Newbie, need to install the best custom ROM for LG Optimus S with everything working

MaXXimus

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
@java lmao

@goku, dude there are tutorial posts all over. Check out the stickies to get pointed in the right direction.

Swyped from my LS670 using Tapatalk

cmcollander

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
In all honesty if you cant understand the tutorials or take the time to read all relative posts than you shouldnt even root. It is all very technical and even a single mistake can cause many problems. If youve never done anything like this or know nothing of the unix command line then please review everything possible before attempting this.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Hello,
How do I flash ClockworkMod for the Optimus and what is the best ROM for the Optimus?
Thanks

If you havn't rooted your phone you will have to do that before you can install custom recovery.
Luckily we have one click root with Gingersnap

As for a recovery you will want to use one of the ones ported for the optimus rather than standard clockwordmod, I would recommend Xionia; if nothing else it works with cm7 roms and to my understanding the newer versions let you clear data from within the rom which would normally brick your phone from custom recovery. Any questions you have regarding the installation would be best posted on that thread.

Lastly a Rom, everything works in ShellROM but it's stripped down and doesn't have any extra.
Personally I like RebornROM the voicemail client was left out, but you can either flash it back on or use Google Voice.

Never hesitate to ask questions regardless of how some people may respond most of us are still here to help :D

Edit: No idea why my links aren't working I've checked them three times lol, just search for the terms in blue lol

Last edited:

twigge

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
In all honesty if you cant understand the tutorials or take the time to read all relative posts than you shouldnt even root. It is all very technical and even a single mistake can cause many problems. If youve never done anything like this or know nothing of the unix command line then please review everything possible before attempting this.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

I could not agree more with this post. I rooted my Optimus roughly 6 months ago, but that was only after I spent the better part of two weeks reading and understanding what I was doing. In the time since I have flashed more ROM's than I have fingers (updates and revisions etc...) and have only ever had one problem, which was my own fault. Reading is key, If the language here feels GEEK to you, then perhaps rooting and flashing custom ROM's is not in your best interest.

In order to ensure that you have the smallest chance of bricking your phone (messing it up enough it won't work anymore for those that don't understand geek...) you need to understand completely what you are doing. If after reading and re-reading you still don't understand it at all, come here and ask questions, if after that you don't understand then perhaps you are better off leaving well enough alone.

And while some people here may be jerks, it is a product of answering the same questions over and over. Most here do not mind helping at all, however even the nicest person is going to start getting irritated when it is apparent that the person asking for help has not bothered to do any research at all.

The DragonTJH

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm another guy who didn't speak "geek" fluently before I got my Optimus.
My best advice is to carefully study the relevant posts here over and over, ask questions in the thread it relates to and wait until you get it all to take the necessary steps. If I can figure it out so can you, just take your time and be sure you understand the steps.

Jessicalt1

Lover of all things Andi
May 17, 2010
Visit site
They are written in geek talk... however if you decided to root your phone, you have to have a little geek in you to even know what that means. :) My best advice is to research, research, research... and then do it some more. Also, read the stickies, and the links posted by telemike. They will be most helpful, along with the handy dandy search function.

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I was the same way, I did not know a dam thing about rooting and then installing custom recovery and rom's.
So I spent many weeks reading & RE-reading every post in each section pretaining to the rooting and installing the recovery & Roms. Tell you what it helps to read them all because you get a idea of the mistakes others made so you then know not to do them yourself or what to do if a problem comes up! Then I got all the drivers and files I needed installed on computer first before i even considered try to do this. Then I took it step by step and asked questions at each step, rooting, custom recovery & then finally Custom Rom!
When it was said and done, I feel now that I have a decent understanding of the recovery and rom so I can fix problems if they happen from ME playing around with my phone non-stop.

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: Newbie, need to install the best custom ROM for LG Optimus S

"Reading about it is as fun as doing it is. Take the time. Learn about it." This is so true... half the reason i got into computers, programming, 3d modeling, and now phones was to read and learn as much as it was being able to actualy do a specific task for end result.. there is a wealth of knowledge on this site for anything you can think of. when i started a few months ago i knew nothing about android now i root an install custom roms for all my friends... hell i even learned how to get 100% free incoming/outgoing calls and text to a real unique phone number through WIFI by READING!!! since i rarely leave the house i turned off my old cell service and now only use the free calling through wifi downside is when i do leave it doesnt work unless i can find an unsecure wifi network but hey im saving 54$ a month :).... best part is that it isnt even illegal :) lol!!!

bottom line is if your serious (yes that means actually doing the work reading and testing, and not just posting every question you have and expecting an expert from the forums to lay you out a guide) about learning how too do awesome things with ur android device, then you can!! most if not all the information is allready here in this and a few other forums... as well some awesome people have taken the time to either write a tutorial, or compile information together to make it easier to find... if what you need isnt in black and white and explained in 1 2 3... then use some common sense and read 2 or 3 guides and make your own steps, remember this kind of stuff take time, and failure... trial and error!!! after you've made a real effort and it still doesnt work then you make a post in the forums, thats how you learn and really contribute to the community.... ive been into programming and the like for about 12 years now, and i have to say, ive learned more by making mistakes, or somthing going wrong and me having to figure out how to fix it than i have when things go correctly the first time!! sorry for the long winded post, i hope it helps even one person......

P.S If your having trouble with something and truly cant figure it out your wellcome to private msg on this site or catch me on yahoo msger at ernieballesp06 me i'd be happy to help if i can no guarantees ill have the answer though.....

rod_munch

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Newbie, need to install the best custom ROM for LG Optimus S

ive been running "your mom rom" since november and havn't found a rom totally worthy of upgrade yet. everything runs nice and smooth(well as smooth as the optimus is going to deliver which is a lot more than i used to think possible) and i get at least 30% moar battery compared to stock.

hydro rom is made by the same devs and is newer so that might be a better starting point.

ics is almost ready. i cant live without my camera though.

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
This is a old post, last used in June, why the rebirth?

sent from my CM7/Reborn w/ 1 Gb internal storage Optimus S

Always happy to help, hit that thanks button if I did

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781