Hey guys, I'm in need of some help.

Long story short, my friend has an lg optimus s that has a corrupted recovery that doesn't seem to want to be fixed by flash_image and stuff. When I try to boot into recovery mode, the screen is just dark.

Any tips on how this might be solved? I've looked everywhere and I haven't found a good solution.

I've tried flashing a new image using terminal, but no luck with that. I still keep getting the blank screen.

I'm not sure what info is useful, but I know the phone is rooted. If there's anything else you need to know, I'll see if I can figure it out and report back.

Thanks so much
    03-06-2011 01:23 PM
    Your friend probably has a newer Optimus S with the new LCD hardware.

Any Recovery or Android earlier than VC doesn't have the drivers to control the LCD so the screen will be blank. The phone is still technically functional as it boots and the touch screen and buttons work, you just don't have any visual feedback.

If you flash the VC recovery you should be able to get the Recovery to show stuff on your screen. For the purposes of rooting though, you are better off with the V9 Recovery that has the blank screen. You can still do the adb shell and rage operations.
    03-06-2011 01:38 PM
    Your friend probably has a newer Optimus S with the new LCD hardware.

Any Recovery or Android earlier than VC doesn't have the drivers to control the LCD so the screen will be blank. The phone is still technically functional as it boots and the touch screen and buttons work, you just don't have any visual feedback.

If you flash the VC recovery you should be able to get the Recovery to show stuff on your screen. For the purposes of rooting though, you are better off with the V9 Recovery that has the blank screen. You can still do the adb shell and rage operations.
    My friend got the phone at the beginning of December. Is that around when the new LCDs were introduced?

can you give me a link or something for somewhere good to start? I tried doing a search, but I'm not sure where to go (sorry for being a noob!)

I think the person would rather have the screen working

Thanks a lot!

[EDIT] my friend's optimus came with v9 software to begin with and hasn't been updated, so it probably isn't the new screen, right?
    03-06-2011 04:34 PM
    Right, must be a different problem. It sounded like the LCD problem, but the timing doesn't match up.

You might want to see whether Recovery is working with blank screen though. Plug the phone in and see if there are USB sounds. If so, try adb shell and see if you get an error about /system/bin/sh not being found.
    03-06-2011 06:29 PM
    My friend got the phone at the beginning of December. Is that around when the new LCDs were introduced?

can you give me a link or something for somewhere good to start? I tried doing a search, but I'm not sure where to go (sorry for being a noob!)

I think the person would rather have the screen working

Thanks a lot!

[EDIT] my friend's optimus came with v9 software to begin with and hasn't been updated, so it probably isn't the new screen, right?
    Any luck?
    03-08-2011 04:01 PM
    If your recovery rom is toast, you might need a new phone.
    03-08-2011 05:06 PM
    Any luck?
    not yet. I booted into recovery, and my computer didn't have any response to the phone being plugged in

any other ideas?

I was using these instructions to try to push a recovery using flash_image today using adb
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-o...rc-sprint.html

and I got an error message when I typed this: mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak

error message:
    failed on '/system/etc/install-recovery.sh' - No such file or directory

any thoughts?
    03-12-2011 07:53 PM
    That is an expected error. Some installations will have the shell script and others won't. In particular, if you've accepted an OTA update, it'll be there, but if you haven't then it won't. Just continue to the next step.
    03-12-2011 08:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD