AOSP Android 2.2 FroYo! 1/22/11 New Build Posted

scifan

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm now going to try to compile AOSP for "user" instead of "engineer" to see if it makes a difference. If this doesn't work, I'm going to stop using LG's instructions and follow some for the Nexus One (making necessary edits along the way). I have no idea why LG made it so difficult to do this... It's still 2.2, so it shouldn't be this difficult.

Ran into this tidbit:

To build a final release on a 32bit machine, we must modify some files and use the target option "user" (default is "eng", which is only a debug build for the emulator).

here... while he's trying to build Gingerbread... this seemed important from what you'd been talking about above.
Lets bake us a gingerbread :) - xda-developers

mrinehart93

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Ran into this tidbit:

To build a final release on a 32bit machine, we must modify some files and use the target option "user" (default is "eng", which is only a debug build for the emulator).

here... while he's trying to build Gingerbread... this seemed important from what you'd been talking about above.
Lets bake us a gingerbread :) - xda-developers

Yup I've been reading that thread. Once I changed the target to user, stuff started to work.

lazeballz

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Been following the post for several days now and i do applaud your efforts.

I see the benefits of utilizing AOSP on our phones, but it seems to revolve around using CyanogenMod, utlimately.

Coming from a mt3g/Hero/sapphire/32B - I enjoyed Cyanogenmod, but i eventually switched over to WG-Kernel and even SuperAmtel's...Its been a while and Im a bit lazy to do the research, but im pretty sure those werent based off Cyanogenmod. (correct me if im wrong).

What im trying to say is that with all the hard work that you are putting into it - im sure that this small, but crafty community of Optimus users could come up with a rom that could be much more efficient for our phones, without using Cyanogenmod.

Im no hater or anything, but again i just feel that all your work could be shooting something greater than Cyanogenmod for our phones specifically!

Keep up the good work!

scifan

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
was interesting... followed one post and was able to compile under 32 bit ubuntu...

Following a second version told me I had to run 64bit...

mrinehart93

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
scifan, when you initialize the repo, make sure to use -b froyo... otherwise you'll pull down stuff from the MASTER branch, which will be Gingerbread. I've been able to compile Froyo with 32-bit ubuntu.

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. I tried compiling 2.3 on my 32bit and after changing everything needed it errored out on something else I haven't gotten past yet. Ill try doing Eng.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

mrinehart93

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. I tried compiling 2.3 on my 32bit and after changing everything needed it errored out on something else I haven't gotten past yet. Ill try doing Eng.

Hamagc, we are working on 2.2 :) 2.2 should compile fine on 32-bit.

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm hoping the step in version doesn't make too much difference. Biggest problem is time lol. I'm trying to use your work for reference.

mrinehart93

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I've been talking with mik_os, who is attempting the gingerbread port for the P500, and he told me that the way to get the drivers to load is to get the correct libs. So, I am going to post up the current ROM I have working so that you guys can help me out :) Basically what you will need to do is swap out libs from /system/lib in a stock ROM into the AOSP ROM. If I'm the only one trying at this and testing it, it could take quite awhile.

mrinehart93

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm hoping the step in version doesn't make too much difference. Biggest problem is time lol. I'm trying to use your work for reference.

The difference in 2.2 and 2.3 for us is kind of bad for us, right now. Mainly because there is no phone using our hardware that has official 2.3, therefore some stuff won't work, such as GPU acceleration, so the phone will run very slow. I think focusing on getting a complete AOSP 2.2 right now would be better than having a slow, incomplete 2.3.

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I've been talking with mik_os, who is attempting the gingerbread port for the P500, and he told me that the way to get the drivers to load is to get the correct libs. So, I am going to post up the current ROM I have working so that you guys can help me out :) Basically what you will need to do is swap out libs from /system/lib in a stock ROM into the AOSP ROM. If I'm the only one trying at this and testing it, it could take quite awhile.

So these need to be swapped out one by one? Is there some sort of reference that explains what libs do what, that way when one is swapped out that specific function can be tested? I just looked and there are a LOT of libs! lol A list that references their functions would be a tremendous help. If we get 4 of 5 people testing/swapping these it can be done pretty quick, assuming none need modifications :eek:

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I thought our gpu was adreno 200? Which is what the n1 has. I figured since no one was working on it I would take a stab. When I can ill try a 2.2 build and try to move some libs around.

mrinehart93

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
So these need to be swapped out one by one? Is there some sort of reference that explains what libs do what, that way when one is swapped out that specific function can be tested? I just looked and there are a LOT of libs! lol A list that references their functions would be a tremendous help. If we get 4 of 5 people testing/swapping these it can be done pretty quick, assuming none need modifications :eek:

Unfortunately, there aren't any (at least that I am aware of).

This might help a little bit though:

EGL, Adreno, GL, openGL: All related to GPU
bluez: bluetooth

I've just been guessing stuff off of terms like that.

scifan

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I'd initialized as -b froyo-plus-aosp.... I'm reinstalling my dev environment as 64 bit...

I noticed that many of the differences between LG's code and stock code was the addition of the license text...

One directory had quite a few changes... Davlik only had one file...

Found it interesting that you had to download the tool chain to compile the kernel...

I'm assuming you grabbed your current running config...

Always interesting to take a look at the make menuconfig for the kernel...

mrinehart93

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I'd initialized as -b froyo-plus-aosp.... I'm reinstalling my dev environment as 64 bit...

I noticed that many of the differences between LG's code and stock code was the addition of the license text...

One directory had quite a few changes... Davlik only had one file...

Found it interesting that you had to download the tool chain to compile the kernel...

I'm assuming you grabbed your current running config...

Always interesting to take a look at the make menuconfig for the kernel...

Yeah... I was able to boot the "unpatched" AOSP on my phone. By the way, why did you put in "-b froyo-plus-aosp"? AFAIK, just typing in froyo gets it right. For the toolchain, you can get that from the prebuilt folder in the AOSP ROM folder.

scifan

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Yeah... I was able to boot the "unpatched" AOSP on my phone. By the way, why did you put in "-b froyo-plus-aosp"? AFAIK, just typing in froyo gets it right. For the toolchain, you can get that from the prebuilt folder in the AOSP ROM folder.

I'd messed up the part download... And noticed that rev... I want sure what the difference was but figured if give it a try...

I actually started downloading a CM6.1 rev at one point...

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I know this isn't a lot of help but this is were i go to search around for different lib names and what they do. Sensors | Android Open Source on the right where it says system go thru the options and it list a hand full of lib files and what they do. I know theres another link that basically tells what every lib is/does but i can't seem to find it ill keep looking and post it if i find it.

mrinehart93

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I know this isn't a lot of help but this is were i go to search around for different lib names and what they do. Sensors | Android Open Source on the right where it says system go thru the options and it list a hand full of lib files and what they do. I know theres another link that basically tells what every lib is/does but i can't seem to find it ill keep looking and post it if i find it.

Thanks! That should help A LOT. I've been spending so much time devving on this I'm going to take a break for awhile fyi... maybe like 2 or 3 days. I haven't done much in the outside world lol.

scifan

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
My wife wouldn't let me stay that involved for too long of a period of time...

(been at the childrens museum for several hours now...)

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! That should help A LOT. I've been spending so much time devving on this I'm going to take a break for awhile fyi... maybe like 2 or 3 days. I haven't done much in the outside world lol.

Ill keep looking for the other link, i know the feeling,its like sometimes you almost forget what the sky looks like.lol