Why would one update to VC at all? I'm currently running Lego ROM with various customizations without any trouble beyond the known crashing of the security system with incorrect password entries.

Why would I want to give up root, etc.? Is Sprint going to lock out pre-VC version or something?

Sorry if this seems like a silly question.

Kevin
    02-23-2011 07:32 PM
    I would also like to know as well
    02-23-2011 07:43 PM
    If you are happy with your configuration, there is no need to update. I personally updated and it seems like with the new radio I do get more bars at my home than with V9.

The issue is going to be compatibility with whatever ROM you want to flash. LegoROM is awesome and is compatible with V9. I flashed ThundeROM 1.7 after updating as it is compatible with VC.

You only "give up root" temporarily after updating to VC, then you can re-root and flash your favorite compatible ROM.

It's my understanding you can run V9 indefinitely and as long as you have taken steps to "trick" Sprint into believing you have the latest baseband, you won't have any issues.

Edit: Just make sure if you do update to VC, read the threads and follow the directions to update via the LG Update tool and do not accept the OTA Update. This will make your life much easier, IMO.
    kolepard likes this.
    02-23-2011 07:51 PM
    I was on VC for about a week and reverted back to V9 because I was getting stuck on the LG Logo Boot Loop on power down/up. The phone was operating perfectly fine as long as I didn't power down/up, without the phone connected to the computer with the laptop.

During that time, I saw no difference in the radio and there were actually some graphical things I saw that I didn't like while on VC. Besides the radio and graphics drivers, the issues with sd cards was also supposed to be addressed with the VC update, but I wasn't having sd card problems.

So the annoyance of the LG Logo Loop, the lack of perceived improvements in the radio, the negative graphic effects, and no influence on the sd card prompted me to go back to V, where IMO the choice of ROMs and features is currently better. That will probably change shortly, but for now, like someone else said, stay with what you've got but I suggest you keep monitoring the progress made in the VC-specific ROMs in terms of truly new features.
    02-23-2011 09:08 PM
    I get better reception, 3G more often in spots I used to get 1X, marginally better battery life. Also LG has JIT enabled in the stock configuration now, which leads me to believe they fixed a whatever bug made them decide to have it disabled in V8/9.

Like deb says, you can root VC...but it is definitely a bit of a chore to update and reconfigure everything how you like it, so if you are happy, I'd stay put.
    kolepard likes this.
    02-23-2011 09:20 PM
    I'm staying put. for now...
    02-24-2011 05:03 AM
    Much better battery life for me on VC. Before if I left 3G on at work, it would drain almost 20% while unplugged over lunch. Now it barely drains at all. Big improvement for my phone.
    02-24-2011 12:39 PM
    I also see a noticeable increase in battery life with VC. I have only had SD issues 3 times since I got the phone, but once it corrupted the card to the point where it had to be low-level wiped and reformatted to work correctly. No SD hiccups since changing. I see a slight improvement in game performance too.
    02-24-2011 01:03 PM
    Fwiw, updated from rooted v9 using TR 1.6.2 to TR 1.7 vc and can say my phone's performance is snappy and so far I've had no issues. My husband has a stock Optimus with vc and he hasn't noticed any problems, says his reception seems to be a little better in some areas of town. I guess the reason I wanted to update to vc is because any new ROMs and other development will be designed based on vc and the old ROMs (understandably because it would be a LOT to keep up with) will not be supported.
    02-24-2011 02:11 PM
    So the annoyance of the LG Logo Loop, the lack of perceived improvements in the radio, the negative graphic effects, and no influence on the sd card prompted me to go back to V, where IMO the choice of ROMs and features is currently better. That will probably change shortly, but for now, like someone else said, stay with what you've got but I suggest you keep monitoring the progress made in the VC-specific ROMs in terms of truly new features.
    I haven't updated yet... but this sums up what I'm waiting for. About the only reason I'd have to update now is the possibility of better battery life in low signal areas. But that's not a huge issue for me on V9.
    02-24-2011 03:05 PM
    Going to update to the newest now because I am tired of the nag screen... looks like a 2hr long process
    02-24-2011 03:22 PM
    Why not just flash one of the zips that removes the install message instead?
    02-24-2011 04:26 PM
    Going to update to the newest now because I am tired of the nag screen... looks like a 2hr long process
    It's actually really not that hard. If you're on TR right now, you can flash the OTA Stop buggin zip or update using the thread by RobChaos. It's actually straightforward. Worked for me without one problem. (fingers crossed so far)
    02-24-2011 04:46 PM
    I also see a noticeable increase in battery life with VC. I have only had SD issues 3 times since I got the phone, but once it corrupted the card to the point where it had to be low-level wiped and reformatted to work correctly. No SD hiccups since changing. I see a slight improvement in game performance too.
    OK... after posting this, the phone FREAKED OUT on me. Was acting like the screen was activating buttons, etc. on its own. Then when I rebooted.... The dreaded LG logo. I have tried the recoveries and no luck. Off to Sprint tomorrow to swap for a new one. Not sure what to do after that.

In the meantime.. my phone: HTC Touch (WM 6.1) running Gingerbread 2.3. Slooooww
    02-25-2011 10:23 AM
    OK... after posting this, the phone FREAKED OUT on me. Was acting like the screen was activating buttons, etc. on its own. Then when I rebooted.... The dreaded LG logo. I have tried the recoveries and no luck. Off to Sprint tomorrow to swap for a new one. Not sure what to do after that.

In the meantime.. my phone: HTC Touch (WM 6.1) running Gingerbread 2.3. Slooooww
    You tried this?
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-o...vc-update.html
    02-25-2011 10:32 AM
    Not that one specifically yet. Although, after all of the unsuccessful emergency mode flashes last night, I think it might be toast. I'll try this tonight. Not going to Sprint 'till tomorrow.
    02-25-2011 10:57 AM
    I originally wasn't going to go to the trouble of updating. I was happy with ThundeROM 1.6.2 and all the post when VC came out had me a little freaked out since I'm not a programmer. Then Beezy and KSimthInNY came out with ThundeROM 1.7 which didn't require me to revert all the way back to stock to install the upgrade. I followed the 6 simple steps laid out by Robchaos (post #1760, thanks again to him) in the ThundeROM forum and in less then 1/2 hour I was back up an running with a rooted VC phone.

I figured in the long run I'd need to be on VC before I could go to Gingerbread when it's available for our phone.
    02-25-2011 11:32 AM
    I was on VC for about a week and reverted back to V9 because I was getting stuck on the LG Logo Boot Loop on power down/up. The phone was operating perfectly fine as long as I didn't power down/up, without the phone connected to the computer with the laptop.
    Hey there...I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of how to get back to V9? Thanks man!
    02-25-2011 04:44 PM
    Hey there...I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of how to get back to V9? Thanks man!
    Instructions are in my signature.
    02-26-2011 06:32 AM