View Poll Results: Do you want to see a 1-click root method for LS670ZVC?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I want one!

126 90.00%
  • No, it's pointless...

5 3.57%
  • Undecided

9 6.43%
02-22-2011 06:29 AM
46 12
tools
    UPDATE: Instead of a simple 1-click root solution, I've decided to take up something much, much bigger and better.

Drumroll please...

LG Optimus S Control Center!!!

RELEASED!!!
    debh945, Tacoma, CarrieK and 19 others like this.
    02-13-2011 10:35 AM
    To me it is pointless, the instructions at the vc update root link in your tagline worked for me. One loses the educational aspect with a one-click method (something I really need). Thanks to you and the others.
    02-13-2011 10:49 AM
    To me it is pointless, the instructions at the vc update root link in your tagline worked for me. One loses the educational aspect with a one-click method (something I really need). Thanks to you and the others.
    Thanks for the input! I do agree that one does lose the educational aspect but honestly, I think there are also quite a few people new to the process that don't give a rat's you-know-what about the educational aspect.
    02-13-2011 11:02 AM
    I think a one click method would be helpful for those of us who want to take advantage of all Android has to offer but not as much time as one would like to devote to it. What I've done so far I've had to do in increments. I'm rooted, created a custom recovery and use TR right now and have a pretty good understanding of everything I did to get there so if there isn't a one click method I'll eventually do it.
    beezy and jmzsctt like this.
    02-13-2011 11:31 AM
    IMO I think it would help a lot of people who just want to root and don't want to learn about adb, and the command line freaks them out. However, those same people will inevitably run into issues with a one-click root app and you will be answering a million tech support questions.

Just go over to the thread on XDA for "SuperOneClick Root". It's 255 pages long and people all have similar errors that if they just read the thread they would be able to figure it out!

LOL, so if you are a glutton for punishment - I say go ahead! Kudos to you for the offer, very generous of you. (BTW has anyone tried that XDA app to see if it works for the Optimus?)
    beezy likes this.
    02-13-2011 11:32 AM
    You should go for it. One click root is best for 80% of the people and it will reduce their chances of making errors.

z4 was quite nice and got the job done. They just need to find a new exploit that will work with the standard VC kernel/OS.
    CarrieK likes this.
    02-13-2011 12:51 PM
    I do agree that sometimes people jump in without any kind of understanding of what they are doing and why. I spent days reading and have a background in programming so I know the importance of researching and knowing what you're getting into before doing anything. I'm sure it's frustrating answering questions that have already been answered simply because they didn't follow directions or read carefully. I have a feeling, though, you're going to get that no matter what level of users you are working with. I do apprwciate all of the time you guys spend working these things out.
    02-13-2011 01:02 PM
    UPDATE: Instead of a simple 1-click root solution, I've decided to take up something much, much bigger and better.

Drumroll please...

LG Optimus S Control Center!!!

Development UI screenshot below. This project is in development, with an ALPHA release imminent!

Considering the hurdles needed to jump in order for some people to re-root with the latest software update from LG/Sprint, I am creating a 1-click root method. I would love to get votes and opinions from the community.

Please vote and discuss!
    Looks very interesting!! It will be a real asset to the community when finished!
    02-13-2011 05:49 PM
    I can go both ways. I don't mind handing a terminal and using commands in it to get things done, but at the same time, a one click root is a big timesaver at times (in fact when I did the root/recovery/ROM to get ThundeROM I did my rooting with z4root while I dl'd all the files needed for getting the recovery set up). Also makes it easier if someone just wants temp root since (I'd assume) that your one-click root would be unrootable in one click as well.
    CarrieK and sabauman like this.
    02-13-2011 06:55 PM
    Go for it
    02-13-2011 06:56 PM
    Thanks for all the input! So I did something really dumb earlier and somehow managed to erase the entire project folder in Visual Studio. Oops.

It will be a little while longer for release, but that just means more time to make this as good as possible.
    02-13-2011 08:19 PM
    OUCH!

One clicks are good and bad, the good is BAM! Its done. The bad is when a user needs to use adb they are lost. Using adb to root gets the feet wet and is helpful down the road no doubt. I would use one in the form of a app, like z4. But to download and install a program on the PC, I could adb faster
    02-13-2011 09:35 PM
    cant wait, thumbs up
    02-13-2011 11:58 PM
    i totally didnt even think of creating a application/batch to do the adb dirty work.

Thats awesome.. yet bad at the same time. The more a user hacks their phone without knowing what or why, the more likely they are to break things. I like making the user learn how and what they are doing.
    captmeach7 likes this.
    02-14-2011 12:31 AM
    I'm not so sure it's a great idea. I mean you are going to have people downloading this and using it who stumble upon the threads and have no idea what they're doing. There are double posts and questions that have been addressed 10 times over but people don't read before they download and flash something. I was always opposed to methods like z4root for this same reason.
    02-14-2011 01:14 AM
    IMO it is great to teach people the basics but I often see people doing the most damage as they are learning. You aren't going to be able to get everyone to go through the basics. For those people that are going to forge ahead anyway, they are better off with a one-click solution.
    02-14-2011 01:17 AM
    i totally didnt even think of creating a application/batch to do the adb dirty work.

Thats awesome.. yet bad at the same time. The more a user hacks their phone without knowing what or why, the more likely they are to break things. I like making the user learn how and what they are doing.
    I will agree partly. I agree that users who just simply dive in without any real knowledge of what they're doing are more likely to break things. However, sfhub makes a great inverse point:

IMO it is great to teach people the basics but I often see people doing the most damage as they are learning. You aren't going to be able to get everyone to go through the basics. For those people that are going to forge ahead anyway, they are better off with a one-click solution.
    If we have an application that handles all of the ADB dirty work, users are IMO less likely to break things due to the fact that they are no longer hacking around not knowing what they're doing.
    02-14-2011 01:48 AM
    DOUBLE POST APOLOGIES!!!

On a slightly different note, LG Optimus S Control Center reboot (reboot cause I killed the project folder in Visual Studio *facepalm*) has gained a new ability: Switching recovery kernels on-the-fly! Works pretty darn well, too.
    02-14-2011 01:50 AM
    I can go both ways. I don't mind handing a terminal and using commands in it to get things done, but at the same time, a one click root is a big timesaver at times (in fact when I did the root/recovery/ROM to get ThundeROM I did my rooting with z4root while I dl'd all the files needed for getting the recovery set up). Also makes it easier if someone just wants temp root since (I'd assume) that your one-click root would be unrootable in one click as well.
    You said what I wanted to say but better
    02-14-2011 05:08 AM
    IMO I think it would help a lot of people who just want to root and don't want to learn about adb, and the command line freaks them out. However, those same people will inevitably run into issues with a one-click root app and you will be answering a million tech support questions.

Just go over to the thread on XDA for "SuperOneClick Root". It's 255 pages long and people all have similar errors that if they just read the thread they would be able to figure it out!

LOL, so if you are a glutton for punishment - I say go ahead! Kudos to you for the offer, very generous of you. (BTW has anyone tried that XDA app to see if it works for the Optimus?)
    You seem to be forgetting something really important.

SuperOneClick Root is designed to work with many devices. So naturally, you're going to have a TON of people with a TON of questions that may or may not be that easy to answer.

This Control Center is designed to work with only one device. Any questions/issues/etc that arise will be that much easier to answer/fix/etc in my opinion.
    02-14-2011 10:02 AM
    Wow, this is fantastic. The main reason I was holding off on flashing to the VC radio was because I really didn't want to deal with the hassle of doing all the adb commands in order to switch back to stock recovery. I've already done them all to get the custom recovery on in the first place... any time-saver from there on out is much appreciated
    02-14-2011 10:24 AM
    I am very closely watching this awesome awesome project. The screen shots are very encouraging. I have my fingers crossed this comes to fruition and i can guarantee the blog writers are watching as well (read - News story)
    02-14-2011 10:49 AM
    I am very closely watching this awesome awesome project. The screen shots are very encouraging. I have my fingers crossed this comes to fruition and i can guarantee the blog writers are watching as well (read - News story)
    Check your PM box for a thoughtful gift
    02-14-2011 11:22 AM
    Looking good so far, will be nice when you get it all polished off and compiled!
    I will be ready to be your distribution source if need be when the time comes.
    02-14-2011 12:20 PM
    This sounds awesome. Many people would be thankful for this, can't wait for it
    02-14-2011 12:53 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD