baseband?

guitarjac

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Been rooted and been running custom roms and am now running lego, but i just noticed in about phone that it lists my software as v9 but my baseband as v8 is this right?
I thought I hae had all the updates,could this just be listed wrong because of one of the roms?
Is there a way to update this without reverting back to stock or does it even matter?
thanks ,and thanks for all your hard work you guys do here!!!

jack

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I believe the baseband version string is hardcoded rather than being read dynamically from the installed baseband.

The baseband you have is the one that you had prior to installing a custom rom. Custom roms don't flash radio images.

linkfieldt

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I would like some more clarification on this issue:

Every ROM I try, nRom 1.5.2 (I have flashed both VC and V9 versions), thunderRom(1.8) and CM7 (3/2/11 nighlty) they all say this:

Baseband Version:
LS670MVC_60401001

SW Version:
LS670ZV9

Another Question too: What does update profile and update PRL do?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I would like some more clarification on this issue:

Every ROM I try, nRom 1.5.2 (I have flashed both VC and V9 versions), thunderRom(1.8) and CM7 (3/2/11 nighlty) they all say this:

Baseband Version:
LS670MVC_60401001

SW Version:
LS670ZV9

Another Question too: What does update profile and update PRL do?
The baseband version is a string hardcoded in the ROM you installed so it doesn't reflect what baseband you actually have installed. That just depends on which Sprint updates you have installed.

I don't know if the custom ROMs modify the SW Version. I think it is actually something persistent on the phone rather than a hardcoded string.

Update PRL updates the list and priority of roaming carriers for your phone.

Update Profile provisions your Data login and other parameters.

Reactions: linkfieldt

linkfieldt

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
OK that makes sense. When I was on ThundeROM my Baseband was VD, I forgot to put that in there.

So what is my baseband version? v9? The VD version of ThundeROM worked. I am currenlty using nROM 1.5.2 (VC) with no problems.

pcubed

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
OK that makes sense. When I was on ThundeROM my Baseband was VD, I forgot to put that in there.

So what is my baseband version? v9? The VD version of ThundeROM worked. I am currenlty using nROM 1.5.2 (VC) with no problems.

I think your baseband is whatever the SW version is listed on your phone. I believe Nick said that all versions of nROM, regardless of whether it's the VC or non-VC version works with any radio.

Found his post talking about it here.

Reactions: linkfieldt

scifan

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
The VC baseband seemed to be related to the LG hang issue... not sure if you will want to stay with that, or change...

linkfieldt

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
This forum is awesome! You guys always answer my questions and usually you do it fast! So just one more if that's OK :p

If my phone shipped with v9 radio, would I see improvement with vc or vd? (Aren't the updates just drivers for the new radios?) Does vd break wireless tether?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
This forum is awesome! You guys always answer my questions and usually you do it fast! So just one more if that's OK :p

If my phone shipped with v9 radio, would I see improvement with vc or vd? (Aren't the updates just drivers for the new radios?) Does vd break wireless tether?
The updates could potentially come with new:
1) radio
2) linux kernel
3) android

Radios control low-level operations like interacting with all the qualcomm chips, nvram, etc.

linux kernel handles general OS stuff like process management, filesystem, network, etc.

Android is a layer on top of the linux kernel that handles the UI, application loading, app security, etc.

Depending on what the update contains any number of things could change.

VC/VD also are supposed to have fixed the SD card mount problem. Don't know whether they fixed that in 1,2,3 or some combo.

VD disables the free wireless tether that used to be there. Either at the Android, linux, or combo of both layers. I believe the builtin wireless hotspot still "works" but it has been changed to use a different hotspot login which doesn't get provisioned unless you have the hotspot service option.

TR1.8 added back a different implementation of wireless tether separate from the builtin one.

Last edited:

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone who is on VD download "quick settings "and see if the built-in hotspot widget still works to create a full AP hotspot.?

No, it won't work. VD closed that loophole. In order for that to work now, you'll need to pay Sprint for the privilege. Or root and install a 3rd party wireless tether app.