flashing stock recovery with terminal emulator

cmillions

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I would kindly appreciated, if someone with experience could show me how I would go about flashing back the stock recovery, using the terminal emulator on the phone.

mercrapper

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I would kindly appreciated, if someone with experience could show me how I would go about flashing back the stock recovery, using the terminal emulator on the phone.

in Terminal Emulator
$su
#flash_image recovery [full path to the recovery image you want]

NOTE : This is assuming you have the flash_image utility somewhere in your path (probably /system/bin)

NOTE 1 : Be careful that the recovery image is correct and intact (check the MD5 hash against what's posted) because if you flash a bad recovery, you are pretty much screwed. I know first hand. :-!

Reactions: cmillions

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Check the sticky in this same section about how to unroot your phone. More specifically I believe starting at line 26 is of interest.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/45403-how-unroot-your-phone-return-stock.html

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Going off of what KSmith said:

I assume you have flash_recovery already, as that's how you got your custom recovery on there.

From his link...(this is copy/pasted)

15) Download my Stock V8 Nandroid Dump
16) Unzip it into the root of the USB Device/SDCard

In the terminal:
Type "su" to get superuser access...(should change $ -> #. If you already have #, ignore this).
28) cd /sdcard/nandroid/mem=477M/BCDMRS12-20101122-1915
29) flash_image recovery recovery.img
30) reboot

I don't know if this will work for sure, but I don't see why not.

Last edited:

cmillions

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Shortyjacobs- thanks for your time, you have made nice step by step process, just what I was hopping that someone would do, I applicate that. question what would be the worst case scenario flashing the stock image.

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Heck if I know. Whatever the consequences of flashing a custom recovery are, maybe?

I think the risks are pretty low...but I guess it depends on how comfortable you are with what you are doing. And maybe what understanding you have of what's going on...(someone else correct me here if I am off base).

You download a stock nandroid backup in step 15. Step 16 has you unzip it to the root of the SD card. The zip of the backup has a directory structure in it, so it will unzip a bunch of directories, (some of which, like nandroid, probably already exist on your SD card). The directories will merge.

Typing "su" in the terminal gives you superuser access. I am not sure if this is required to run the flash_image script or not...

You then cd (change directory), into the nandroid backup directory, where you run the flash_image script telling it to overwrite the current recovery with the recovery.img in the nandroid backup directory.

Should work fine, but again, never tried it.

I guess with anything, "worst case" is bricking the phone.

More importantly, WHY are you wanting to flash the stock image???

cmillions

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Well because I wanted to update my phone to vc through the LG updater on the computer but I had mistakenly flashed the custom recovery before doing so,I believe I have to revert back to stock recovery before I update it., so that I wont end up with a brick. Is that true?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Well because I wanted to update my phone to vc through the LG updater on the computer but I had mistakenly flashed the custom recovery before doing so,I believe I have to revert back to stock recovery before I update it., so that I wont end up with a brick. Is that true?

the reason you'd use the LG updater is because it doesnt touch your recovery image. It leavs the custom recovery in place which is what you want.

THIS LINK will teach you how to take a rooted v9 phone with a custom recovery, update it to VC, then you'll have to flash a VC ROM. No messing with the recovery

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
So are you saying that I can update my phone to vc on the computer, with my installed custom recovery,and it should be fine?

whoa whoa whoa dont do anything ..... VD is out so if you update through the LG updater tool it will push VD (alright alright ... make the sex ed jokes) and we don't know anything about VD.

Hang tight.

cmillions

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
OK nice link! thanks. it seems like it makes sense. I cant get my sdk tools to work, so when it says to type reboot recovery, could I just do it by terminal emulator?