open for further replies.

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Just had to ask

I have rooted tons of android phone before I try to get it done on a pc is there any way I could get just a zip file an put the phone in its stock recovery and flash the file like that or put the file on astro then use the terminal app to push the file right to the phone just was wondering if i could do it that way thanks for the help can't wait to get started

guitarjac

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
rooting

Never rooted before but really want to with this phone. the question i have first is how do i create the root folder for sdk in windows 7? i know how to create folders on c: but the path is/ instead od \ like is listed .
I dont know this may just be a stupid question but i quess i need it specified a little more...duh.....lol

Gr8hifi

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
My compute --> c: drive (this is your "root" directory). Move your SDK folder here. Rename it to "Android" if you want to match the instructions verbatim.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
It definitely can take multiple tries to get it to take. I tried about 5 times and it kept coming back with the $ symbol. I restarted the phone, first time it didn't work but then it finally came back with the # on the 2nd try. Thanks for this.

I gave up on doing this on my mac and booted up in windows 7. It still took about 10 tries on the directions and a couple of reboots on the phone but I finally got it to take. It must have known I was about to give up for the night..lol.. I still want to figure it out on the mac to help others that dont have windows.

sgleason13b

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
help soon

i am in process of rooting now, and as i get to the install busybox sys bin at the end the response is no such file or directory. everything has been smooth to this point. what to do?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i am in process of rooting now, and as i get to the install busybox sys bin at the end the response is no such file or directory. everything has been smooth to this point. what to do?

Try this. No promises

adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/
adb shell
chmod 4755 /data/local/tmp/busybox
cd /data/local/tmp
adb shell
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
cd /data/local/tmp
./busybox cp busybox /system/bin
cd /system/bin
chmod 4755 busybox
busybox --install /system/bin
exit
exit

Same as before but this is now skipping SU and rageagainstthecage as you've already done that.

stevealaniz

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
First android phone, first attempt at rooting. I'm getting through the instructions and also still getting the $, but I think it's because of the LG drivers. After the installation is finished with the LG update program, I connect my phone and windows goes through the automatic usb modem driver installation, should this happening? Help! Thanks

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
No disrespect to KSmithInNY but has anyone successfully rooted their Optimus S with his instructions?

So far only Me, smcloud, hephaetus, gizmosears, gr8hifi, karnqu, foolforfood, scmastertech, skylacan, and gbhil (and whoever has used these and hasnt posted about it)

I'll post permalinks if you don't feel like reading through the 6 pages. No offense taken BTW ;)

Last edited:

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

You should be rooted just fine. I had a friend who just hit this problem. He went to the market, installed superuser just fine. Then downloaded titanium and hit the "problems" button just for good measure, restarted his phone and now he's rocking and rolling with full root and busybox

Cheers.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Just making sure! Will try now...

If when you get to this step "busybox --install /system/bin" you start having problems then do this.

1) Download superuser (free) from chainsDD in the market
2) Download titanium backup (free) in the market
3) Launch titanium. You should get a request to give it root permissions select always allow. Now in titanium, hit the "problems" button and let it install busybox
4) Reboot phone

Buddie of mine was just having issues with his optimus T and i had him try this and now he's rocking and rolling.

Reactions: joe zack

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
You just have to install what came with the initial download. You don't have to let it download any of the packages (unless you're gonna develop some apps :) ).

Reactions: JoejDE

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
nvm, must be a chromium 9 issue. Downloaded fine in Firefox.

thanks for letting me know!!!! I've deleted and replaced that thing like 5 times because people keep writing me telling me it isnt working. Next time I'll tell them to switch browsers. I was actually inclined to believe them though because we did have some technical difficulties when this thread was created but glad to hear it was just a browser issue. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7