Carrier IQ

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It seems Optimus S has this Sprint "extra" also.

Carrier IQ details

Excerpts:
Put simply - and bluntly - Carrier IQ is a software package buried deep within Android by Samsung at the behest of Sprint. It has been in active use since the time of the Moment, if not before. The company that develops it, also known as Carrier IQ, bills it as "Mobile Service Intelligence".
Carrier IQ as a platform is designed to collect "metrics" at any scale. What I found it to hook into is far beyond the scope of anything a carrier needs - or should want - to be collecting. Carrier IQ sits in the middle of, and "checks" the data of, SMS and MMS messages. It listens for and receives every battery change notifications. It hooks into every web page you view, and every XML file your device reads. It receives every press of the touch screen. It 'sees' what you type on the physical keyboard. It reads every number you press in the dialer. It can track which applications you use, what 'type' they are, how often, and for how long. It hooks into data sent and received.

I, and the rest of ACS, ask Samsung and Sprint - why do you want this information? Why do you need it? Why is the capability in place?

The only saving grace - if there is one - to this nasty, ten-legged mutant spider is that its logs are off by default. During the investigation process, I was able to enter its UI. Below are two screenshots of it.

Here's the most important part (tl;dr): the Carrier IQ service is a drain on battery life and performance. ACS noticed a significant rise in Smartbench scores and overall system 'snappiness' after Carrier IQ's removal. In addition, with it removed, ACS team lead rjmjr69 saw 30 hours of battery life, with heavy use, on the stock battery.

Previous posting from Zefie and KSmithInNY
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s/45729-ever-wondered-what-iqagent.html

Last edited:

ltrz

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
If some are curious where to find some of the files/folders...here ya go. There are also a few /system/lib. Files as well...

/system/app/IQAgent.apk

/data/system/app_iq_archive

/data/data/com.carrieriq.iqagent

/data/dalvik-cache/system@app@iqagent.apk@classes.dex

/cache/dalvik-cache/system@app@iqagent.apk@classes.dex

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

DoesItMatter

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Good info! This has been removed from my phone along with all of its extra data files.

I don't see any instability or bootup issues or whatever - not one problem removing this.

Currently using nRom 1.5.2

Interested to see how much this helps battery life!

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
CM7

Cyanogenmod is never touched by Sprint (or other carriers), so those of you that are running Scott Pilgrim's Awesomeness have nothing to worry about.

Anonamoose

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
Thank You So Much for this info! It doesnt suprise me one bit though a lot (not all) of the apps on the market are like that too if you read the fine print before downloading.... hmmm not very free is it?

Robchaos_

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
If this sprint added program is as intertwined with the o.s. As sounds like, is it possible that it might take more then just deleting a few apks to truly get rid of it? Is this service referenced at the kernel level anywhere? To provide such all encompassing tracking you'd think it might be.

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
If some are curious where to find some of the files/folders...here ya go. There are also a few /system/lib. Files as well...

/system/app/IQAgent.apk

/data/system/app_iq_archive

/data/data/com.carrieriq.iqagent

/data/dalvik-cache/system@app@iqagent.apk@classes.dex

/cache/dalvik-cache/system@app@iqagent.apk@classes.dex

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

I didn't have the last 2 files.

and are the ones in lib
/system/lib/libiq_service.so
/system/lib/libiq_client.so

Also, what is /system/bin/iqmsd ?

dersgniw

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
It's running on my phone with ThundeRom.

At boot taking up 19meg, stime:3 utime:5

After about a day taking up 31meg, stime:133 utime:51

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Just went to remove this from my wife's Epic 4G. Not all Sprint phones have it, or some hide it better.

/system/app/IQAgent.apk - doesn't exist

/data/system/app_iq_archive - exists

/data/data/com.carrieriq.iqagent - doesn't exist

/data/dalvik-cache/system@app@iqagent.apk@classes.dex - doesn't exist

/cache/dalvik-cache/system@app@iqagent.apk@classes.dex - doesn't exist

jrsndr

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
You know I deleted all the files you mentioned (except the files in the lib folder) and the program doesn't seem to run. I reboot, however, and the IQAgent service runs on boot every time and has to be closed. Is there another file somewhere that can be deleted maybe? It doesn't seem to start back up once closed though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae