Root Access

five40i

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Now...I have a question. My phone is rooted and running ThunderRom. With all these malicious apps that gain root access and do all sorts of bad stuff going around. If I have superuser installed will it stop these apps getting root access?
If not is there anyway I can lock down root access as I do with all my computers, which are running Linux.

Thanks.

nikc4

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I believe that's the whole purpose of superuser. You have to expressly give an app superuser permission before it can get root access.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Those malicious apps you've been reading about don't need any superuser. You just grant them permission implicitly by installing them while ignoring the list of privileges they ask for. If they had superuser, they could do even worse and flash new Recoveries and modify your ROM.

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Those malicious apps you've been reading about don't need any superuser. You just grant them permission implicitly by installing them while ignoring the list of privileges they ask for. If they had superuser, they could do even worse and flash new Recoveries and modify your ROM.

Makes me think of the Matrix, huh morpheous?

Sent from my Gingerbreaded NookColor using Tapatalk...

kazea182

Jan 2, 2011
www.sxcomputers.net
I agree with Nikc4, isn't that the whole purpose of SuperUser? For an app to gain the root access SuperUser (annoyingly) asks YOU if you want the app to have root access. For example, should I install TitaniumBackup from the market (for root) when I install it, it doesn't say it requires "root" when installing, when I open TB app, SuperUser asks ME if i want to give it root. Is this the correct answer or do some apps just use root without requesting it anyway? Just for clairifcation. :)

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes that is how SuperUser.apk is designed.

However those particular apps that were pulled were probably more interested in sending text messages to numbers that charge money (which they get a cut) or ad click-throughs for affiliate money, both of which can be done without root.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So it looks like those apps have 2 parts. The first part about sending various info, they can accomplish without root. The second part about downloading stuff in the background (ie generic backdoor trojan installer) required root. At least 2 of the apps are supposed to be using the rage exploit (which I guess VC users are now immune from)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz