[How-To] Guide to rooting with software version LS670ZVD (OUTDATED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi Drew,

In Part 1.6, folks use LG Software Updater to update to ZVD. That unroots them for the purposes of Android apps because the software udpater overwrites /system with stock ZVD. You still have easy access to root through the custom recovery, but that is not the same as android apps being able to access root.

Then in parts 3, 4, 5, 6 your instructions depend on installing Quick Boot to perform the reboot into recovery. However Quick Boot depends on root, which you lost in Part 1.6, and as far as I can tell, you never got back by the time Quick Boot is referenced.

Would it be simpler if you just asked them to do
adb reboot recovery
like in the preface, instead of downloading a market app that depends on root, which they don't have at that point?

I'm working through your instructions in my head and haven't actually run them, so maybe I'm missing something.

darkpower_4

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
This works!

You should have your phone connected by USB to your PC through this.

Press the "back" button 5 times to make sure you are out of any menus.

Press and hold voice command (button above camera) until you hear a beep.

Say very clearly "Application Settings"

You'll hear 2 beeps.

There will be a prompt on your screen asking if you want to open "Application Settings" It will have two choices [OK] and [Cancel]

To select OK locate the point about 1" from bottom left of screen, anywhere on the left half of screen should be fine. The width of the OK button is half the screen.

Now make sure you phone is oriented in *Landscape* mode.

There will be 4 options

Unknown sources
Manage applications
Running services
Development

Development is what you want. It is located at the bottom of the Landscape screen. Just about 1/8" to 1/4" from the bottom edge (in landscape mode, the bottom edge is actually the side of the phone). Press anywhere in that area, the option spans the entire width of the phone.

Now you will be on the Development page. It will have 3 options. The page will have status bar at the top, then a line with the name of the category "Development" then the 3 options.

USB debugging
Stay awake
Allow mock locations

USB debugging is the one you want. It is about 1/2" from the top of the screen (in landscape mode, top edge is side edge of phone). Press USB debugging.

There will be a confirmation prompt "Allow USB debugging?" with OK and Cancel as options. In landscape mode the buttons each take up half the screen. OK is on the left half of the screen about 1/4" from the bottom edge (in landscape bottom edge is side edge)

If you are successful, you should hear a bunch of USB sounds on your PC and notification sounds on your phone.

If not, press "back" button 5 times to get out of any menus and start again.

Took twenty times or so to get my fingers in the right spots but i did it. Thanks again!

little-john

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I have one of the new Optimus with the new lcd. I tried to root my phone using SFhub updated procedure where you flash xionia_cwma_12518.4 recovery image.
Everything went well had root from kp's rageagainstthecage method, then I just wanted the stock rom of VD with root acess so I used drewwaltons part 5 procedure. After doing this and upon reboot I have VD software and xiona' s recovery with working screens, but I lost root access. Any ideas of where I went wrong or did I forget something?
Thanks for any help on this.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have one of the new Optimus with the new lcd. I tried to root my phone using SFhub updated procedure where you flash xionia_cwma_12518.4 recovery image.
Everything went well had root from kp's rageagainstthecage method, then I just wanted the stock rom of VD with root acess so I used drewwaltons part 5 procedure. After doing this and upon reboot I have VD software and xiona' s recovery with working screens, but I lost root access. Any ideas of where I went wrong or did I forget something?
Thanks for any help on this.
rage gives you temporary root so you can install something more permanent like the "su" program in /system/bin

If you still have xionia, it is trivial to install the su executable.

I think you probably didn't realize after following Drew's instructions, you were installing "on demand" root.

turn on your phone

make sure you aren't in lock screen

in adb shell type "su"

look on the phone for a prompt asking for root privileges. Accept that prompt.

adb shell's prompt should change from $ to #.

little-john

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Sfhub
Thanks for the reply. I tried what you said and it replies with su and the $ sign again and no root permissions request on the screen. Any ideas?

jrockrockon

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi Drew,

In Part 1.6, folks use LG Software Updater to update to ZVD. That unroots them for the purposes of Android apps because the software udpater overwrites /system with stock ZVD. You still have easy access to root through the custom recovery, but that is not the same as android apps being able to access root.

Then in parts 3, 4, 5, 6 your instructions depend on installing Quick Boot to perform the reboot into recovery. However Quick Boot depends on root, which you lost in Part 1.6, and as far as I can tell, you never got back by the time Quick Boot is referenced.

Would it be simpler if you just asked them to do

like in the preface, instead of downloading a market app that depends on root, which they don't have at that point?

I'm working through your instructions in my head and haven't actually run them, so maybe I'm missing something.
sfhub, are you implying that we can simply flash the OptimusRootVD.zip from recovery? Flashing from recovery would be super easy. Because then the instructions could be to reboot recovery, flash OptimusRootVD.zip, nand (if you want), then wipe, then flash ROMs to your heart's content.

I've tried using the instructions in step 5 but when I type "mount" adb tells me I need to include some other parameter such as -r or -w or -o... So I'm not quite sure how to get root access back at this point.

Pardon my ignorance.

little-john

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Drew you are a life saver. Was having hard time getting root access after getting xiona recovery loaded it still would not give me root. I ran your updated zip file and it rooted just fine.
Again thanks a million

phufool

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I have VC baseband, am rooted, have Xionia Clockwork Recovery, and nROM installed. Do I need to go back to stock ROM before I update to VD via LG Updater Tool?

Thanks!

nomad85

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
1) Make sure you have the Android SDK and SDK Platform-tools installed and configured. Do NOT ask questions about Android SDK installation in this thread.

How does one do this, I went to install the SDK and it said I needed a Java program, I went to java and they wanted me to login, am I doing this right or is there an easier way? I tried to search, but the results were not helpful.
thanks,

nomad85

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I went back to the Java site and more programs came up this time it did not ask for a login. But after I install the JDK or whatever it is I still cant install the SDK starter kit.

Last edited:

nomad85

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
64bit. I am trying the zip instead of the exe for the SDK and it seems to be working, should I have done 32 bit instead?
The SDK takes a looong time to install is that normal? I'm on a windows 7 64bit computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.