Absolutely cannot update PRL (TR 1.7 and VC)...

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
So, I've been on TR 1.7 with the VC radio fine for 5 days now. Aside from having the LG Logo hang issue on power-down, it works fine. However, despite the fact that TR 1.7 should allow one to update their Profile and PRL without issue, I CANNOT update either no matter how many times I've tried (probably dozens over the past 3 days). All it ever does it say that it's checking for a PRL update, and just sits there for 10 minutes+ until finally noting some connection error. Is anyone else on TR with the VC update having this problem? Particularly those with LG Logo hang issue. I'm trying to see if this is another common thread at all.

This post: http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...cks/49268-hack-prl-swapping-6.html#post616491 seems to state that it's related to the NVRAM not being cleared properly at some point (however, unlike that post, I DID always let the LG Update Tool state "Complete" before ever unplugging the phone). Just wondering if this could potentially be tied to the problem with the LG Logo hang as well?

Thanks in advance. Any suggestions on how to actually get the PRL update to work would be appreciated as well.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If Update Profile works, then it isn't that big a deal that Update PRL doesn't work as you can load PRL in other ways.

Though, not being able to update PRL is usually the symptom of a bigger issue in that you usually can't do hands free activation and update profile either. HFA (entering the MDN and MSID) isn't that bad, you can enter it yourself, but not having Update Profile working can make it difficult to get data working if your profile ever gets reset (for example ##786# reset, after some upgrade, after some bad flash, or if Sprint's servers send out a request to Update Profile because something changed on their side)

You'll figure out at the worst time (after something breaks) that you can't get data working. If it were me, I'd figure out what is wrong now, even if the phone is otherwise working.

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, can't update Profile either. Same deal, just sits and times out. Wish that some others with the LG Logo hang would check this to see if we're all having the problem. Posted on the other thread, but never got a response.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You can try doing a ##786# reset (which will erase data/cache as well as reset NVRAM data) You will obviously lose your data, so backup what you need.

Only do this if you have the stock LG recovery or Zefie's recovery. The other custom recoveries might brick your phone.

There's some chance that your problem is with software/radio mismatches, which would mean even after resetting NVRAM, you still can't do HFA, Update PRL, and Update Profile. In that ase, you might be left with a phone that cannot get data set up, until you correct the software issue.

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
You can try doing a ##786# reset (which will erase data/cache as well as reset NVRAM data) You will obviously lose your data, so backup what you need.

Only do this if you have the stock LG recovery or Zefie's recovery. The other custom recoveries might brick your phone.

There's some chance that your problem is with software/radio mismatches, which would mean even after resetting NVRAM, you still can't do HFA, Update PRL, and Update Profile. In that ase, you might be left with a phone that cannot get data set up, until you correct the software issue.

Since the switch from CWM to thunderc did nothing to fix the LG Logo issue, I might as well switch back to CWM anyhow. So, would I still possibly be stuck in an unusable state even if I restore a nandroid backup I make prior to this action? In other words, I'll put back CWM recovery. Then make a nandroid backup, then give this a shot. If TR is working fine after that and I can update PRL, I'll probably just restore my apps with Titanium. Otherwise, if I'm having issues... should the nandroid backup get me back to a useable state?

Just making sure.

DCJoe

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Since the switch from CWM to thunderc did nothing to fix the LG Logo issue, I might as well switch back to CWM anyhow. So, would I still possibly be stuck in an unusable state even if I restore a nandroid backup I make prior to this action? In other words, I'll put back CWM recovery. Then make a nandroid backup, then give this a shot. If TR is working fine after that and I can update PRL, I'll probably just restore my apps with Titanium. Otherwise, if I'm having issues... should the nandroid backup get me back to a useable state?

Just making sure.

I did have this same issue when I was on nROM/ThunderRom running VC. Since I am back on V9 for now I haven't had any issues. My guess is it is related to the same issue causing the stuck LG Logo. But not sure, just confirming I had the same issue. Let us know how the ##786# works out.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Just making sure.
Your data login is kept in NVRAM.

Update Profile will query the network for your data login and populate your NVRAM info. If something is corrupted with the special profile used for HFA, the HFA could fail in the way you described.

Of the steps I described, the only step that will clear/reset NVRAM is ##786# reset (need your MSL) If will clear your data login (thus it won't work anymore) and it will reset the special profile used for HFA.

Do not do ##786# reset unless your ROM is based on LG (which ThunderRom 1.7 is) *and* your recovery is stock LG or CWMA. Otherwise you'll likely have problems.

NANDROID restore will not restore your NVRAM. Once those are reset and cleared, you will need to let Update Profile populate them. If you can't get Update Profile to work, then the problem wasn't with NVRAM. Instead it was probably a software/radio mismatch problem. You'd need to get your OS and radio matched up to address this.

If you want to be safer, you could do it in reverse order, and downgrade to V9 using force flash V9 and see if update profile works there first, so you can at least confirm there is some way for you to update profile, before you go and reset it.

Reactions: oldblue137

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Your data login is kept in NVRAM.

Update Profile will query the network for your data login and populate your NVRAM info. If something is corrupted with the special profile used for HFA, the HFA could fail in the way you described.

Of the steps I described, the only step that will clear/reset NVRAM is ##786# reset (need your MSL) If will clear your data login (thus it won't work anymore) and it will reset the special profile used for HFA.

Do not do ##786# reset unless your ROM is based on LG (which ThunderRom 1.7 is) *and* your recovery is stock LG or CWMA. Otherwise you'll likely have problems.

NANDROID restore will not restore your NVRAM. Once those are reset and cleared, you will need to let Update Profile populate them. If you can't get Update Profile to work, then the problem wasn't with NVRAM. Instead it was probably a software/radio mismatch problem. You'd need to get your OS and radio matched up to address this.

If you want to be safer, you could do it in reverse order, and downgrade to V9 using force flash V9 and see if update profile works there first, so you can at least confirm there is some way for you to update profile, before you go and reset it.

Understood. What's weird though is that if it was a login issue, you'd think there'd be some sort of login ERROR... but there's nothing. Just timeouts. There are errors from the mvpdm service in the logs from time to time though. Could that be related?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Understood. What's weird though is that if it was a login issue, you'd think there'd be some sort of login ERROR... but there's nothing. Just timeouts. There are errors from the mvpdm service in the logs from time to time though. Could that be related?
Yes, mvpdm is related to the OTA provisioning.

The data profile being used for OTA provisioning is separate from the data profile normally used for data on your phone. You may not see the same error messages you would if the regular data profile is not correct.

Treo_Robb

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't have the LG hang issue on shutdown, but I too am not able to update my PRL or profile. When I try, my 3G icon keeps disappearing and reappearing about 3-4 times and then I get an error that it could not be completed. It doesn't take long for this to happen though. And the problem only started with TR 1.7...

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't have the LG hang issue on shutdown, but I too am not able to update my PRL or profile. When I try, my 3G icon keeps disappearing and reappearing about 3-4 times and then I get an error that it could not be completed. It doesn't take long for this to happen though. And the problem only started with TR 1.7...

Are you also on the VC update? If not, that'll definitely happen.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes.

Baseband: LS670MVC_60401001
SW Version: LS670ZVC
From what has been posted before, the "Baseband" version is just a hard-coded string in the ROM. It isn't dynamically read from the radio to determine the version. Thus even if your baseband in the phone status says VC, it may or may not be VC, it just means your ROM was built off one that was bundled with VC.

junkshow

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, can't update Profile either. Same deal, just sits and times out. Wish that some others with the LG Logo hang would check this to see if we're all having the problem. Posted on the other thread, but never got a response.

I had both problems with a rooted stock VC install, but ##786# reset fixed the ability to update PRL and profile...I still had the LG logo hang. I finally was able to get the LG logo hang fixed, and then my inability to update PRL returned and once again, ##786# fixed it. Everything is working reasonably well now.

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I had both problems with a rooted stock VC install, but ##786# reset fixed the ability to update PRL and profile...I still had the LG logo hang. I finally was able to get the LG logo hang fixed, and then my inability to update PRL returned and once again, ##786# fixed it. Everything is working reasonably well now.

How did you manage to get the Logo hang working? Is that as in, "I can now power down the phone and turn it back on with no issue" or "I can work around the issue to successfully boot the phone back up"?

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I am definitely on VC baseband (did the VC update via the LG updater tool) and am using ThundeROM 1.7. I also experience the LG logo hang on a cold start-up of the phone. I am able to update my PRL and profile without problems. Each one takes about 20 or 30 seconds to complete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol