May have a lead on VC LG Logo Brick, But Need Data

DCJoe

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I wasn't clear enough on my question, but are you using flash_image when you reboot into the Community build or while you're still in the recovery.

Guess it won't matter too much if things don't work right with the VC radio and the V8 image just while I flash recovery.

I did it while I was still in recovery. Looking back I could have done it from the operating system because the community build is rooted.

zman519

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Do we have an agreed way to fix this? I see a lot of ways/ideas but whats the best?

Posting links or quoting text would help a lot. I'm just a little lost I'm would like the phone to be running on VC rooted & maybe a custom recovery (custom recovery should be-able to be done at a later time if need..... right? )

i hope i don't sound like a dumb noob but i just don't want to brick the phone. as i thought i did before.

Phone has Stock recovery used this VC upgrade and ReRoot

Phone came stock with V9 was rooted with z4root

Last edited:

xtacocorex

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Do we have an agreed way to fix this? I see a lot of ways/ideas but whats the best?

Posting links or quoting text would help a lot. I'm just a little lost I'm would like the phone to be running on VC rooted & maybe a custom recovery (custom recovery should be-able to be done at a later time if need..... right? )

i hope i don't sound like a dumb noob but i just don't want to brick the phone. as i thought i did before.

I ran through DC Joe's method, but skipped the step where you do the ##786# wipe as I don't have my MSL and I didn't bother to call Sprint at 2200 last night. Skipping that step, I still have reboot issues; my plan is to call and get the MSL's for the two phones and run through from the ##786# wipe point on.

DCJoe

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I ran through DC Joe's method, but skipped the step where you do the ##786# wipe as I don't have my MSL and I didn't bother to call Sprint at 2200 last night. Skipping that step, I still have reboot issues; my plan is to call and get the MSL's for the two phones and run through from the ##786# wipe point on.

Good luck. Last night I left my phone plugged in and it charged all the way up to 100% and didn't brick; this is a good sign, I think, because before when I had bricking problems it always occurred when charging overnight. It would brick somewhere around 75% charging.

I don't really know what about my "procedure" is effective (assuming it is effective for the long-term). I just wanted to try a few different things from what I had done before to see if it would work.

xtacocorex

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Good luck. Last night I left my phone plugged in and it charged all the way up to 100% and didn't brick; this is a good sign, I think, because before when I had bricking problems it always occurred when charging overnight. It would brick somewhere around 75% charging.

I don't really know what about my "procedure" is effective (assuming it is effective for the long-term). I just wanted to try a few different things from what I had done before to see if it would work.

Did the wipe this morning and still fails on power cycles when not connected to the computer, will have to run the force flash later as I'm expecting phone calls today (really soon actually). My phone was always around 100% battery when it locks up.

I think this will work, just have to get the time to run it in full when it's late enough in the day that no one will require talking to me.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Usually the cause of that is something in your NVRAM got messed up. If you want to test that theory, restore the stock recovery image and do a ##786# factory reset. Make sure you restore the stock recovery image first or you might run into the bug that bricks your phone when you reset from within Andriod. In addition to wiping data/cache, ##786 tries to restore your NVRAM items. I'm sure there are other things that can cause it also, so I'm just giving you an option to look at.
Yeah, that resolved the issue.

I didn't go through the full "return to stock" procedure, but I did use KP500 to revert an OTA VC updated unit back to V9, then restored the V9 recovery partition, then applied the VC update using the LG Software Updater Tool and after all that, HFA works fine as does Update Profile and Update PRL.

I did the same procedure...my NVRAM got jacked up again, so after the KP500 flash to ZVC I ended up doing a ##786# reset, and now all is well and my phone is very stable. I think that successfully flashing the OTA VC update got my other partitions updated to the correct stuff and fixed my LG logo bricks. Previously I had used LG Software Updater to straight from V9 to VC.

I'm wondering if the reason folks are having these issues is because they are disconnecting their phone before LG Software Updater is complete.

During the process of using KP500, KDZ, or LG Software Updater, after the flash portion is complete, the phone will get rebooted and get to the standard android startup screen. This will happen before the tool says completed. The tool will be at 99% or 100% depending on where it is at. Between 99% and "Completed" it is actually writing your NVRAM items that were saved off earlier in the process before the firmware flash. However because the phone rebooted into android and the LG Software Updater status said 99% or 100%, I'm wondering if people thought the process was done and disconnected their phone before the NVRAM items could be completely written.

The tell-tale sign of this is if you do a ##786# reset and that resolves the problem. ##786# differs from a standard factory reset, in that it tries to reset your NVRAM items in addition to wipe data/cache (that is why you lose your provisioning after ##786# and need to let Hands Free Activation do its thing)

xtacocorex

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
The tell-tale sign of this is if you do a ##786# reset and that resolves the problem. ##786# differs from a standard factory reset, in that it tries to reset your NVRAM items in addition to wipe data/cache (that is why you lose your provisioning after ##786# and need to let Hands Free Activation do its thing)

Ah ha! I'm not disconnecting it and letting it run it's course, but after doing the ##786# wipe and reboot, I cancelled out of the Hands Free Activation thing (thought it was annoying). I also cancelled out of it last night after the force flash of VC.

That could be where my issue is now.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So I'm assuming HFA wasn't working for you and that is why you canceled out of it?

Otherwise HFA should complete in 2-5 seconds (for each step) and is actually provisioning (or re-provisioning) your phone with information like your phone #, PRL, and Data Profile (authentication information for 3g data)

So assuming HFA isn't working for you, then probably something is not right with your NVRAM items. It may not have gotten into a bad state through the path I suggested, but something in the steps you followed probably did get you there.

Or perhaps I'm reading what you are saying the wrong way.

Last edited:

O.a.T.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site

Unfortunately, not yet, although DCJoe's method shows some hope. Will probably give that a try as I've nearly exhausted all my early leads without good results.

zman519

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, not yet, although DCJoe's method shows some hope. Will probably give that a try as I've nearly exhausted all my early leads without good results.

I wish LG had something like samsung does so you could just boot the phone into "download mode" and flash a .tar

I'm trying to fix this LG for my GF as i'am the one who upgraded it and now its FUBARed:-\ I told her NOT to get a SGS cuz samsung support sucks (GPS bugs... no froyo etc...)

Ok back on toppic

Is there any way to get the MSL on VC? i hate calling sprint.

I have tried

adb shell getprop
That works on a lot of phones

tried the logcat from adb and opening the ##3282#

alogcat on the phone

debh945

May 15, 2010
www.scrappincop.com
So you entered "adb logcat d" then dialed ##3282# and its in your log output?

I feel like we've jacked this thread, sorry OP! I just typed adb logcat (no d) at the command prompt, dialed ##3282# on my phone's dialer, watched the magic on my computer screen.

Alogcat on phone method:

Start Alogcat
Menu>pause
Menu>clear
Menu>Filter>(I type in LG, then press Okay)
go to phone dialer and dial ##3282#
Long press Home and select Alogcat app
Menu>pause

Look for the string with a 6 digit number, followed by -END. The (LG) filter makes it easier so you don't have to scroll through a bunch of stuff to find the string you are looking for. You will want to clear your filter after you get your MSL for further debugging purposes.

majorlag

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I spent all day yesterday investigation the "LG logo brick" that appears in some cases after flashing the LG Mobile Update version of VC and then rooting and installing custom recovery. I bumped into some interesting cases, but don't know if they are coincidence or otherwise. So I need your help in getting some data if you've successfully installed the latest version of the VC software through the LG Mobile Update tool and successfully rooted and installed a custom recovery. To make collecting the data a little easier please copy and paste the following into your response. Thanks in advance for all who respond.

1. After rooting VC, which Custom Recovery did you install? E.g. Dresilldee or Xionia.

None

2. Have you experienced the "LG Logo Brick", where your phone gets stuck in an apparent boot loop at the LG logo?

No, it just stuck at the LG logo and stays there

3. Have you completely powered your phone off, and then powered it up?

Yes

4. What ROM are you running? E.g. VCROM V007, NROM 1.5.1, stock.

stock

5. If you were bricked with the "LG Logo Brick", have you been able to successfully un-brick using the "Un-Brick Method for Some Forms of Bricks'?

No, didn't noticed that link until today, will try next time it happens.

6. Finally, please provide any additional details that you think are relevant to this discussion.

My phone came with V9 everything stock and only did VZ update by LG tool. Probably due to LG tool and nothing with root/custom recovery?

O.a.T.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Got tired of not being able to power down my phone and getting the LG Logo Boot Loop/Brick upon powering up. So for now, I've just decided to go back to V9 via the "V9 Force Flash using KP500" found at

http://forum.androidcentral.com/601470-post239.html

Then as indicated in that posting, just used Z4Root to root and I was back in business with dresildee's custom recovery that I had previously installed, along with my own custom ROM. Guess I'll have to decide whether I want to give the VC update a go again or not.

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
O.a.T, I'm curious what method did you use to put VC on your phone.

1) LG Software Updater
2) VC cab using the "unbrick" thread (ie emergency mode)
3) VC cab using the reference section in my signature (ie diag mode)

O.a.T.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
O.a.T, I'm curious what method did you use to put VC on your phone.

1) LG Software Updater
2) VC cab using the "unbrick" thread (ie emergency mode)
3) VC cab using the reference section in my signature (ie diag mode)

Fixed link in my posting. It was "diag mode".

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Ran into this issue last night trying to update from V9 with nROM 1.5.1 to VC. I followed all the stickies to the letter:

1) Reverted to stock and unrooted phone.
2) flashed the V9 update.zip via LG recovery
3) updated to VC via LG Update Utility on the PC
4) rooted via the VC root guide
5) installed CWM recovery via the guide
6) got stuck at LG Logo screen

Ugh.

Finally was able to flash V9 back via the "Emergency Mode" sticky thread (following the directions in there and trying to flash VC WOULD complete fine, but phone would still be stuck at LG Logo after a reboot... with no means to get into recovery at all). Once I got V9 back on there, it booted fine and I was able to just restore the nandroid backup of nROM 1.5.1 without issue. Oddly enough, like many others mentioned, I never saw a screen that said "Emergency Mode". Just got the physical keys to light up, and a notification from Windows that a new USB device was plugged in (that Windows notice was how I knew whether or not it was actually in emergency mode at all).

Might give it a go again in the future if a reason for this stuck LG Logo is found :(