Attempting to root VC-error device not found

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I made sure I installed VC correctly through the mobile updater this time. Move the files over to my sd card. I run rageagainstthecage, but then I don't hear it reconnect the second time. I waited 5 min and it didnt connect so I tried adb shell and it said "error device not found". What could be doing this?
What did you mean by "through the mobile updater this time"?

Does that mean you previously installed VC using OTA?

If so, then once you install VC using OTA, you need to restore the V9 recovery partition, prior to running LG Software Updater to get VC. Otherwise, you will get exactly the behavior you describe.

I suggest you go through the revert procedure in my signature.

You can do the advanced method in the reference section to save time.

blurryfingers

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I did try to kill and then start the server, I could never get it to work. I pulled up my devices in Windows 7 to see what was connected. I have the ADB device showing and up into the point after I execute rageagainstthecage. After that only an android lg device appears, and no adb device. It doesn't matter if I kill or restart the server, no adb server will connect to the phone until I restart the phone again. I tried unplugging the phone and plugging it back in, and the android lg device will disappear and then reconnect, but never with any adb device.

I had just received the phone from a seller on ebay. The phone I am assuming was locked, and it was running VC. I flashed back to V9, then updated to VC from the LG update program, but I get stuck at this rageagainstthecage not reconnecting to adb. I tried again, flashing back to V8, then V9, then VC, and still I get the same problem.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I did try to kill and then start the server, I could never get it to work. I pulled up my devices in Windows 7 to see what was connected. I have the ADB device showing and up into the point after I execute rageagainstthecage. After that only an android lg device appears, and no adb device. It doesn't matter if I kill or restart the server, no adb server will connect to the phone until I restart the phone again. I tried unplugging the phone and plugging it back in, and the android lg device will disappear and then reconnect, but never with any adb device.

I had just received the phone from a seller on ebay. The phone I am assuming was locked, and it was running VC. I flashed back to V9, then updated to VC from the LG update program, but I get stuck at this rageagainstthecage not reconnecting to adb. I tried again, flashing back to V8, then V9, then VC, and still I get the same problem.

When you reverted to V9 (or V8), did you remember to flash the stock recovery?

The OTA update flashes a new recovery kernel, which can't be rooted with any known method. When you revert to V9 or V8, the instructions specifically mention flashing the V9 recovery kernel, do they not?

blurryfingers

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
When you reverted to V9 (or V8), did you remember to flash the stock recovery?

The OTA update flashes a new recovery kernel, which can't be rooted with any known method. When you revert to V9 or V8, the instructions specifically mention flashing the V9 recovery kernel, do they not?

No, I guess not. I just installed V9 firmware, then VC, then started the how to root VC instructions.

From what you're saying, it looks like I should install V9, root V9, and follow these instructions: http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...45403-how-unroot-your-phone-return-stock.html, then update to VC from LG updater tool, then start the VC root process. Does that sound right? Somehow in my hours of reading I missed that step.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
No, I guess not. I just installed V9 firmware, then VC, then started the how to root VC instructions.

From what you're saying, it looks like I should install V9, root V9, and follow these instructions: http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...45403-how-unroot-your-phone-return-stock.html, then update to VC from LG updater tool, then start the VC root process. Does that sound right? Somehow in my hours of reading I missed that step.

Yep, that sounds about right.

blurryfingers

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
More problems. I installed the V9 firmware, and then I went to this thread which was the next step: http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...45403-how-unroot-your-phone-return-stock.html . The problem is the first step says to root the phone. I can't get the phone to root. How can I ever install any recovery if I can't root? I go through the root process and I can never get a # symbol.

After I went from VC to V9, I try and follow these instructions: http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/43108-how-root-lg-optimus-s.html . One problem is running the update.zip won't throw an error, instead it actually installs.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Once you have V9, you can just use z4root to one-click root from within android.

Regarding update.zip, are you sure you renamed the *V8->V9* zip file to update.zip?

If you renamed the *V9->VC* zip file to update.zip, then it will install like you experienced.

blurryfingers

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I just used z4root. How can I tell if I am rooted? I went into adb shell and it shows me a $. I can access su, but when I tried to install this command: chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/flash_image , it throws an error message.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Did you select permanent root with z4root?

Before you type "su" in adb shell, turn on your phone, make sure you aren't in the lock screen, type "su" in your adb shell session and look for a prompt asking you for root privileges on your phone.

Which error did you get with the chmod command.

dwh1996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Rooted yesterday. I went back flashed v9 then rooted v9. Then I unrooted and installed VC via the mobile updater. The I could finally root vc. Thanks for the help.