Un-Brick method for SOME forms of brick

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Have not had this issue. Is there any chance there is a typo in the config you are using in kp500 utils? I put my cabs in C:\ as v8.cab v9.cab vC.cab so I can just put

LS670
C:\vC.cab
LS670ZVC

Also try with V9 or V8.

No dont think so, it wouldnt get to the point of updating if it couldnt un-decompress the cab. I will try with V9 later, stressfull! lol

You mean your replacement phone is bricked also? Man, that is rough.

Well, hopefully if you get it back up, it'll also help someone else.

No, replacement is A-OK :) That would be F'ed up, I would be kicking this PC/phone by now LMAO

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I just tried with V9 and FAIL. To give a idea where it fails I get to line 76 HERE Then I get the message of connection. No matter what way I pull and reconnect cable I stall at the same spot and fail. Only thing I can think of is removing the sprint splash images, I extracted kernel, deleted them (no placeholder) and recompiled. Remember how it messed with the USB and plugging the phone in, it would automatically reboot it.I tried diff USB ports, everything.

Even the original LG Updater Tool offers me the update while in emergency mode, but FAIL's when checking phone connection. I am thinking jacked up USB cable but I am able to charge, transfer files, all the norm with my USB cable...

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I just tried with V9 and FAIL. To give a idea where it fails I get to line 76 HERE Then I get the message of connection. No matter what way I pull and reconnect cable I stall at the same spot and fail. Only thing I can think of is removing the sprint splash images, I extracted kernel, deleted them (no placeholder) and recompiled. Remember how it messed with the USB and plugging the phone in, it would automatically reboot it.I tried diff USB ports, everything.

Even the original LG Updater Tool offers me the update while in emergency mode, but FAIL's when checking phone connection. I am thinking jacked up USB cable but I am able to charge, transfer files, all the norm with my USB cable...

it went to 100, it was success. if your phone is still a brick you bricked something that the cab doesnt flash like data cache boot recovery

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
it went to 100, it was success. if your phone is still a brick you bricked something that the cab doesnt flash like data cache boot recovery

Thats not my log file, that is one that was posted in this thread, I posted it to show that line 76 is as far as I can get. Once line 76 hits it will be 4%, then I get the connection thing, no matter what I do when it restarts it will start the update process over, then FAIL at the same spot :( I was thinking DarkTremors a2sd may be the issue, but before I bricked I had wiped and nandroided to my stock nandroid. No matter what makes this phone FAIL, if this works for 9 out of 10 phones it is still a success! Heck if it fixes half it is still awesome! I was hoping I could make it work, as there are a few things I want to try with the S (firerats) but am even more leery now, lol. The only logical reason I can come up with for the FAIL is the way I applied the update. I took it from the phone cache, moved it to sd card, rebooted recovery, flashed it to my stock nandroid. It verified and started installing, it was looking goog, lol. Then when it reached its end it asked me to finish install by rebooting using menu or pushing power if I recall correctly. I chose menu, as soon as I push reboot system it said writing radio image, then went straight to the silver LG/ICON screen where it has been since. If I boot the phone it will bootloop, every 5 minutes or so the phone will flash black and the silver LG will come right back, like a bootloop. I am tempted to do the VC update to my replacement and roll back to V9 and re-root, perhaps I will go buy a new usb cable first, just to rule that out :)

My replacement phone is CRAZY, I can clock to 864 stable! But I keep it at 806 :)

And scratch that thought about my editing of the kernel, I was not on that bootimage. I had nandroided back to my stock (still had custom recovery)

Last edited:

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Thats not my log file, that is one that was posted in this thread, I posted it to show that line 76 is as far as I can get. Once line 76 hits it will be 4%, then I get the connection thing, no matter what I do when it restarts it will start the update process over, then FAIL at the same spot :( I was thinking DarkTremors a2sd may be the issue, but before I bricked I had wiped and nandroided to my stock nandroid. No matter what makes this phone FAIL, if this works for 9 out of 10 phones it is still a success! Heck if it fixes half it is still awesome! I was hoping I could make it work, as there are a few things I want to try with the S (firerats) but am even more leery now, lol. The only logical reason I can come up with for the FAIL is the way I applied the update. I took it from the phone cache, moved it to sd card, rebooted recovery, flashed it to my stock nandroid. It verified and started installing, it was looking goog, lol. Then when it reached its end it asked me to finish install by rebooting using menu or pushing power if I recall correctly. I chose menu, as soon as I push reboot system it said writing radio image, then went straight to the silver LG/ICON screen where it has been since. If I boot the phone it will bootloop, every 5 minutes or so the phone will flash black and the silver LG will come right back, like a bootloop. I am tempted to do the VC update to my replacement and roll back to V9 and re-root, perhaps I will go buy a new usb cable first, just to rule that out :)

My replacement phone is CRAZY, I can clock to 864 stable! But I keep it at 806 :)

if only you could wipe /dev/mtd/mtd7 and /dev/mtd/mtd8 ;p

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm failed at 4%, too. :(
Any solutions?

From what I understand at 4% it should tell you communication has been lost, right? When that happens you need to pull the USB cable from the phone, then re-insert it and click the "restart" button on the tool/updater. This in most cases seems to make it work, the 4% point is "step 11" in thread. How did you brick, did you flash the update from your custom recovery?

nikc4

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Bricked my Optimus

So I unrooted and restored my phone to stock, then updated to vc using the updater, then re rooted. When i realized that titanium backup didn't restore texts, i did a nand restore to before i did all that stuff, in an effort to backup the texts and backed them up using a seperate app. i then booted into recovery again and tried to restore the nand backup from AFTER i updated and rerooted. it went for a while until the screen was nothing but little white periods and then i got tired of it, googled it, and was told to pull the battery. so i did, and when i tried to boot back up, i get stuck on the lg logo screen and didn't get anywhere. Just an fyi to anyone else out there that doing those things, in that order, can brick your phone. I haven't found a method yet that lets me un brick, so it's looking like a trip to the sprint store is in order. If anyone has any tips, please pass them on.

O.a.T.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
So I unrooted and restored my phone to stock, then updated to vc using the updater, then re rooted. When i realized that titanium backup didn't restore texts, i did a nand restore to before i did all that stuff, in an effort to backup the texts and backed them up using a seperate app. i then booted into recovery again and tried to restore the nand backup from AFTER i updated and rerooted. it went for a while until the screen was nothing but little white periods and then i got tired of it, googled it, and was told to pull the battery. so i did, and when i tried to boot back up, i get stuck on the lg logo screen and didn't get anywhere. Just an fyi to anyone else out there that doing those things, in that order, can brick your phone. I haven't found a method yet that lets me un brick, so it's looking like a trip to the sprint store is in order. If anyone has any tips, please pass them on.

Try removing your battery and your sd card, wait 10 minutes, install battery but not sd card, and try powering up. If that doesn't work, remove battery and wait 10 minutes again, and try booting to custom recovery and if successful, boot from there. Good luck.

nikc4

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

Can you get to recovery?

Edit - @capt
jinx! Lol :)

No, i can't get into recovery, and no, i can't unbrick with the kdz method. I'm currently attempting Beezy's "Pure Awesome" Method, to see if it works, and if not, i'll try the battery trick O.a.T is recommending. Thanks for the help.

Edit: The Pure Awesome method worked, my phone functions again. I'm gonna be careful with this thing now.

Last edited:

JINXR65

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
A HUGE THANK YOU!!!!

This fixed my VCRom 007 brick!!!!!

EDITED TO ADD:

This is weird. When it booted up, all of my icons and home layout was exactly how it was before I applied the VCRom 007. ???? I didn't expect that to happen

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
This is weird. When it booted up, all of my icons and home layout was exactly how it was before I applied the VCRom 007. ???? I didn't expect that to happen
That information is contained in /data. If /data isn't cleared you'll have remnants of previous installs which may or may not be useful in your new ROM.

If you wipe /data and /cache from the recovery menu, everything will start rebuilding from scratch, except for the stuff you have installed in /system (like superuser/root).