Discussion For - Root, Recovery, ROM without touching a computer

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
This is the thread to discuss the sticky on how to Root, Recovery and ROM without a computer.

WARNING WARNING!!! Sprint is pushing out an updated named LS670ZVC starting on 2/7/2011. This update breaks this root process. Open Menu > Settings > about phone > if SW Version = LS670ZVC then this process will not work for you. WARNING WARNING!!!

Last edited:

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I was amazed when I could root and ROM my girlfriends and sisters boyfriends Samsung Vibrant without a computer and under ten minutes coming from the Samsung Moment and HTC Hero. Not too shabby :) Anyways, thanks for the guide and merry Christmas.

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Thank you so much for putting this up Ksmith. I got my phone to do nandroid backup and now I'm ready to flash my to TR V1.5. Do I need to flash anything after that? Oh, and Merry Christmas to everyone.

infid3lkastro

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the post, Ksmith. this is exactly how I got it done only there were no dummy-proof guides like this around. merry xmas.

Sent from my Optimus via Tapatalk

demonic_illusion210

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Everything worked until I started entering the term. commands. It did well with just the SU but the other lines after were the problem, tells me on the second line after SU cannot create file cuz its read only, the one after does well but the next o e says file doesn't exist. That's as far as I have asi don't wish to accidentally brick my Optimus S, I have been searching for a way to do this all day and just rooted my phone Christmas morning so all this is a little new to me. Please Help.

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
@KSmith you can shorten the remount commands

mount -o remount,rw /system /system
mount -o remount,ro /system /system

not only does this work, but it is safer, in case someone typoes the mtdblock # :)

Also, I suggest placing flash_image in /system/xbin rather than /system/bin. :)

Lastly, you have a typo in the recovery image link. Not in the url but in the post. imp.zip :)

Reactions: lcb117

infid3lkastro

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
When I entered su in the terminal emulator it said access denied how do I fix this

sounds like you haven't granted term emu root access. if rooted, when you enter su in term emu superuser app should pop up with request for more permission. go ahead and allow/remember.

Sent from my Optimus via Tapatalk

mike9670

DROID Master
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Everything worked until I started entering the term. commands. It did well with just the SU but the other lines after were the problem, tells me on the second line after SU cannot create file cuz its read only, the one after does well but the next o e says file doesn't exist. That's as far as I have asi don't wish to accidentally brick my Optimus S, I have been searching for a way to do this all day and just rooted my phone Christmas morning so all this is a little new to me. Please Help.

I'm getting same problem with read only error. Rooted and Super User works ok.

luckylui

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanx OP,

I managed to flash my wifes phone using z4root then followed your guide for recovery. Thanx for the help!!! :)

Sent from Point A to Point B