05-21-2011 01:02 PM
262 1234 ...
tools
    The Control Center does not support the OTA VC update. Currently the only way to root with the VC update is by updating with the LG Update tool.
    02-22-2011 03:54 PM
    Do not install the OTA VC update.

Instead use the LG Software Updater tool to install VC.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-o...-ls670zvc.html
    i cant install anyway cause i have a custom recovery...im about to see if u can do it through the lg software updater tool..do i still need to remove my custom recovery?
    02-22-2011 03:56 PM
    Ok, I think I've got it.

To clarify, I should:

Use the LG Software Update tool to move from V9 to VC.
    After that, use AAT to reroot and prepare for custom rom installation.

Yes? Maybe?
    02-22-2011 04:09 PM
    This app is amazing as hell. I stayed up last night before this came out and could not root. I then rooted and installed custom recovery in less than five minuted. Amazing, and great work.
    02-22-2011 04:23 PM
    i cant install anyway cause i have a custom recovery...im about to see if u can do it through the lg software updater tool..do i still need to remove my custom recovery?
    You should be able to do it that way. I personally restored the stock V9 recovery first, but LG Software Updater doesn't touch the recovery and from what I can tell it flashes the radio directly without using the Recovery partition.

So it should work, but if you want to be absolutely safe, restore the V9 recovery partition first.
    02-22-2011 04:27 PM
    Ok, I think I've got it.

To clarify, I should:

Use the LG Software Update tool to move from V9 to VC.
    After that, use AAT to reroot and prepare for custom rom installation.

Yes? Maybe?
    Yes.
    02-22-2011 04:28 PM
    Version 1.1.001 released!!!

The Android SDK Tools are now built-in, so you don't even have to have the Android SDK before using the Control Center!
    02-22-2011 06:22 PM
    No really, make it a little easier why don't you! Can this app do my laundry while it roots the phone? Looking at the change log i'd expect this feature in about 45 minutes
    02-22-2011 06:51 PM
    Can you start on the kitchen for one click custom ROMs please.
    02-22-2011 06:56 PM
    Wow, Did I just see the option to unroot my V9 phone and put LG recovery back on?

Does it work?

$5.00 coming your way!
    02-22-2011 07:00 PM
    Wow, Did I just see the option to unroot my V9 phone and put LG recovery back on?

Does it work?

Short Answer: Yes
    Long Answer: Installing the LG recovery needs to happen PRIOR to unrooting, but yes.
    mike9670 likes this.
    02-22-2011 07:05 PM
    Awesome! Gonna give it a go this week when i have some time
    02-22-2011 07:28 PM
    I totally just realized I misread your post.

Edited short answer: No
    Edited long answer: The Control Center was designed for VC devices only. One of the (intended) side-effects of AAT is that Unrooting and recovery kernel flashing will only work on VC devices that have been previously rooted by the Control Center. Read the Android Automation Technology section in the original post to learn why this is. (HINT: shell scripts)

If you'd like a V9 recovery image and the proper unrooting steps, let me know and I'll upload the image and give you the steps to unroot and update to VC.
    02-22-2011 07:48 PM
    Hey Drew, sorry for the semi off-topic.

I think we figured out why some LS670 units aren't able to get the VC update using the LG Software Updater tool anymore. It has to do with refurbished units coming with new MEIDs which likely aren't registered in LGs MEID database. The LG Software Updater tool likely interprets a failure for the software check (which is based on MEID) as no updates available and tells the user they are up to date.

See this thread for more details.
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-o...tml#post637034

I put a warning in the revert instructions.
    02-22-2011 07:55 PM
    No really, make it a little easier why don't you! Can this app do my laundry while it roots the phone? Looking at the change log i'd expect this feature in about 45 minutes
    What, with LaundryMachine Automation Technology? I don't know about that one, but flashing kernels should be operational in a few hours.

Can you start on the kitchen for one click custom ROMs please.
    I'm afraid I am not quite understanding this request. Are you:
    A) Asking for an application that spits out custom ROMs?
    B) Asking for the Control Center to be able to flash custom ROMs?

Answer to A: Thinking about it, but that would entail learning more about how ROMs are actually built. Not exactly on my priority list.
    Answer to B: Definitely on the roadmap, but need to get kernel flashing to work first. A ROM flashing process that doesn't involve the regular recovery "install/apply zip file" process is presumably quite a feat. I'll figure it out though.

Hey Drew, sorry for the semi off-topic.

I think we figured out why some LS670 units aren't able to get the VC update using the LG Software Updater tool anymore. It has to do with refurbished units coming with new MEIDs which likely aren't registered in LGs MEID database. The LG Software Updater tool likely interprets a failure for the software check (which is based on MEID) as no updates available and tells the user they are up to date.

See this thread for more details.
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-o...tml#post637034

I put a warning in the revert instructions.
    Oh, Sprint... that's not very nice of them. Not very nice at all. I'll update the rooting guide (and this thread) shortly.

EDIT: Can users force-flash zefie's VC cab as an alternative?
    02-22-2011 07:59 PM
    I totally just realized I misread your post.

Edited short answer: No
    Edited long answer: The Control Center was designed for VC devices only. One of the (intended) side-effects of AAT is that Unrooting and recovery kernel flashing will only work on VC devices that have been previously rooted by the Control Center. Read the Android Automation Technology section in the original post to learn why this is. (HINT: shell scripts)

If you'd like a V9 recovery image and the proper unrooting steps, let me know and I'll upload the image and give you the steps to unroot and update to VC.
    That would be great. I originally did all my root/recovery/rom using terminal emulator on the phone without a PC. I can't seem to find the right way to get the SDK stuff installed properly on my old XP PC.

I have a nandroid backup of V9 with the ThunderC recovery.

Appreciate the help
    02-22-2011 08:01 PM
    That would be great. I originally did all my root/recovery/rom using terminal emulator on the phone without a PC. I can't seem to find the right way to get the SDK stuff installed properly on my old XP PC.

I have a nandroid backup of V9 with the ThunderC recovery.

Appreciate the help
    Do you have at least the LG drivers installed correctly? Meaning, can you enable USB Storage and copy files to/from the device?
    02-22-2011 08:07 PM
    Yes, I can use USB storage mode to copy files. Currently V9 with TR 1.6.2.
    02-22-2011 08:12 PM
    Yes, I can use USB storage mode to copy files. Currently V9 with TR 1.6.2.
    Check your PM box
    mike9670 likes this.
    02-22-2011 08:28 PM
    EDIT: Can users force-flash zefie's VC cab as an alternative?
    I believe they can as folks have done it without issues, but Cordell had some problems which I'm unable to determine at this time whether they are related to something specific to his phone or the process itself. I didn't want to start suggesting doing it that way until a few more people had tried it.
    02-22-2011 08:37 PM
    are there any plans to get this to work with phones that have the OTA update?
    02-22-2011 08:37 PM
    I'm afraid I am not quite understanding this request. Are you:
    A) Asking for an application that spits out custom ROMs?
    B) Asking for the Control Center to be able to flash custom ROMs?

Answer to A: Thinking about it, but that would entail learning more about how ROMs are actually built. Not exactly on my priority list.
    Answer to B: Definitely on the roadmap, but need to get kernel flashing to work first. A ROM flashing process that doesn't involve the regular recovery "install/apply zip file" process is presumably quite a feat. I'll figure it out though.
    Sorry, I was kind of saying this in jest. For WinMo, they have "kitchens" so "chefs" can pump out custom roms via a point-and-click, listbox, etc. interface. Pick your kernel, pick your theme, pick your apps, etc. and it pumps out the equivalent of a single update.zip with what you chose. I was joking that since you are on a roll with automation, you might as well solve all the world's issues.
    02-22-2011 08:39 PM
    are there any plans to get this to work with phones that have the OTA update?
    Short answer: No
    Long answer: In the OTA update, Sprint blocked the ability to root altogether. Until some genius (NOT me) figures out how to root OTA, there's not a whole lot that can be done. If you wish, you can force-revert to V9 and use the LG tool from there. Second link in my signature.
    02-22-2011 08:42 PM
    Sorry, I was kind of saying this in jest. For WinMo, they have "kitchens" so "chefs" can pump out custom roms via a point-and-click, listbox, etc. interface. Pick your kernel, pick your theme, pick your apps, etc. and it pumps out the equivalent of a single update.zip with what you chose. I was joking that since you are on a roll with automation, you might as well solve all the world's issues.
    Fair enough. But my answer to B still stands. Custom ROM flashing is definitely on the roadmap.
    02-22-2011 08:46 PM
    Ok, So I am already rooted, is there is a simple solution to unrooting?

I used LG Mobile Updater Tool. Then rooted via windows command.
    02-22-2011 09:16 PM
262 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD