Status
Not open for further replies.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Rooting the LG Optimus S with software version LS670ZVC

If you have the new software version LS670ZVD, this

guide won't work! Please see this post!

For those wanting to take the shortcut: http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...optimus-s-control-center-1-0-016-updated.html

Big Fat Disclaimer:
1) Make sure you read this guide in it's entirety before attempting root.
2) If you need clarification on any of the steps outlined in this guide, ask before experimenting!
3) As with all Android modifications/tweaks, there is ALWAYS a risk of bricking your device. Make sure you understand all of the steps in this guide before attempting to root your device.
4) Last but not least, I am not responsible for bricks due to your mistakes! You are performing these steps at your own risk.

READ THIS FIRST!!! If you accepted the OTA update (didn't use the LGMobile update tool), this guide will not work as-is. You will first need to force-flash the previous version of the software (V9), then update to VC using an alternative method. Instructions for doing this can be found here. If your phone came with ZVC (or ZVD), this also applies to you!

OWNERS OF OPTIMUS S DEVICES WHO CAN'T UPDATE WITH THE LG UPDATE TOOL:

I think we figured out why some LS670 units aren't able to get the VC update using the LG Software Updater tool anymore. It has to do with refurbished units coming with new MEIDs which likely aren't registered in LGs MEID database. The LG Software Updater tool likely interprets a failure for the software check (which is based on MEID) as no updates available and tells the user they are up to date.

See this thread for more details.
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...g-software-updater-ls670zvc-4.html#post637034

WARNING!!!! If you previously reverted to the stock ROM and DIDN'T restore the stock recovery (meaning you still have custom recovery), this guide will not work as-is. If you are running VC and you have either drellisdee's Custom Recovery or Xionia CWMA, all you need to do is flash FlashRootVD-signed.zip which can be found at the bottom of the LS670ZVD rooting guide.

Custom Recovery Notice: With this new software version (and root method) you CAN install drellisdee's Custom Recovery. The instructions can be found here and do not need to be changed, though I will recommend Custom Recovery 1.2 which can be found here.

Alternate Custom Recovery: You may also elect to use Zefie's Xionia Clockwork Recovery. Like drellisdee's recovery, Xionia Clockwork is a fantastic custom recovery. Both are highly recommended, the choice is up to you. Again, the instructions do not need to be changed.

This guide assumes you have added the Android SDK tools directory to your PATH variable. Instructions for Windows 2000/XP can be found here. Instructions for Windows Vista/7 can be found here. With the latest version of the Android SDK, the default tools folder is "platform-tools" which is in the "Android\android-sdk-windows" folder in Program Files. With some versions of the Android SDK the default tools folder is simply "tools" which is in the "Android\android-sdk-windows" folder in Program Files. Your mileage may vary.

The su, busybox and rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin binaries are included in OptimusRoot.zip, which is attached to this post.
Make sure you extract the files to an easily accessible folder.

The V8_to_V9 update zip can be found here.
This file must be placed on the root of your sdcard PRIOR to doing anything outlined in this guide.

Many thanks go to Zefie's hard work, more directly this post for providing the rooting method.

Special thanks to Nick7, Zefie, Beezy, and everyone else who tries so hard to free this awesome device from the hands of LG. You guys rock.

Finally, super special thanks to cordell, DCJoe, KingDavidBaker, KSmithInNY and sfhub for putting their phones at risk to solve the OTA update hurdle. You guys also rock. If there is anyone I missed, let me know and I'll add you to the list.

Now, on to the guide.

1) Fire up a terminal (cmd.exe on Windows)

2) Change to the directory where you extracted the files from OptimusRoot
cd C:\wherever\you\put\the\files
3) Reboot in LG's recovery mode
adb reboot recovery
4) Using the Volume-Up and Volume-Down keys, select the option labeled "apply sdcard:update.zip" and press the Menu key.
THIS STEP IS NOT OPTIONAL!!! This will produce an expected error message and is used to trigger the mounting of the /system partition.

5) Push the required files to the sdcard (NOT /data/local/tmp, that will fail)
adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /sdcard/rageagainstthecage
adb push su /sdcard/su
adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox
6) Fire up the shell
adb shell
7) Change to the sdcard directory
cd /sdcard
8) OPTIONAL: Some users have reported this step as necessary. Your mileage may vary, though it probably doesn't hurt to do it anyway.
/system/bin/chmod 777 /sdcard/rageagainstthecage
9) Run rageagainstthecage (this will disconnect and reconnect your device twice, let it sit for a minute to make sure)
./rageagainstthecage
If that doesn't work, you can try
/sdcard/rageagainstthecage
10) Fire up the shell (again)
adb shell
11) You should have a "#" instead of "$". If you still have "$" try this guide again, starting from step 1.

12) Mount the /system partition read-write
/system/bin/mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /system /system
13) Change to the sdcard directory
cd /sdcard
14) Copy su and busybox to /system/bin
./busybox cp su /system/bin
./busybox cp busybox /system/bin
15) Set correct permissions on su and busybox
cd /system/bin
/system/bin/chmod 4755 su
/system/bin/chmod 4755 busybox
16) Exit the shell
exit
exit
17) You're done! You may now reboot, install SuperUser from the Market (author: ChainsDD) and have fun with your rooted Optimus!
If you don't install Superuser and ask why you can't get root access, you will be slapped. Hard. :p

Last edited:

lichan

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Good job on getting this up so quick. You probably should tell readers where to get ADB, etc. and how to connect their phone to the PC with USB Debugging turned on, etc., to make it self-contained and completely step-by-step.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Good job on getting this up so quick. You probably should tell readers where to get ADB, etc. and how to connect their phone to the PC with USB Debugging turned on, etc., to make it self-contained and completely step-by-step.

I will be working on a more complete guide with all those steps, I just wanted to get something up now so people who HAD root before can have root once again.

Last edited:

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
ohh exciting!

that was making me mad yesterday until i realized why i was getting a handsfree activation error.

ltrz

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
tried..get stuck at.. step 7. (cd /sdcard) just get $ and anything from step 7 and on. gets permission denied ...

ltrz

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
yeah. files are in sdcard and just tried...

/system/bin/cd /sdcard

got this...
/system/bin/cd /sdcard
/system/bin/cd: not found

ltrz

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
see thats where it goes no where for me....

when i do ./rageagainstthecage

no disconnect or anything (no matter how much time i let go by)..i just get the following right away...

./rageagainstthecage
./rageagainstthecage: permission denied

ltrz

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
cmdcopy.jpg

this is what i get

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Those "Operation not permitted" errors are expected and mean absolutely nothing. Try the guide again, starting with step 1 and let me know what happens.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
lol i fear that there is a typo in the howto.

./rageagainstthecage should be /rageagainstthecage shouldn't it? (no .)

Nope.

The reason we type "./rageagainstthecage" is because we have cd'd to the /sdcard directory and are running the exploit straight from that.

However, you could try "/sdcard/rageagainstthecage"

Status
Not open for further replies.