[HOW-TO] Unbrick your phone using KDZ

kingdavidbaker

Jan 7, 2011
www.kingdavidbaker.com
I have tried removing all LG drivers and the support tool and then re-installing. I noticed when I connect my phone and boot into LG recovery tool my computer shows some drivers being installed. It appears many drivers are being installed and most of them show ready to use but there are 4 that show "Unidentified Device Installing driver software...". I tried waiting awhile for the drivers and they eventually install although one fails called "LGE Android Platform USB Modem". Once again tried following the steps in the guide but get the same "extract file error".

kingdavidbaker

Jan 7, 2011
www.kingdavidbaker.com
Zefie cordell

I had the same error until I had LG Support tool running in the background.

So were you able to restore your phone lionedas? If so can you post EXACTLY what you did because simply having the program running in the background does nothing. I've tried this over and over and always get the extract file error.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it does sound like most of the file extraction problem on this thread are related to the cab file it points you to download. I think it is the source rather than the downloaders that are the problem, as multiple people saw the problem.

I like KP500 better anyway, less to install and no dependency on MSXML.

AVanover5

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it does sound like most of the file extraction problem on this thread are related to the cab file it points you to download. I think it is the source rather than the downloaders that are the problem, as multiple people saw the problem.

I like KP500 better anyway, less to install and no dependency on MSXML.

It sounds more like the users were speed reading and didn't "Run as Administrator" when using KDZ. I've used this method because I had to. So it definitely works.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Nah, we figured out the problem.

The cab file referenced in the first post ends up downloading a file that caused the LG Software Updater to come back with a file extract error.

We discovered this when shifting our efforts to using the KP500 tool, which is basically a command line version of KDZ.

One user had downloaded a V9 cab that zefie had archived. Another had the V9 cab from the first post here. The latter had the file extract error from the LG Software Updater tool. The former did not. We compared checksums and found the cab files were different.

I suspect if we had gone back and tried the working V9 cab with KDZ then everything would have worked fine, but we didn't know that at the time we were trying KDZ and everyone was stuck and the file extract error.

Thanks for getting back to us.

AVanover5

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Nah, we figured out the problem.

The cab file referenced in the first post ends up downloading a file that caused the LG Software Updater to come back with a file extract error.

We discovered this when shifting our efforts to using the KP500 tool, which is basically a command line version of KDZ.

One user had downloaded a V9 cab that zefie had archived. Another had the V9 cab from the first post here. The latter had the file extract error from the LG Software Updater tool. The former did not. We compared checksums and found the cab files were different.

I suspect if we had gone back and tried the working V9 cab with KDZ then everything would have worked fine, but we didn't know that at the time we were trying KDZ and everyone was stuck and the file extract error.

Thanks for getting back to us.

Why would this be though? Since the cab from this post has worked successfully before (my output shows proof of this)?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Why would this be though? Since the cab from this post has worked successfully before (my output shows proof of this)?
Don't know, possibly there is some problem with the current download from LG that wasn't present when you downloaded it. Possibly it depends how the file gets downloaded. You could run a checksum comparing the one that worked for you with the current one. A couple of people on this thread all ran into the same extract file error.

It isn't KDZ spitting the error. It is the LG Software Updater tool, which both KDZ and KP500 are calling to do the firmware writing.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
While the cab files for the two users I mentioned above were different

KingDavidBaker's checksum (retrieved from KDZ thread)
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...-software-version-ls670zvc-25.html#post601487

DCJoe's checksum (retrieved from Zefie's archive)
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...-software-version-ls670zvc-24.html#post601474

I just downloaded the cab file from your first post again to re-verify the checksum and it matches what is expected (ie it matches Zefie's archive)

It's possible it was a temporary problem with the LG download site for the cab file that happened to coincide with when all of us were trying KDZ.

denshigomi

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying this procedure on a Optimus V using the associated Optimus V firmware from csmg.lgmobile.com. However, I am getting the same kdz extraction error. I don't suppose anyone knows where to download a working cab file for the Optimus V? I assume I can't flash the Optimus S firmware onto it. Am I mistaken?

AVanover5

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying this procedure on a Optimus V using the associated Optimus V firmware from csmg.lgmobile.com. However, I am getting the same kdz extraction error. I don't suppose anyone knows where to download a working cab file for the Optimus V? I assume I can't flash the Optimus S firmware onto it. Am I mistaken?

No, you can't use the Optimus S firmware. If you're getting that error with the correct cab file then the md5 checksum is incorrect which means the LG site is having transmission issues. So, you'll need to download from another source. Can I see the specific link you downloaded from, just to be sure you've got the correct one?

These may be of some help...
http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/csmg/b2c/client/ezlooks_model_list.jsp?model=VM670
http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/csmg/b2c/client/auth_model_check2.jsp?esn="MEID here"

You can also try using KP500 Utils (a command-line based version of KDZ): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LTQS4EF9

Last edited:

denshigomi

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
No, you can't use the Optimus S firmware. If you're getting that error with the correct cab file then the md5 checksum is incorrect which means the LG site is having transmission issues. So, you'll need to download from another source. Can I see the specific link you downloaded from, just to be sure you've got the correct one?

These may be of some help...
http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/csmg/b2c/client/ezlooks_model_list.jsp?model=VM670
http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/csmg/b2c/client/auth_model_check2.jsp?esn="MEID here"

You can also try using KP500 Utils (a command-line based version of KDZ): MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

The firmware file I tried is: http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/swdata/WEBSW/LGVM670/AVGMBK/VM670ZV4_13/VM670ZV4_13.S4_13.P61007.cab
It's md5 is: bfa3258f18d61c4034b9bdeacf66e3f6

With KP500 and the same cab file, I was able to start the process. Unfortunately, the Analysis step returned this:
Updating is not possible any longer due to a fatal error while the LG Mobile Phone Software Update.
And the log ends with this:
23:49:21 : ****************CheckAndDownload********************
23:49:21 : ******Extract Start VM670ZV4_13.S4_13.P61007.cab*****
23:49:21 : Model Dll Dir(C:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone\)
23:49:21 : ExtractInfo Error(0)
23:49:21 : Extract cab file error.
23:49:21 : [C:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone] オコナ荳ョ サ霖ヲ ステオオ
23:49:21 : RemoveDirectory1 Error(2):C:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone
23:49:21 : !pUpgrade->StartProcessing ... PostMsg STEP_TYPE_ENV_ERROR
23:49:21 : CLGMobileHttp Class シメク・テタロ.
23:49:21 : CLGMobileHttp Class シメク・..
23:49:21 : Page_Error コホコミタヤエマエル
23:49:21 : OnStepMsg STEP_TYPE_ENV_ERROR delete m_pLGCyonUpdate

EDIT: I was renaming the .cab to .kdz. When I used the .cab file directly, the log ended with this error:
00:04:22 : ****************CheckAndDownload********************
00:04:22 : ******Extract Start VM670ZV4_13.S4_13.P61007.cab*****
00:04:22 : Model Dll Dir(C:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone\)
00:04:22 : Extracted C:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone\\VM670ZV4_13.S4_13.P61007.wdb\n
00:04:22 : WDB(or DZ) FullPath(C:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone\\VM670ZV4_13.S4_13.P61007.wdb)
00:04:22 : Extracted C:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone\\VM670ZV4_13.S4_13.P61007.wdh\n
00:04:22 : Necessary information not found\n\nPlease contact via http://www.lgservice.com[009,400,102,102,102].
00:04:22 : [C:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone] オコナ荳ョ サ霖ヲ ステオオ
00:04:23 : !pUpgrade->StartProcessing ... PostMsg STEP_TYPE_ENV_ERROR
00:04:23 : CLGMobileHttp Class シメク・テタロ.
00:04:23 : CLGMobileHttp Class シメク・..
00:04:23 : Page_Error コホコミタヤエマエル
00:04:23 : OnStepMsg STEP_TYPE_ENV_ERROR delete m_pLGCyonUpdate

Any ideas? Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

AVanover5

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
You're definitely using the correct link but I can't be sure if the md5 is correct because I don't have an original to compare it to. But the file extracted so I don't think there was a data transmission error because, at the very least, the header of the file is intact. My best educated guess is there is some communication issue from PC to Phone (In KDZ, it will show "Phone=-1"). In which case, you'll need to uninstall/reinstall all the drivers for the phone as pointed out in the OP (unplug any other unnecessary devices as well, such as USB Mass Storage devices). If it is a data transmission error then you'll need to find a good cab file (the md5 checksum will be different). But again, I highly doubt that was the case.

I would message zefie and see if he knows anything. I looked on his site for an Optimus V cab file (just in case you did actually get a bad cab) but didn't find anything. Index of /zefie/files/cell/LGVM670/cab - Mystic Midnight Files. The_ERROR from xda-developers is a good person to contact as well. Here are a couple of his posts on KDZ:
[HOWTO] Phone not responding at all - last chance to repair - xda-developers
[ROMS] Original LG Firmware list - xda-developers

There are a few posts here describing the use of KP500. I don't think you did anything wrong in your procedure but it doesn't hurt to check. Of course, change according to your cab file and your model. I'm not familiar with KP500, only KDZ. So I couldn't tell you anything specific from the log file (whereas someone else might).
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...brick-method-some-forms-brick.html#post602790
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...-software-version-ls670zvc-24.html#post601470

Last edited:
Reactions: denshigomi

tejesh83

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the suggestions; I appreciate it!

Were you able to figure out how to unbrick your optimus v? I'm in the same boat. I tried flashing to the Sprint VC rom and my phone would not boot just hangs at the spring logo (i know, stupid, probably shouldn't of done that =)). Now I'm trying to restore to the Virgin Mobile stock rom, but I get the same fatal error in the LG update tool.

Did you figure out how to unbrick? Do you know how to get the Optimus V into emergency mode (i can't get the buttons in the OP to work)? Any tips would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

dailllestjc

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I cant flash here the error i get *****CheckPCSyncPrograms Start*****
17:13:30 : PCSyncPrograms Not Found
17:13:31 : CLGMobileHttp Class ?Ҹ????.
17:13:31 : CLGMobileHttp Class ?Ҹ?...
17:13:31 : ****************CheckAndDownload********************
17:13:31 : ******Extract Start c:KP500-Utils-EN-v0.4.2\LS670ZV7.cab*****
17:13:31 : Model Dll Dir(C:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone\)
17:13:31 : ExtractInfo Error(0)
17:13:31 : Extract cab file error.
17:13:31 : [C:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone] ???丮 ???? ?õ?
17:13:31 : RemoveDirectory1 Error(2):C:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone
17:13:32 : !pUpgrade->StartProcessing ... PostMsg STEP_TYPE_ENV_ERROR