[BRICK WARNING]Dont clear phone via Menu>Privacy after custom rec

DKCFDF90

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Back in business

I screwed up and did the no-no and did the stupid privacy wipe. I got everything back using KP500 going to v9. I am now doing the whole root thing to get back to vd root. It was scary for a bit. Didn't want to have to deal with the sprint store.....

Thanks for everyone's help

pb5525

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: [BRICK WARNING]Dont clear phone via Menu>Privacy after custom

My phone turns on, sprint logo flashes, then the word "android" Thats it, 5min go by and it goes black. My computer says it is an unknow device. I cant do anything, how can I load a custom recovory when it is a BRICK!? It is a software issue, because < Like a computer, it goes to load startupn os then gets stuck. I q

pb5525

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site

My phone turns on, sprint logo flashes, then the word "android" Thats it, 5min go by and it goes black. My computer says it is an unknow device. I cant do anything, how can I load a custom recovery when it is a BRICK!? It is a softWARE issue. I read that I can re-install the O/S froyo 2.2.2. I can not locate this one file - LS679ZVC_11.SC_11.P60674.cab does anyone have a clue?please help - pb5525@live.com

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

My phone turns on, sprint logo flashes, then the word "android" Thats it, 5min go by and it goes black. My computer says it is an unknow device. I cant do anything, how can I load a custom recovery when it is a BRICK!? It is a softWARE issue. I read that I can re-install the O/S froyo 2.2.2. I can not locate this one file - LS679ZVC_11.SC_11.P60674.cab does anyone have a clue?please help - pb5525@live.com
The link in the reference section of my signature still works.

Donnell0325

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

I have an LG Optimus T. After rooting, I did a back up and tried to install CM7.1...from ROM manager. It didn't take, that was also with a 4Zroot. Well I downloaded ginger break 1.2 and attemtped to root it that way, but ginger break never took...I assumed that was because the phone was already rooted. Anyhow, I tried a different version, CM7.0 and this time I chose not to back up, but I did chose to wipe both cache. My phone rebooted, but is now stuck on the LG screen. It will not go into recovery mode, I did get it to emergency mode, but my comp is not picking it up. Please help someone.....any one.

Jessicalt1

Lover of all things Andi
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Note to self, I knew that you can't clear via Menu>Privacy and yet I did it anyway! Took awhile but I figured it out.

You have to make sure you have all of the tools downloaded to get your phone recognized in E-mode. KP500, LG Mobile Updater, all drivers, and the zip files where they need to be. Then run the KP500 tool from cmd, which will pop up your mobile updater. The updater will say not connected... boot into E-mode with your 4 hands, and then plug in... it will attempt to update and then say it connection lost... battery pull, plug back in without the finger twister game, and it went from there (at least for me.)

hkazemi

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site

Instead of leaving this "trap" menu option ready to catch users unaware, why don't we do something about it?

(I'm thinking of those of us who load custom Optimus ROMs on our own devices but either never see or forget about this caveat, or those of us who want to help less savvy friends/family use a custom ROM but want to minimize the chances that they get themselves in trouble through this menu option.)

Options/things we could do on the custom ROMs:
1.) remove the menu entry completely
2.) leave the menu entry but disable it/gray it out "permanently" until a proper solution is found
3.) leave the menu entry but change what it triggers so it brings up the "safe" recovery menu instead of trying to do the LG special Factory Reset.
4.) leave the menu entry but add a check to see if the stock recovery is active. If it is active, run the LG special Factory Reset. Otherwise show an error about "Incompatible with custom recovery". Maybe also offer to restore stock LG recovery with warning that stock recovery can only flash stock ROMs.

The source is available...

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

It works fine with Xionia recovery. I suggest just using that instead.

hkazemi

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site

It works fine with Xionia recovery. I suggest just using that instead.

Unfortunately it is not supported in the current version of Xionia, and was never supported with CM7:

Xionia CWMA v1.2518.6 (current version)

Xionia CWMA v1.2518.5
LG-Style Reset option removed, due to causing more trouble than its worth

Xionia CWMA v1.2518.4
DO NOT USE LG-STYLE FACTORY RESET IF YOU ARE RUNNING CM7! Feature will be removed in next version of Xionia CWMA.
Added support for LGE special Factory Reset command.

Source: http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...covery-xionia-clockwork-cwma-v1-2518-6-a.html

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Unfortunately it is not supported in the current version of Xionia
It is supported in the current version. I've used it hundreds of times testing out verious rooting and reverting instructions.

You are confusing the option to do the LG-style reset from within Xionia with doing the LG-style reset the normal way. The latter is supported. When a privacy->reset is detected, control is passed to the stock LG recovery application for it to perform.

hkazemi

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site

It is supported in the current version. I've used it hundreds of times testing out verious rooting and reverting instructions.

You are confusing the option to do the LG-style reset from within Xionia with doing the LG-style reset the normal way. The latter is supported. When a privacy->reset is detected, control is passed to the stock LG recovery application for it to perform.

This isn't clear in the Xionia notes, or from what I've read in this thread. KSmithInNY's post (the 2nd in the thread) and the thread subject itself pretty clearly says don't use Menu->Settings->Privacy->Reset if a custom recovery is installed.

Once you have a custom recovery, you can/should do a wipe through recovery (wipe factory/data). This will wipe all your data. For whatever reason, once a custom recovery is installed, when you try to wipe from the privacy menu, you'll screw your phone up.

It should be clarified that ANYONE WITH A CUSTOM RECOVERY on their optimus S should not do the wipe through privacy. It doesn't matter if you are on LG's stock ROM or not. Once you have a custom recovery, wiping through privacy will mess up your phone. Stock phones, or rooted phones with a stock recovery are absolutely fine. This would only impact phones that have a custom recovery.

Someone is probably going to miss me saying this so it's worth repeating .... IF YOU HAVE A CUSTOM RECOVERY, YOU NEED TO DO YOUR DATA WIPES THROUGH THE RECOVERY (wipe factory/data) NOT THROUGH THE PRIVACY MENU UNTIL THIS GETS SORTED OUT!!!

If this isn't true anymore when using Xionia CWMA v1.2518.6, or only applies to Gingerbread or CM7 ROMs, maybe we can get this warning updated?

Do you know if the current version of ThunderC custom recovery (Ra-2.2.1-GNM) is Menu->Settings->Privacy->Reset safe?

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I really don't have the energy to argue this with you. You are welcome to believe what you want to believe.

As far as I know, ThunderC recovery (even the revised one) still suffers from the problem of not working with privacy->reset (as well as ##786# reset)

I do not use CM7 so I have no experience with (nor did I make statements regarding) their reset methods and whether they are compatible with Xionia.

hkazemi

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site

I really don't have the energy to argue this with you. You are welcome to believe what you want to believe.

As far as I know, ThunderC recovery (even the revised one) still suffers from the problem of not working with privacy->reset (as well as ##786# reset)

I do not use CM7 so I have no experience with (nor did I make statements regarding) their reset methods and whether they are compatible with Xionia.

I was not trying to argue with you. Some things were unclear in this thread about when bricking via Menu>Privacy can be expected and what are ways to avoid it. Thank you for your clarifications.

In summary:
The current Xionia custom recovery MAY be safe from the Menu>Privacy brick warning in some cases. Per your experience, Xionia custom recovery is at least partially compatible with the use of Menu>Privacy on some custom ROMs, however CM7 ROM compatibility is untested.

Old and current ThunderC custom recovery is NOT safe to use with the Menu>Privacy clear.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

It works with stock and stock-derived roms.

PatrickAkridge

"The Button Pusher"
Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

Hey Guys!! I have free time today and was messing with the phone and installed xionia custom recovery, right when I was about the clear data, I saw this and Immediately stopped... If it wasn't for you guys, I would have a bricked Optimus!!! THANKS SO MUCH!

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Ironically, Xionia recovery doesn't suffer from this problem. It has special protections added to prevent/avoid the problematic scenario.

Destrukt16

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

Ok so I rooted this Optimus back in the day. Applied The Xionia Clockwork recovery to it, had sROM as well. and yea long store short my Optimus is bricked in this state.
Boot up the phone no matter what it reads:

Android System Recovery
DO NOT PULL THE BATTERY OUT!!
Formating data..
Formating cashe..
Factory reset..
Reboot phone.

In that order, boots up to LG splash and then gets stuck on the stock Android boot screen. Not the custom sROM one that was on prior to doing the factory reset per LG menu.
Will not boot into recovery, nor download mode. Can't get ADB to read...
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and attempted with replies of progress.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance