[How-To] Unroot your phone and return to stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

fristuff

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
So would this go back to the state where we bought the phone? Like, even if we get updates, we'll be able to accept it, and even if we wipe data through privacy, it won't be bricked?

optimususer1

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
getting error when trying to update to v9. I placed the file on the root of the sd and renamed it to update.zip

-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (No such file or directory)
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

Nvm. Phone prompted me for and update while I was looking through the forums. Didn't need to manually update.

Last edited:

rmarquez#AC

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Now you should be in GNM's recovery with aqua-colored text. The controls are: Up = VolUP, Down = VolDown, Back = Back, Select = Menu (right of home).

13) Go down to "USB-MS Toggle"
14) Select "USB-MS Toggle SDCard"
15) Download my Stock V8 Nandroid Dump
16) Unzip it into the root of the USB Device/SDCard
17) Safely remove the USB device using your PC OS.
18) Press menu to disable USB-MS Toggle.
19) Press back.
20) Select "Backup/Restore".
21) Select "Nand restore".
22) Select "mem=477M".
23) Select "BCDMRS12-20101122-1915"
24) Press menu to confirm.
25) When the process is complete, DO NOT REBOOT. Nandroid does NOT flash recovery by default, to protect from losing your custom recovery. In this case we WANT to lose it, otherwise we won't be stock, and OTA updates will not work. Therefore we must...
26) adb shell
27) mount /sdcard (if this throws an error about "device or resource busy", just ignore it)
28) cd /sdcard/nandroid/mem=477M/BCDMRS12-20101122-1915
29) flash_image recovery recovery.img
30) reboot

Now you are back to V8 stock! Enjoy!

I'm running into problems right here, I get an error message "Error: run 'android-mobile.sh restore' via adb!

I have thundeRom 1.5, custom recovery and your [OC Kernel] Xionia Kernel 2.6.32.26** on my phone

**flashed thundeRom again to go back to original kernel
i already have v9
any help would be appreciated

Last edited:

lobody94

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Help going back to stock

I am having big time troubles after I rooted and ROMed my Optimus S. I read "[How-To] Unroot your phone and return to stock" but I cant get it to work. I am also using a MAC to add to the mess.

My phones bluetooth is stuck on and when I try to turn it off it reboots my phone but doesnt turn it off. I have tried to restore my nandbackup but that didnt help.

I rooted the phone using z4. I followed Ksmithinny "[How-To] Root, Recovery, ROM without touching a computer" to get recovery, and to flash the thunderrom. Everything was fine until I tried to turn off bluetooth....

I just need / want to go completely back to stock right now. can anyone help me?

When I go to terminal it is telling me permission denied... what am i doing wrong?

Thanks
Glen

Last edited:

lobody94

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Wow, everyone needs to settle down and answer one at time ;)

I have fixed this. I followed the directions the best I could but I was not able to access through the terminal. every time I tried it said permission denied.

Here is what I did to get it back to stock with a custom recovery.

I had my original nandbackup saved and I knew it was up to date with the latest versions but my original backup had some apps and settings messed with and I didnt want to trust it would fix my problem. So I did this....

I booted to recovery
did a factory wipe
cleared both caches

then I loaded my original nandbackup
once I did that I did another factory wipe
clear both caches
made another nandbackup
then rebooted...

It got me back to factory and I fixed my problem.

I have rooted several phones before and I know enough to be dangerous. I have always been able to follow the directions to root phones and if I have problems I can usually get help through the forums that support the device. That was not the case here to say the least I am quite disappointed and I will think twice about installing anyones custom ROM's again. I know I did all this at my own risk and I am not blaming anyone for a bad ROM I just hoped that I could get more help as the **** was hitting the fan with my phone.....

steviee7

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
update.zip not installing

To upgrade to V9:
Due to the kernel being from V9, the phone thinks the firmware is up to date, so you will NOT be prompted for the OTA update. However, since I have a copy of it, you can manually install it. Heres how:

1) Plug phone into PC
2) Enable USB Mass Storage
3) Download the V8 to V9 update and place it in the root of the USB Device/SDCard as "update.zip" (renaming it is important!)
4) run the following from cmd prompt: "adb reboot recovery"
5) You are now at LG's dark-blue recovery screen (should only be 4 options, if not STOP HERE)

6) Select the option with "update.zip"
7) follow instructions on screen (VERY IMPORTANT)

You now have V9 Radio/Baseband and V9 stock update. You can delete the update.zip from your SDCard when you are back into Android.

i followed all instructions and now im back to stock... but when i try to install the update.zip it says "
E:Failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (no such file or directory)
E:signature Verification failed
Installation aborted.
"

but i named it update.zip and placed it on the root of my sdcard... can someone help me?

lobody94

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
i followed all instructions and now im back to stock... but when i try to install the update.zip it says "
E:Failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (no such file or directory)
E:signature Verification failed
Installation aborted.
"

but i named it update.zip and placed it on the root of my sdcard... can someone help me?

That's where I got with mine when I gave up and decided to flash my original backup instead of the one in this thread. Shoot me a pm and i can give you a copy of my clean backup that is working for me. It is the v9

shyamsrd

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I am on stock rom and installed custom recovery. I need to get rid of custom recovery (I did tried nand restore from custom recovery but custom recovery is still there) . can some one give the instructions or do I need to follow from 1st post? thanks in advance

shyamsrd

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I am on stock rom and installed custom recovery. I need to get rid of custom recovery (I did tried nand restore from custom recovery but custom recovery is still there) . can some one give the instructions or do I need to follow from 1st post? thanks in advance

I downloaded the v9 stock recovery.img from OPs web site [God bless Zefie] and did a
#flash_image recovery recovery.img. Now I have a original config.

Now the question is how to take a nand back up or create update.zip of what I have with out custom recovery. Just in case I need in future to get back to original setup?

cr33p

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
That's where I got with mine when I gave up and decided to flash my original backup instead of the one in this thread. Shoot me a pm and i can give you a copy of my clean backup that is working for me. It is the v9

I too am stuck at the exact same spot :( Appears to be back to stock though, phone isn't activated so I cant see if it wants to run an update or not.

spd-racer

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have made a nandroid dump of the complete V8 stock system, including kernel, rom, recovery.. everything except the evil devil RADIO. Restoring to V8 will allow you to accept the Sprint V9 update and update your radio PROPERLY.

It will also allow you to bring your phone in for repair, or just remove any hacks you did so you can sell the phone, ect.

This is 99.9% STOCK. This returns your phone to the state it was when you opened the box.

Thank you for this fix, I was stuck in the custom recovery reboot loop with this recovery. So I just followed the steps from there and it fixed my phone.
Thanks,

TheTolsonator

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
13) Go down to "USB-MS Toggle"
14) Select "USB-MS Toggle SDCard"
15) Download my Stock V8 Nandroid Dump
16) Unzip it into the root of the USB Device/SDCard
17) Safely remove the USB device using your PC OS.
18) Press menu to disable USB-MS Toggle.
19) Press back.
20) Select "Backup/Restore".
21) Select "Nand restore".
22) Select "mem=477M".
23) Select "BCDMRS12-20101122-1915"
24) Press menu to confirm.
25) When the process is complete, DO NOT REBOOT. Nandroid does NOT flash recovery by default, to protect from losing your custom recovery. In this case we WANT to lose it, otherwise we won't be stock, and OTA updates will not work. Therefore we must...

26) adb shell
27) mount /sdcard (if this throws an error about "device or resource busy", just ignore it)
28) cd /sdcard/nandroid/mem=477M/BCDMRS12-20101122-1915
29) flash_image recovery recovery.img
30) reboot

Following the directions to what I would think is to a "T" so to speak...Ive unzip'd the nandroid backup you provided into the root, I see where it went, right next to mine, and when I go to run it, the nandroid restore would fail after a few dots loaded, saying something about nandroid.mobile.

Any ideas?

***UPDATE***

Just rebooted into recovery again, and now I'm assuming its the LG recovery. A lot of the options have disappeared and I'm confused >_<

***UPDATE AGAIN***

Yeah, so I'm afraid I'm a bit of an idiot...When I renamed the file to update.zip, I forgot that I had known file extensions turned off, and I named it update.zip.zip. Retrying.

***FINAL UPDATE***

Hey, sorry for spamming the thread, but I figured it out. I must have gotten a bad download or copy to the phone. I redownloaded it, sent it to the SD card and re-flashed the recovery onto it. I think I'm getting the handle of the Android ecosystem. I'm a big webOS guy sorry :)

Last edited:

cr33p

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else having an issue applying the v9 radio update? getting an error about update.zip not found?

3) Download the V8 to V9 update and place it in the root of the USB Device/SDCard as "update.zip" (renaming it is important!)

Soo to all that may have ran into the same issue, simply rename the file to "update" not update.zip , its already a zip file duh ;) soo yeah im all set now, awesome.

Thanks

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
In case this helps anyone.

The optimus I have came with v9 stock.

I just wanted to get rid of Sprint ID so the phone wouldn't be stuck on the stupid gray activation screen (requiring the use of voice rec workaround to navigate menus and apps), then keep the stock rom and give it to someone less technical to use.

rooted with rageagainstthecage

installed custom recovery partition to create a nandroid backup

installed titanium backup apk

in titanium backup, removed sprint id

Everything was working great, phone booted into a usable state w/o need for extra voice rec shenanigans. I was about the do a ##786 reset then realized that I had installed the custom recovery partition to do the nandroid backup. In hindsight I didn't really need to do that other than to make backups, but it was already done. Didn't want my friend to inadvertently do a reset (or be told by CS to do a reset) and be left with a phone stuck in recovery mode.

Seemed circuitous to go back to v8 just to upgrade to v9. I decided to just flash the v9 recovery.img. I also wanted to verify the recovery.img was indeed the v9 (OP said it was, but never hurts to verify). Took a backup recovery.img I had and ran checksums against the one in the first post. Yup, exactly the same.

I proceeded to flash the recovery.img and reboot.

Then did a ##786 reset.

formatting DATA
formatting CACHE
factory reset
reboot

Phone booted into Android home menu w/o the dreaded Sprint ID configuration. The phone was nice and usable with wifi even without activation. Standard resets through android methods like privacy and ##786 worked fine.

This is on a never activated Optimus S that came with v9 stock.

Anyway, all this is already implied in the instructions of the first post. Just wanted to share my version of how I used these instructions in case it helps someone else.

I'm guessing, in theory, if you were happy with your version of ThunderRom and weren't going to flash new ones anytime soon, you could also just flash the v9 recovery.img and restore the ##786 and Privacy reset functionality, though I didn't test this. That would make it safe to hand over to someone less technical.

Last edited:

sammyesb

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
could someone please tell me how to get to su? I deleted my phone data now when i load up the phone I can only get to the thunderrom adroid recovery screen.

I can connect to usb, move the files, type ADB in the command prompt.

as soon as I put in all the commands i type SU and get the error /sbin/sh: su: not found

can someone please help me?

I sold the phone on eBay and now i have to send it but i need to fix it first :(

Thanks!

sammyesb

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I guess I should explain better since I'm was a bit frantic earlier lol.

So I went into privacy (using Thunderom 1.3) and did a data factory reset. I had no idea it would brick my phone or mess anything up since it was not disabled in the rom.

Now whenever i reboot, remove the battery, or turn off the phone, I am stuck on the Android System Recovery Screen. This is the Thunderom version, not the LG default version.

I wouldnt mind installing 1.6, but when I do it still takes me to the Recovery Screen instead of booting android. I make sure to do a data, davik, and cache wipe before I install 1.6. I also have 1.3 zip and after installing i cant get into Android.

So following the steps on here I am unable to type su on the command prompt because even though my phone can connect with the USB, I cannot get inside android so the SU app wont work.

I have old nand backups but they wont seem to work when i restore them.. What shall I do?

Thank you for any help you guys can provide me!

cmajeski71

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
SO glad I found this guide! but Im having some problems on steps 5 and 6. am I supposed to unzip the recovery kernel and flash_img to my sd card or into the sdk manager tools? Ive tried putting them in both places, and then my next question was when I put in "adb push recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img /sdcard/" it tells me adb: not found, Ive tried it about 20 times to no avail.

Reactions: cc0n01
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy