Seamlessly switching ROMs

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Had been thinking of trying out nROM and now that Lego ROM is available I definitely want to try it out. However since this requires a full wipe, I'd like to be sure ahead of time that I can seamlessly restore as much of my current configuration as possible. Figured I'd ask those that have done this before - when I first loaded TR I was starting with a fresh phone so I let the process blow away everything and started over. Don't want to do that again.

Contacts - these I know are synched with Google.

ROM - I will perform a nand backup but this wont be used when loading a new one.

Apps - my biggest question. If I have apps stored on the SD via the built in Froyo apps2sd and some others moved by force via Titanium Backup, will TB be able to restore all the apps and associated data after being installed?

Launcher configuration - I assume if the above isn't a problem then my ADW EX will. E loaded back. Will a backup and restore of that restore widgets too? I know this wasn't possible in LP but didn't see anything on it in ADW.

Widget configuration - settings like weather location or android agenda widget configuration - are those stored by TB?

Messages - is there any way to save SMS and MMS?

Ringtones, alarms, and other system configuration - any way to save these?

Thanks ahead of time for any insight.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Had been thinking of trying out nROM and now that Lego ROM is available I definitely want to try it out. However since this requires a full wipe, I'd like to be sure ahead of time that I can seamlessly restore as much of my current configuration as possible. Figured I'd ask those that have done this before - when I first loaded TR I was starting with a fresh phone so I let the process blow away everything and started over. Don't want to do that again.

Contacts - these I know are synched with Google.

ROM - I will perform a nand backup but this wont be used when loading a new one.

Apps - my biggest question. If I have apps stored on the SD via the built in Froyo apps2sd and some others moved by force via Titanium Backup, will TB be able to restore all the apps and associated data after being installed?

Launcher configuration - I assume if the above isn't a problem then my ADW EX will. E loaded back. Will a backup and restore of that restore widgets too? I know this wasn't possible in LP but didn't see anything on it in ADW.

Widget configuration - settings like weather location or android agenda widget configuration - are those stored by TB?

Messages - is there any way to save SMS and MMS?

Ringtones, alarms, and other system configuration - any way to save these?

Thanks ahead of time for any insight.

nROM doesn't require a wipe. Just "flash and dash." Just make sure you make a nandroid backup before flashing.

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Titanium backup will not restore all apps back to the SD card, though it will back up all configuration and such. ADW launcher will keep the widget places, but will display a "Problem Loading widget" Message, so you'll need to replace all of them. Titanium Backup also apparently restores SMS/MMS (doesn't say it anywhere that I'm aware of so I had a separate app that I backed up SMS messages in... but I checked my messages after my TB restore, and they were all there)

Ringtones and such also seemed to be saved, though my message sound didn't play when I got a text message in the middle of the restore.

Basically only thing that I wasn't able to save with Titanium Backup is my account configuration; I still had to add that in manually.

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Oh yea I did read that.. thanks Nick, but the questions still stand as I think I'm gonna flash Lego ROM.

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking the same. Lego Rom looking good, thinking about try it out but I want to see how others like it. Thanks to all the dev that make all these roms availble for our phone. Peace...