Idiots Guide to Rooting and Custom ROMs, Optimus S Edition

headcase88

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
yo, whats up guys? i finally got through all the steps

rooted my phone
got custom recovery
made a working backup...i moved the zip file into my SD card and attempted to boot from recovery mode. i recived an error and it was aborted

did i miss something???

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Do you have a full charge on your battery? I've heard you need at least 75% to do flashing (just so your battery doesn't run out and you brick your phone)

ABassLineLow

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Question! I'm using the LG Optimus M with MetroPCS. The custom recovery installed and displays just fine, but my problem is this: I can scroll up and down the menu selections, but I can't actually *select* any of the items. I've tried all 8 buttons, and combinations of buttons, but I can't seem to figure it out. Did anybody else with an Optimus M have this problem and find a solution? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
i need help. 1st time rooting my phone. the # wont show. i typed adb shell than su keeps getting permission denied i even tried adb su and got some crazyness lol umm im stuck and idk what to do from here my phone isnt giving me a message to allow permission either soo?

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Which errors?

yo, whats up guys? i finally got through all the steps

rooted my phone
got custom recovery
made a working backup...i moved the zip file into my SD card and attempted to boot from recovery mode. i recived an error and it was aborted

did i miss something???

Please post the exact errors, so we know what went wrong.

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Steps

i need help. 1st time rooting my phone. the # wont show. i typed adb shell than su keeps getting permission denied i even tried adb su and got some crazyness lol umm im stuck and idk what to do from here my phone isnt giving me a message to allow permission either soo?

After the exploit runs, do you hear the phone cycle through the adb server twice? If your phone's volume is up, you will hear the notification noise twice. The only way I go this to work, was wait for the first noise to come through then hit adb shell before the second noise.

The noise is actually when the adb server cycles.

If this does not work, please post exact details and errors received...

lakegq

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
my experience

I was able to get the # on the first try. then i had to stop and download more files, i had problems downloading the thunderom from mediafire. (really wished it was a torrent) finally i was able to complete the thunderom download. then i went to return to where i was at the # and it was only giving me $. i tried it over and over again, finally i shut everything down rebooted the phone. reopened the sdk applied the commands and # was back. i am now completed with the process. thanks for the great guide.

Reactions: dishe

IRBanite

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Trying the Idiots Guide

Hi all,
New to the forum. I downloaded all the necessary files to root and I get the '$' symbol but when I go to paste this line './rageagainstthecage' I get "./rageagainstthecage: permission denied". Please help. -thanks

UPDATE***got it. Missed one line.

On try #5 and still just getting '$' and not '#'

Last edited:

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Question! I'm using the LG Optimus M with MetroPCS. The custom recovery installed and displays just fine, but my problem is this: I can scroll up and down the menu selections, but I can't actually *select* any of the items. I've tried all 8 buttons, and combinations of buttons, but I can't seem to figure it out. Did anybody else with an Optimus M have this problem and find a solution? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Should just be the menu button (mid-left). If not, could just be that the M registers that key differently than the S does, or something went wrong with your recovery installation (in which case you should try again since you should have adb access still).

If it's the key issue and the recovery author is interested, I can always see about bugging my roommate in to getting whatever info is required from his M to modify the recovery for it. Though will strongly suggest that even if the recovery gets working, don't try to install the custom ROMs for the S on the M - I'm not sure it'd work, and afaik there's no way to go back to stock from a M phone (so there's no turning back).

Also if you got this working on your phone (since it's been a few days), let me know - trying to push my roommate to mod his phone a bit :p

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Wow- just was informed today that Z4root was removed from the market! :/

I'll have to update my first post...

brian.petty80

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Attempting to install custom recovery on Optimus S

I have rooted my Optimus S as per the "Idiots Guide to rooting" and am having some trouble with the last part.

I am attemptimg to install the custom recovery and i am having trouble with this part

1) You need two files, flash_image.zip and recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img.zip, both of which can be found towards the bottom of the original thread. Copy them to the root of your SD card.

2)Plug in the phone like we did in Section 1, and open up the ADB shell (like we did before- enter the cmd, navigate to where your SDK is installed, and type adb shell).
Check your display to see if Superuser is asking you to grant permission to have root access to the commands coming in. Make sure you click to allow it if it asks. You should be greeted with a # prompt (If not, the prompt is not being granted root access and something is wrong).

3)Enter the following commands:
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img
reboot recovery

When I put the two files on the sd card and begin the commands in adb shell I am getting a "file not found" or "invalid length" error.

Does anyone have a clue what is wrong here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
@brian.petty80

Please be as descriptive as you can as to what exactly you are typing in. Are you copy and pasting from the directions?

The clearer you make the picture, the easier we can give you a solution.

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Extract the two files to the SD card and you should be good to go.

If you're in the middle of it and don't want to reboot your phone, grab Astro File Manager from the market, it will let you extract them from the phone.

brian.petty80

May 18, 2010
Visit site
@brian.petty80

Please be as descriptive as you can as to what exactly you are typing in. Are you copy and pasting from the directions?

The clearer you make the picture, the easier we can give you a solution.

Simon,

Yes I am literally copy and pasting the step by step instructions into the adb shell. And again, the time I get the error is when I have already copied the custom recovery files to the root of the sd card and then start to copy and paste the commands in from there.

psaurus81

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a similar problem with the installation. I've included some screenshots of my CMD terminal and of the SD card directory in my phone in case they might be helpful. I've tried putting the .zip archives onto the SD card as well as the files themselves with similar results each time.

custombackupinstall.jpg

customrecovery2.png

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm having a similar problem with the installation. I've included some screenshots of my CMD terminal and of the SD card directory in my phone in case they might be helpful. I've tried putting the .zip archives onto the SD card as well as the files themselves with similar results each time.

Keep going, you're fine. What it's saying is your phone doesn't have a file called install-recovery.sh so it cant complete the command. Because you don't have that file, there's no reason to rename it which is what that command is trying to do. Just move to the next step.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21