Ive been looking at the ways to update to VC and I guess theres the different ways to do it.

1. Force flashing VC
    2. Un rooting changing to stock recovery then updating and re rooting
    3. updating then flashing a VC ROM (the way RobChaos came up with)

so which way is the easiest by easiest I mean the most successful or easyest to not mess up on and end up bricking your phone
    03-07-2011 04:23 PM
    Ive been looking at the ways to update to VC and I guess theres the different ways to do it.

1. Force flashing VC
    2. Un rooting changing to stock recovery then updating and re rooting
    3. updating then flashing a VC ROM (the way RobChaos came up with)

so which way is the easiest by easiest I mean the most successful or hardest to mess up on and end up bricking your phone with
    If you have a VC flashable zip file, I would say option 3.
    Option 1 and 2 requires Windows and the LG Tool. Actually Option 2 is not possible (if you update via OTA).
    uberjam545 likes this.
    03-07-2011 04:27 PM
    Option 1 and 2 requires Windows and the LG Tool. Actually Option 2 is not possible (if you update via OTA).
    I was afraid to try the third way because people have always been saying don't update to VC unless your running every thing as stock but I guess its different with the updater tool and it has been working for people so I think I'll try that sometime tomorrow
    03-07-2011 05:02 PM
    But there is another option that I have been pondering. Yes update with with the LG updater the normal way that actually seems to download vc off the net or update using the KP500 tool which does use the updater but you must provide the .cab file to flash.
    Mind you the normal way is what has been the problem. So try the kp tool would be option 4 or 1 or 3 now I'm confused again. if thats what was op's intention.
    03-07-2011 05:29 PM
    Using kp500 is force flashing the reason I didn't want to try that way cuz it seems very complicated (i also use windows 7 and I guess theres some compatibility issues) so im afraid of messing it up but is force flashing really that hard?
    03-07-2011 06:10 PM
    I would love a "clear cut" way that's approved by most as "the way" to update. I'm running ThundeRom and I'd LOVE to update, but I'm scared of doing the VC update wrong, and don't want to flash fully back to stock unless I "have" to do it.

(Would love a well written guide we could get stickified)
    03-07-2011 06:56 PM
    I would love a "clear cut" way that's approved by most as "the way" to update. I'm running ThundeRom and I'd LOVE to update, but I'm scared of doing the VC update wrong, and don't want to flash fully back to stock unless I "have" to do it.

(Would love a well written guide we could get stickified)
    Yea your just like me I've looked at all the different ways but each one seems either to complicated or to scetchy to risk trying
    03-07-2011 07:16 PM
    But there is another option that I have been pondering. Yes update with with the LG updater the normal way that actually seems to download vc off the net or update using the KP500 tool which does use the updater but you must provide the .cab file to flash.
    Functionally those two methods LG Software Updater and KP500 Force Flash VC cab (in diag mode) are doing the same thing.

The difference is whether the front-end to the flash tool downloads the cab from the net or takes the one you provide.

If you've had a particular problem with LG Software Updater updating to VC, that same problem could happen with KP500 Force Flashing VC. They are really doing the same thing, just the input parameter setup is different. The cab files are the same also.

Now KP500 flashing in Emergency Mode (the unbrick thread) is doing things slightly different and in that case, it is possible KP500 behaves differently than LG Software Updater.
    03-07-2011 07:55 PM
    Option 3 (RobChaos) requires Windows and LG Tool also.
    03-07-2011 07:56 PM
    Yea I guess I'll hold off for a while still wait for someone to come up with a magical way that'll always work no matter what
    03-07-2011 09:04 PM
    There will never be a magical way that cannot fail. Not saying it is likely to fail. Just that you flash you always take a risk.

I would go with what RobChaos outlined.
    03-07-2011 09:16 PM
    There will never be a magical way that cannot fail. Not saying it is likely to fail. Just that you flash you always take a risk.

I would go with what RobChaos outlined.
    I was mostly being sarcastic but I just flashed nROM so I'm going to play with that for a little while first
    03-07-2011 09:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD