[Solved] Saving my Bricked Phone w/cab Files

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
OK, took a stock V9 set up, stock V9 recovery, stock V9 baseband. I force flashed VC cab on it, it booted then when I rebooted I had no recovery. I am also not able to force flash any cab files as it cant go past 4%, like the first phone I bricked. Luckily I did this to the phone I am sending back, got my replacement today :) Any ideas before I send it back? I tried all 3 methods, no luck :(

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You mean it doesn't boot into recovery and it doesn't boot into android or just the former? I think you are saying it doesn't boot into either but wasn't sure the way it was worded.

It seems what people have tried is to remove/replace battery and boot several times, mixing in some Power + Vol- + Home and Power + Vol+ + Home in between. Sometimes it just comes back eventually.

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
You mean it doesn't boot into recovery and it doesn't boot into android or just the former? I think you are saying it doesn't boot into either but wasn't sure the way it was worded.

It seems what people have tried is to remove/replace battery and boot several times, mixing in some Power + Vol- + Home and Power + Vol+ + Home in between. Sometimes it just comes back eventually.

It doesnt boot to android or recovery. When it goes to emergency mode the red writing doesnt even show up! Total stock V9, working great until I force flashed VC cab over it. The VC booted as the flashing tool boots it for you. Once I powered down is when I get nothing!

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
WTF!!! Power PLUS Home PLUS Volume UP and recovery popped up, I did a wipe and phone booted! Gonna pwer down and reboot, here goes! BAM! All good, weird stuff!

O.a.T.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
It doesnt boot to android or recovery. When it goes to emergency mode the red writing doesnt even show up! Total stock V9, working great until I force flashed VC cab over it. The VC booted as the flashing tool boots it for you. Once I powered down is when I get nothing!

Nothing? Not even LG icon?

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Three Finger Salute

WTF!!! Power PLUS Home PLUS Volume UP and recovery popped up, I did a wipe and phone booted! Gonna pwer down and reboot, here goes! BAM! All good, weird stuff!

This is the wonderful three finger salute our Optimus S needs some time. I am not sure that the CM7 framework has this built in, I believe that is where it resides.

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
What it was the cab I used was VC and I still had V9 radio. I restored V9 cab and now it is perfect. Well besides the fact that it looks like LG pulled the VC update :( I did the stock restore to V8, applyed the update.zip and now am at the LG Updater tool, it says I am up to date with software V9...

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
What it was the cab I used was VC and I still had V9 radio. I restored V9 cab and now it is perfect. Well besides the fact that it looks like LG pulled the VC update :( I did the stock restore to V8, applyed the update.zip and now am at the LG Updater tool, it says I am up to date with software V9...
Something might have gotten messed up in your NVRAM and it still thinks you are on VC.

Try force flashing VC. Instructions are in the reference section of my signature. Incidentally, in the log file, it'll tell you what version the updater thinks your phone is, so you'll be able to confirm if that was the problem.

BTW how did you flash a VC cab and still have a V9 radio? Shouldn't the VC cab be flashing the VC radio and OS?

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Something might have gotten messed up in your NVRAM and it still thinks you are on VC.

Try force flashing VC. Instructions are in the reference section of my signature. Incidentally, in the log file, it'll tell you what version the updater thinks your phone is, so you'll be able to confirm if that was the problem.

BTW how did you flash a VC cab and still have a V9 radio? Shouldn't the VC cab be flashing the VC radio and OS?

I force flash VC right over V9 stock. I got it to boot a time or two, the data would not work though. The I force flashed V9 and all is good. I did the whole revert to stock thread after that because I wanted to get VC and root. I will take a look, but the tool says I have latest and it says V9 in/on the tool.

thanks

edit... I didnt enter it as LS670ZVC_11 I just put LS670ZVC you think that was my issue?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I force flash VC right over V9 stock. I got it to boot a time or two, the data would not work though. The I force flashed V9 and all is good. I did the whole revert to stock thread after that because I wanted to get VC and root. I will take a look, but the tool says I have latest and it says V9 in/on the tool.

thanks

edit... I didnt enter it as LS670ZVC_11 I just put LS670ZVC you think that was my issue?
It shouldn't matter VC_11 or VC.

Are you saying the KP500 force flash is saying you are up to date or are you saying LG Software Updater is reading the info from your phone, checking the net, then determining you are up to date.

If your data doesn't work then I would suggest you do a ##786# reset from the dialer (making sure you have stock recovery), then let hands free activation do its thing (provision MDN, MSID, update PRL, update Profile)

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
It shouldn't matter VC_11 or VC.

Are you saying the KP500 force flash is saying you are up to date or are you saying LG Software Updater is reading the info from your phone, checking the net, then determining you are up to date.

If your data doesn't work then I would suggest you do a ##786# reset from the dialer (making sure you have stock recovery), then let hands free activation do its thing (provision MDN, MSID, update PRL, update Profile)

OK, when I used KP500 to VC over V9 I had no data, and recovery (begining of thread). I finally got it into recovery wiped and booted but no data, so I V9 cab. Now everything works, but the LG Software Updater is telling me I am up to date with V9. I even double checked and flashed V9 recovery (stock) again. IDK what the deal is, maybe they pulled the update from the web/tool? I tried reinstalling drivers too.

The Cell phone is the latest version already. So you don't need to update.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't think there is any way LG would just pull an update. I can confirm this because I had to KP500 V9 just a little bit earlier today. Loaded LG tool and it told me to update, which worked just fine.

I second the NVRAM being messed up somehow.

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't think there is any way LG would just pull an update. I can confirm this because I had to KP500 V9 just a little bit earlier today. Loaded LG tool and it told me to update, which worked just fine.

I second the NVRAM being messed up somehow.

So I V9 cab again? Or can I just VC cab then root by attacking recovery kernel?

I am doing V9 cab again...

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Do the V9 cab. Make sure you have stock recovery. Go into android dialer. Press ##786# and choose reset. It'll ask you for your MSL.

After that, let it reboot and it'll perform hands free activation (which includes getting the latest PRL and updating your data profile)

When that is all done, try the LG Software Updater again. If it still says you have latest version, then use KP500 to force flash VC.

If data doesn't work, do the ##786# reset again.

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Do the V9 cab. Make sure you have stock recovery. Go into android dialer. Press ##786# and choose reset. It'll ask you for your MSL.

After that, let it reboot and it'll perform hands free activation (which includes getting the latest PRL and updating your data profile)

When that is all done, try the LG Software Updater again. If it still says you have latest version, then use KP500 to force flash VC.

OK, trying that now.

If I have to do the VC cab is that rootable without going back to V9 and all that?

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site

Did V9 cab again, then made sure I had V9 recovery. Did ##786# and enter msl, phone reset. I enter info and then tried LG Software Updater again, says cell phone up to date with the V9! GRRRRR!! Is a VC cab rootable by attacking recovery kernel?

Thanks

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
This is really lame! OK so V9 was fine, I VC cab over it now I am bricked again, back to the first post of this thread. This time its worse though, before every 20 tries or so would get me to recovery. Now I have tried for over 30 minutes, nothing, no recovery! It wont do a KP500 either :(

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The confusing thing for me is KP500 with the VC cab is doing the same thing as allowing LG Software Updater to do the VC update. The main difference is with KP500, you've already downloaded the cab file which you then tell the LG Software Updater to use for the update, whereas when starting the process with the LG Software Updater, it reads your phone and checks the net to figure out which cab file to download. The mechanism for unpacking and writing the cab file to the phone is the same.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
This is really lame! OK so V9 was fine, I VC cab over it now I am bricked again, back to the first post of this thread. This time its worse though, before every 20 tries or so would get me to recovery. Now I have tried for over 30 minutes, nothing, no recovery! It wont do a KP500 either :(
I think it would be really useful to figure out how these phones get into this state. People have done what you have done and haven't gotten into this state so there has to be something else involved besides or in addition to the updating to VC. However a couple of people have gotten into this state and it seems the way they got there is different.

Wish there was some failsafe debug console log to see what it is doing behind the LG logo.

If you ever get your phone to boot again could you try:

1) force flash V9
2) ##786# reset, let it boot, HFA (provision MDN, MSID, PRL, Data Profile)
3) run the OTA VC update.zip
4) ##786# reset, let it boot, HFA (provision MDN, MSID, PRL, Data Profile)
5) force flash V9
6) root and reflash stock V9 recovery.img
7) ##786# reset, let it boot, HFA (provision MDN, MSID, PRL, Data Profile)
8) try LG Software Updater to update to VC, if that doesn't work KP500 to force flash VC
9) ##786# reset, let it boot, HFA (provision MDN, MSID, PRL, Data Profile)

I'm trying to see if running the OTA VC update.zip will clear up whatever problem is causing you to
1) not be able to use the LG Software Updater to update to VC
2) get stuck at LG logo after updates to VC

I'm suggesting being extra judicious with the ##786# resets to make sure things get reset to a factory state as much as possible after each step.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance