02-29-2012 09:41 PM
26 12
tools
    I bricked my brand new LG Optimus S from Sprint. I can't even boot into the recovery mode. If I try to boot normal I get the LG loader splash, but if I boot into recovery by holding HOME+Volume Down+Power the LG loader splash will flash then the goes dim and stays blank (black) while the ancillary buttons are dim-ly illuminated...does anyone know how to reverse this issue and at least get back to the stock 2.2 Froyo...or ThundeROM...I can't seem to get anywhere as of yet and I've been at it for hours...I have no other phone so I'm stuck like chuck for now...

If anyone has the ROM for the stock Froyo it would be much appreciated as well as any possible help...

Thanks
    12-19-2010 12:39 AM
    I believe that there is a guide and a link to the default rom in the roms sub-forum.... not entirely sure though, although alot of people in the custom-recovery thread there have had a similar issue to what you describe. I think there was some suggestions listed in that post, may want to read it carefully for any details that may help.
    12-19-2010 01:20 AM
    I'll take a look...not sure if it will help...I'm trying to find a way to restore it to factory from my pc...
    12-19-2010 01:30 AM
    It looks like that's a no-go...unfortunately since I can't get in recovery or past the splash screen or in recovery mode I don't even get a usb connection...I'm out of ideas...any help?
    12-19-2010 02:31 AM
    mine can no longer get past LG logo. curious what setup u had? Rom and Kernel?
    12-19-2010 01:48 PM
    in order for you to restore or move forward or anything you'll need access to recovery or the homescreen.

I saw someone else say the sprint store took the battery out for a period of time and their phone would boot. You might try that, maybe try booting it after a long rest while it's plugged into the wall or even a USB port. Just tossing some ideas out cause you never know.
    12-19-2010 02:09 PM
    I saw someone else say the sprint store took the battery out for a period of time and their phone would boot.
    that was me, but now it looks DONE. Can't get past the logo again, recovery not possible and store can't do anything. ALL SPRINT STORES ARE OUT OF STOCK.
    12-19-2010 02:34 PM
    that was me, but now it looks DONE. Can't get past the logo again, recovery not possible and store can't do anything. ALL SPRINT STORES ARE OUT OF STOCK.
    If your local Sprint store is out of stock, and they can confirm your phone is toasted, they have the ability to have one over-nighted either to your house or to their store for pick-up. My EVO crapped out on me when there was a nationwide shortage of EVO's and despite all stores being out of stock, the store i worked with had one shipped and in my hand the next day.

Might be worth pursuing if your dead in the water.
    12-19-2010 02:47 PM
    If your local Sprint store is out of stock, and they can confirm your phone is toasted, they have the ability to have one over-nighted either to your house or to their store for pick-up.
    Black is out of stock online. thanks for your help though.
    12-19-2010 03:07 PM
    Thanks guys for all your help...nothing seemed to work so I took it to bestbuy today and they replaced it for free...good thing I hit factory reset before it died on me (which I'm sure caused the issue) because they weren't able to see what happened that made the phone go on me...
    12-19-2010 03:39 PM
    Black is out of stock online. thanks for your help though.
    Damn dude wish i could send mines to you, have an extra one on my other line but shipping it back to close the line off, don't need three lines.
    mxl360 likes this.
    12-19-2010 03:40 PM
    Thanks guys for all your help...nothing seemed to work so I took it to bestbuy today and they replaced it for free...good thing I hit factory reset before it died on me (which I'm sure caused the issue) because they weren't able to see what happened that made the phone go on me...
    Did you originally buy it from BestBuy Because the people at sprint are being total Jerks. They told me that they will send a return box and that they will give me an upgrade but i would have to buy another phone
    12-19-2010 06:11 PM
    according to an online rep, they should get more in stock around the 22nd.

btw .. what are you guys doing that bricks your phone?
    12-20-2010 07:01 AM

I rooted it backed up everything and tried to do a memory wipe
    12-20-2010 08:54 AM

nothing unusual. Worked fine for a week, then one day it restarted by itself and couldn't boot. I was using Thunderbird and the OC kernel.
    12-20-2010 05:15 PM
    nothing unusual. Worked fine for a week, then one day it restarted by itself and couldn't boot. I was using Thunderbird and the OC kernel.
    What is Thunderbird?
    12-20-2010 05:36 PM
    What is Thunderbird?
    I mean Thunderom 1.4 =)
    12-20-2010 06:24 PM
    FYI - charcoal phone back in stock
    mxl360 likes this.
    12-21-2010 02:30 PM
    i'm wondering if that "factory reset" had something to do with the brick
    12-21-2010 08:49 PM
    i'm wondering if that "factory reset" had something to do with the brick
    Doing a factory reset from within the settings menu bricks your phone. Bricked phone #1 that way.
    12-21-2010 09:22 PM
    Maybe that option should be removed from future versions of nRom and ThundeROM, until the cause of the bricking is figured out.
    12-21-2010 09:36 PM
    depends on what recovery he was using. there are many ways to brick this phone. there is no way for us to flash it from a PC as LG requires a special dongle.

While working on trying to get PSFreedom to work I noticed some definitions and apparently it looks for a special cable from LG before kicking into service mode.
    12-21-2010 10:20 PM
    depends on what recovery he was using. there are many ways to brick this phone. there is no way for us to flash it from a PC as LG requires a special dongle.

While working on trying to get PSFreedom to work I noticed some definitions and apparently it looks for a special cable from LG before kicking into service mode.
    Bastards! How dare they. Anyways, yes only happens with the custom recovery.
    12-21-2010 10:29 PM
    Bastards! How dare they. Anyways, yes only happens with the custom recovery.
    we could probably emulate it somehow with one of those usb programmers if we really wanted to get serious but meh. TEP is easier lol
    12-21-2010 10:53 PM
    I bricked my brand new LG Optimus S from Sprint. I can't even boot into the recovery mode. If I try to boot normal I get the LG loader splash, but if I boot into recovery by holding HOME+Volume Down+Power the LG loader splash will flash then the goes dim and stays blank (black) while the ancillary buttons are dim-ly illuminated...does anyone know how to reverse this issue and at least get back to the stock 2.2 Froyo...or ThundeROM...I can't seem to get anywhere as of yet and I've been at it for hours...I have no other phone so I'm stuck like chuck for now...

If anyone has the ROM for the stock Froyo it would be much appreciated as well as any possible help...

Thanks
    Use ADB to flash a recovery image...

Here is CWM... CWMRecovery_5.0.2.7-th3_thunderc.img
    02-29-2012 09:13 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD