04-24-2011 01:39 PM
295 12345 ...
tools
    First time post but I'm always reading and learning. First thanks to all who help us non programmers out. My question is I'm one of the people that have the new phone with the newer lcd so when I reflash back to V9 my display goes black. So how can I root with z4root when I cannot see the screen to launch the app?
    I'm missing something that can get me around this problem? Good news I was able to flash back to ZVD with no problem. Hope my post is clear enough to understand.
    Thanks again
    03-11-2011 02:01 AM
    i have a refurbish phone with v9 how do i root it? with the z4root? or do i use the HOW TO ROOT guide?
    03-11-2011 03:03 AM
    12 hrs passed a while ago.. still no noob guide
    03-11-2011 08:19 AM
    i have a refurbish phone with v9 how do i root it? with the z4root? or do i use the HOW TO ROOT guide?
    I would use z4root.
    03-11-2011 09:09 AM
    Ok I am gonna do this tonight, when you do this do I need to wipe davlik, cache, or data? Right now I'm running TR 1.7 & Xionia recovery. do I just update, root, reboot and it will be right back into TR 1.7 with all my data? Thanks

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
    03-11-2011 10:31 AM
    If you are using windows, you probably will not see the .img extension. (I don't - Windows Vista and Windows 7) But really - with all the problems you seem to be having - have you considered the RomTools app?

http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-o...-v2-3-1-a.html

It includes Xionia Clockwork recovery.
    I never knew what that did maybe I'll try it later (I'm in school right now lol) but does it go on your computer our you phone?
    03-11-2011 11:08 AM
    Ok I am gonna do this tonight, when you do this do I need to wipe davlik, cache, or data? Right now I'm running TR 1.7 & Xionia recovery. do I just update, root, reboot and it will be right back into TR 1.7 with all my data? Thanks

You'll want to do a nandroid backup and then restore it after you do the update. The update wipes out a lot of things.
    03-11-2011 11:32 AM
    Simple enough, nandroid, update, root, restore nandroid, back to normal i hope!

03-11-2011 12:17 PM
    Simple enough, nandroid, update, root, restore nandroid, back to normal i hope!

You can skip the root part, if you are restoring a nandroid or going directly to a rooted custom rom.
    03-11-2011 12:44 PM
    I never knew what that did maybe I'll try it later (I'm in school right now lol) but does it go on your computer our you phone?
    It's an executable program for your pc. You download it to your pc, unzip it to your desktop (or where ever) and run it. Follow all inductions in the op!

03-11-2011 01:33 PM
    You can skip the root part, if you are restoring a nandroid or going directly to a rooted custom rom.
    Does running a rooted custom rom give you rooted access? So, for me, I'm currently rooted and on V9 using LEGO rom. Are you saying that I can update to the VD radio and go back to using LEGO rom without re-rooting?
    03-11-2011 01:50 PM
    Does running a rooted custom rom give you rooted access? So, for me, I'm currently rooted and on V9 using LEGO rom. Are you saying that I can update to the VD radio and go back to using LEGO rom without re-rooting?
    Yes, that is correct.

Keep in mind, this is a rarity and probably like many have said, because during all the custom recovery installations in this forum, you run a command similar to this:

mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak

This command renames a script that is used to flash a recovery image onto the phone, a piece of the puzzle that LG relies on to flash the recovery. A mistake on their part.

Most phone setups do not allow for this, so please do not consider this the norm, but you can get away with it in this specific instance.

So, since you are on V9, and assuming you already have a custom recovery installed through instructions on this forum, do the following:

Optional) Backup your apps, if you are wanting to keep them (Tools like MyBackUp and Titanium BackUp have free versions on the market, but you may consider donating to their respective devs hard work and purchase the pay version. The pay version's unlock features and speed sometimes.).

1) Download a VC based ROM (LEGOv2, nROM 1.5.2, or ThundeROM 1.7) or CM7, read more about those here. Or wait until VD based ROM's are released....

ThundeRom 1.8 is out and VD based. Click link above.

2) Move the ROM to your SD card.

3) Use the LG Mobile Support Tool to upgrade to VD.

4) Type the following from a command prompt after the tool tells you the upgrade is complete:

adb reboot recovery
    This should put you back into your custom recovery.

5) Make a nandroid backup now.

You could have made a nandroid earlier before you started the process, but after upgrading your radio to VD, that backup probably would not have went well for you if you tried to apply it to VD baseband phone. I haven't tested that, so I do not know what it would do.

6) Flash the recently downloaded VC or VD based rom, reboot and enjoy.

Optional) Restore apps, if you backed them up.

Have a nice day, that will be one click on the Thanks button below.
    03-11-2011 03:25 PM
    Haha. Thanks for your explanation on that! I will have to give it a shot after work tonight. =)
    03-11-2011 03:31 PM
    n00b guide!!! n00b guide!!! n00b guide!!! n00b guide!!!
    Please
    03-11-2011 04:33 PM
    for step 11 in part two the commands would be

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    and then
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox

did i miss or add any extra spaces or anything?
    03-11-2011 04:51 PM
    for step 11 in part two the commands would be

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    and then
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox

did i miss or add any extra spaces or anything?
    That looks fine.

You could also type:
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/su /system/bin/busybox
    uberjam545 likes this.
    03-11-2011 04:55 PM
    ok cool thx for the quick response
    03-11-2011 04:58 PM
    ok i finally got the xionia custom recovery so now im looking at doing this again i looked through all the posts and saw two people ask if you can do this from a custom ROM but there wasn't any answers so now im asking the same thing
    03-11-2011 05:38 PM
    ok i finally got the xionia custom recovery so now im looking at doing this again i looked through all the posts and saw two people ask if you can do this from a custom ROM but there wasn't any answers so now im asking the same thing
    Look at simon.ponder's post above. Is that what you're talking about?
    03-11-2011 05:41 PM
    Look at simon.ponder's post above. Is that what you're talking about?
    not really im just flashing an old nandroid of stock gives me a chance to try my new recovery anyway

(lol i forgot how stupid the stock theme looks)
    03-11-2011 05:43 PM
    we extract the files from the optimus root vd thing right?
    also as its updating its telling me it reboots automatically do i pull the batter or something
    03-11-2011 06:08 PM
    also as its updating its telling me it reboots automatically do i pull the batter or something
    Yeah.

The su, busybox and Superuser.apk binaries are included in OptimusRootVD.zip, which is attached to this post.
    Make sure you extract the files to an easily accessible folder.
    03-11-2011 06:12 PM
    Yeah.
    cool im booting up right now after following everything ill tell you how it works out

UPDATE: yea it worked i did something right on the first try whooo!
    03-11-2011 06:19 PM
    yes, extract and copy to your sdcard.

Which "updating" are you talking about? If you are talking about LG Software Updater, it will do all the reboots by itself. You don't need to touch the phone during that process.
    03-11-2011 06:22 PM
    cool im booting up right now after following everything ill tell you how it works out

UPDATE: yea it worked i did something right on the first try whooo!
    Congrats! Let me know how it's working out for you! I'm right behind you with the updating thing...just need to wait til I get home after work to get it done.
    03-11-2011 06:26 PM
295 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD