Un-Brick method for SOME forms of brick

javascriptvoid

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
i also found out to today you got to be patient with this damn lg screen it might take it 5minutes to get past the boot screen but it will and now im back to normal thanks peeps

pomeray

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I was stuck at the LG boot screen and couldn't boot to recovery. Tried this method about 20 times and it failed at 99% every time. I finally tried the V9 cab and Version: LS670ZV9_20. Success! Now the phone boots every time and I get to recovery. Working on upgrading & rooting again now.

Ruff

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
i still had no luck with this method of unbricking so after a trip to the sprint store i now have a fully functional phone that i can turn off and back on without any problems. unfortunately its not my original phone the store rep tried a few tricks of his own with no change in outcome so he did a full equipment swap for a brand new one.

Makatomotors

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
ok so i had the OTA update

i used kp500 to revert back to v9, but i DID NOT remember to install the V9 recovery when i reverted (did not realize i missed this at the time)
i used lgmobile update program and updated to VC
phone is working fine
I go to use Optimus S Control Center

it never rebooted twice
after some research i relized that i din't remember to install the V9 recovery when i reverted.

So...

i go to restart the process and force v9 and now am getting

23:03:15 : ****************CheckAndDownload****************** **
23:03:15 : ******Extract Start LS670ZV9.cab*****
23:03:15 : Model Dll Dir(C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LGMOBILEAX\Phone\)
23:03:15 : ExtractInfo Error(0)
23:03:15 : Extract cab file error.
23:03:15 : [C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LGMOBILEAX\Phone] ???丮 ???? ?õ?
23:03:15 : RemoveDirectory1 Error(2):C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LGMOBILEAX\Phone
23:03:16 : !pUpgrade->StartProcessing ... PostMsg STEP_TYPE_ENV_ERROR
23:03:16 : CLGMobileHttp Class ?Ҹ????.
23:03:16 : CLGMobileHttp Class ?Ҹ?...
23:03:16 : Page_Error ?κ??Դϴ?

i have checked the cab file and it appears to be named correctly now.. so idk where to go from here

C:\KP500-Utils-EN-v0.4.2>dir *.cab
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is A847-58B1

Directory of C:\KP500-Utils-EN-v0.4.2

02/25/2011 11:10 AM 99,220,700 LS670ZV9.cab
1 File(s) 99,220,700 bytes
0 Dir(s) 12,293,926,912 bytes free

C:\KP500-Utils-EN-v0.4.2>
23:03:17 : OnStepMsg STEP_TYPE_ENV_ERROR delete m_pLGCyonUpdate

*EDIT* I just realized that I have no service anymore

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
*EDIT* I just realized that I have no service anymore
Are you on the right thread? It seems you are following the directions to revert to V9 using KP500 in diag mode, but you are posting in the thread about unbricking by using KP500 in emergency mode.

Which problem are you currently having? No service or not being able to get KP500 to complete?

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Are you on the right thread? It seems you are following the directions to revert to V9 using KP500 in diag mode, but you are posting in the thread about unbricking by using KP500 in emergency mode.

Which problem are you currently having? No service or not being able to get KP500 to complete?

Oops, I sent him to the wrong thread :p

His issue is not being able to get KP500 to complete. I've never had any issues with KP500 so I figured I'd send him along to the only KP500 thread I remembered seeing.

Whoops, my bad. Sorry!

SFHUB: You should make THIS it's own thread. If you don't want to, I will :)

skeletonbones

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey just thought I'd post my find, even if it's kind of un-specific. Honestly I'm not sure how or why it worked.

I've been going back and forth between this thread and another thread on the same topic, the theory on the other being that if you plug it in enough without the battery, it will eventually give you the "Insert Battery" prompt, which magically un-bricks it. I didn't have any luck with that, so I tried here. I tried multiple times with the VC update, and then tried the V9 update instead, like pomeray suggested, and didn't SEEM to have any luck with that either. However, once the V9 update failed, I disconnected my Optimus from the PC and plugged it into my wall charger (all without the battery inserted) and finally got the "Insert Battery" prompt! I did so, and voila! Un-bricked. Not sure what kind of black magic i stumbled upon here, or if it can be repeated, but that's what worked for me.

Granted, I'm letting it charge up right now, and haven't tried to shut it off or get into recovery, so I'm not certain just HOW fixed it is.

Update: Shut phone off and attempted to boot into recovery - re-bricked.

Update: I've managed to brick and un-brick my phone 4 times now this way. It seems to only remain unbricked until I reboot. Any ideas on what I need to do? My end goal is to have the latest baseband version so that I can flash the latest version of thundeROM.

Last edited:

lowwang

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Much Thanks!

Much thanks to all of you good people. I finally got UnBricked!

I had installed VC through the LG updater. Installed Thunderom 1.7.0. Life was good. Then I turned the phone off, and BAM. LG brick. My situation was compounded by the fact that even with my wife to help press buttons, I could NOT get the Emergency Mode screen to turn on. It just sat there with a blank screen. With the hard buttons at the bottom lighting up though, I figured What the hell... Using the VC wad wouldn't work for me. After getting to 99% it would error out and no boot. I tried the V9 and it errored out again at 99% only this time, my phone went into the 'Battery Required' Screen. I put the battery in and it went to the charging screen. Figuring What the hell, I tried to boot into recovery. Success! Flashed to Stock Rom and recovery just to be safe and upgraded to V9. So far so good. I've reboot and Shutdown completely with no ill effects.

The big thing for me was that even though the 'E-mode' screen wasn't on, I was still able to get the k500 to see the 'E-mode' function.

Cheers!

Reactions: tilltheend

skeletonbones

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Much thanks to all of you good people. I finally got UnBricked!

I had installed VC through the LG updater. Installed Thunderom 1.7.0. Life was good. Then I turned the phone off, and BAM. LG brick. My situation was compounded by the fact that even with my wife to help press buttons, I could NOT get the Emergency Mode screen to turn on. It just sat there with a blank screen. With the hard buttons at the bottom lighting up though, I figured What the hell... Using the VC wad wouldn't work for me. After getting to 99% it would error out and no boot. I tried the V9 and it errored out again at 99% only this time, my phone went into the 'Battery Required' Screen. I put the battery in and it went to the charging screen. Figuring What the hell, I tried to boot into recovery. Success! Flashed to Stock Rom and recovery just to be safe and upgraded to V9. So far so good. I've reboot and Shutdown completely with no ill effects.

The big thing for me was that even though the 'E-mode' screen wasn't on, I was still able to get the k500 to see the 'E-mode' function.

Cheers!

Ah-ha! LOWWANG! The EXACT same thing was happening with mine, but I never thought to boot to recovery at the battery charging screen instead of just turning it on! I can't wait to try this out tomorrow, I'd almost given up hope! If this works, I'm going to be one very relieved idiot.

Cheers indeed!

tilltheend

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
First I want to thank all the people working on making this phone better than sprint ever will.

Second, I wanted to confirm what lowwang posted. Exact same thing happened to my brothers phone. Followed the directions except I did what lowwang posted. In recovery I wiped data and caches and went straight to Thunderom 1.6.2. Everything seems to be working fine again.

harabai

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
zefie thanks for this post, saved my ass.. i dont' get the fugn downloading screen but the lg logo screen now, so one step closer!

gutclusters

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
A few notes...

I got a brick here too. Experiencing the same black screen issues as others are reporting. Don't see nor can I get into a visible E-Mode, just a blank screen and the bottom buttoms illuminated.

I've recovered this phone twice while messing with it. Here's a few of my observations:

1. Remove the SD card!

2. If the LG updater tool keeps throwing up on you at 4%, try removing the battery, disconnecting the USB, then reconnect the USB and press retry at the same time. (do not power up the phone) If the updater gets past 4% after doing this, then reinsert the battery. It successfully started uploading the firmware for me afterwards

3. If pushing the ZVC firmware still results in a brick, downgrade back to ZV9. This unbricked for me. However, I removed thunderc and restored the stock recovery ROM, then tried to upgrade to ZVC. Bricked again!

If anyone's got links for how to thoroughly remove ThundeROM and Thunderc and upgrade to ZVC, i'dappreciate it!

AvantGuard

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
I got a brick here too. Experiencing the same black screen issues as others are reporting. Don't see nor can I get into a visible E-Mode, just a blank screen and the bottom buttoms illuminated.

I've recovered this phone twice while messing with it. Here's a few of my observations:

1. Remove the SD card!

2. If the LG updater tool keeps throwing up on you at 4%, try removing the battery, disconnecting the USB, then reconnect the USB and press retry at the same time. (do not power up the phone) If the updater gets past 4% after doing this, then reinsert the battery. It successfully started uploading the firmware for me afterwards

3. If pushing the ZVC firmware still results in a brick, downgrade back to ZV9. This unbricked for me. However, I removed thunderc and restored the stock recovery ROM, then tried to upgrade to ZVC. Bricked again!

If anyone's got links for how to thoroughly remove ThundeROM and Thunderc and upgrade to ZVC, i'dappreciate it!
Can you clarify Note #3?

I'm starting without the battery in; is that why it's puking on me at 4%? I've tried pushing V9 and VC and they both stop at 4%. Do you remember how you plugged it back in? Were you in e-mode or just normal? With or without the battery?

I feel like I'm SO CLOSE to unbricking this beast. Thanks for your help.

gutclusters

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Can you clarify Note #3?

I'm starting without the battery in; is that why it's puking on me at 4%? I've tried pushing V9 and VC and they both stop at 4%. Do you remember how you plugged it back in? Were you in e-mode or just normal? With or without the battery?

I feel like I'm SO CLOSE to unbricking this beast. Thanks for your help.

Basically, when it failed at 4% for me, I disconnected the USB and battery, then reconnected the USB right when I clicked the retry button.It seems that when both the nandroid ROM and recovery ROM are broken, the phone automatically goes into e-mode.

It kind of reminds me of unbricking a Linksys WRT54G after a bad frimware upgrade. When you first plug the router in, it starts a TFTP server for a few seconds on bootup and, if you can catch it during that time, it will accept firmware and reboot. Same with this. Plug it in and try to catch it with the retry before it starts dropping and bringing back up the USB. For me, no crazy vulcan neck pinch button pressing was necessary, just plugged in USB and pressed retry. If it fails, just try it again.

The upgrade from ZV9 to ZVC is what caused my brick. Pushing back to ZV9 worked for me. The CAB i used came from http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/swdata/WEBSW/LGLS670/ASPRCQ/LS670ZV9_20/LS670ZV9_20.S9_20.P60671.cab. Use Beezy's steps, just use my filename and answer LS670ZV9 instead of LS670ZVC for step 9.

Let me know if that helps.

AvantGuard

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to try this later if I can get the steps right and in order. I'd just bring it back to Sprint and start over new, but my car is busted. Yeah, it's been that kind of week. Any tips on the best method to get V9 loaded? Just follow Beezy's steps with the new alteration and new .cab?

sonicbluemustang

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I am convinced its the VC update!!!! If you revert to V9 the problems are over. But let me say this I think it is the update that is pushed by the update tool and not the OTA.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital