[How-To] Guide to rooting with software version LS670ZVD (OUTDATED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
[note]THIS GUIDE IS OUTDATED, PLEASE USE THIS GUIDE INSTEAD!!![/note]

Rooting the LG Optimus S with software version[/SIZE] LS670ZVD

If you are running the CM7 Gingerbread port:
You need to flash a VC-based version of nROM, ThundeROM or Lego ROM BEFORE using this guide.

Big Fat Disclaimer:
1) Make sure you read this guide in it's entirety before attempting root.
2) If you need clarification on any of the steps outlined in this guide, ask before experimenting!
3) As with all Android modifications/tweaks, there is ALWAYS a risk of bricking your device. Make sure you understand all of the steps in this guide before attempting to root your device.
4) Last but not least, I am not responsible for bricks due to your mistakes! You are performing these steps at your own risk.

This guide assumes you have added the Android SDK tools directory to your PATH variable. Instructions for Windows 2000/XP can be found here. Instructions for Windows Vista/7 can be found here. With the latest version of the Android SDK, the default tools folder is "platform-tools" which is in the "Android\android-sdk-windows" folder in Program Files. With some versions of the Android SDK the default tools folder is simply "tools" which is in the "Android\android-sdk-windows" folder in Program Files. Your mileage may vary.
Techneek TV (mrinehart93) has a great video tutorial on how to do this in Windows Vista/7. Watch it here.

The su, busybox and Superuser.apk binaries are included in OptimusRootVD.zip, which is attached to this post.
The flashable FlashRootVD-signed.zip is attached to this post. You only need one or the other, depending on which path you choose to take.
If you downloaded OptimusRootVD.zip, extract the files to an easily accessible folder.
If you downloaded FlashRootVD-signed.zip, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO OPEN OR EXTRACT ANYTHING.

Special thanks to Nick7, Zefie, Beezy, and everyone else who tries so hard to free this awesome device from the hands of LG. You guys rock.

There are multiple parts to this guide. Please read only the parts that apply to you.

Table of Contents:
Preface: Determining if you need to revert to ZV9 and/or update to ZVD (EVERYBODY MUST READ THIS!!!)
Part 1: Determining the correct root procedure
Part 2: If you installed LS670ZVD and didn't have a custom recovery kernel
Part 3: If you wish to simply update to the VD radio and run a custom ROM (Xionia Clockwork Recovery)
Part 4: If you wish to simply update to the VD radio and run a custom ROM (drellisdee's Custom Recovery)
Part 5: If you wish to run the stock VD software but also have root access (Xionia Clockwork Recovery)
Part 6: If you wish to run the stock VD software but also have root access (drellisdee's Custom Recovery)
Part 7: Rooting using FlashRootVD-signed.zip (Xionia Clockwork Recovery)
Part 8:
Rooting using FlashRootVD-signed.zip (drellisdee's Custom Recovery)
Part 9:
Extra Notes

Preface: Determining if you need to revert to LS670ZV9 and/or update to LS670ZVD.
Before you can update from V9/VC to VD, you need to make sure some important steps are followed or else you will have to start all over again. Please follow the steps below.

1) On your LG Optimus S, navigate to Settings->About phone and check the SW Version.
2) If the SW Version is LS670ZV9, you must be rooted to follow these steps.
3) If the SW Version is LS670ZVC, you must be rooted to follow these steps.
If you have LS670ZVC and are NOT rooted, you need to revert to LS670ZV9 first!
4) If the SW Version is LS670ZVD and you DO NOT have a custom recovery kernel, skip to Part 2. If you are unsure which recovery kernel you have, follow Part 1.
5) Install either Xionia Clockwork Recovery or drellisdee's Custom Recovery. Do NOT ask questions about recovery kernel installation in this thread.
6) Using the LG Mobile Support tool, update your device to LS670ZVD. Do NOT ask questions about the LG tool in this thread.
7) If you have Xionia Clockwork Recovery, continue to Part 3 or Part 5.
8) If you have drellisdee's Custom Recovery, continue to Part 4 or Part 6.
9) If you have the stock recovery kernel, you didn't follow the directions and should be slapped.

Part 1: Determining the correct root procedure
The latest update that LG has pushed out for the LG Optimus S can make things a little confusing, but it also makes things a little easier as well. The first thing we need to do is determine which recovery kernel is currently installed on your device. This is the easiest part of the process.

1) Make sure you have the Android SDK and SDK Platform-tools installed and configured. Do NOT ask questions about Android SDK installation in this thread.
2) Open a Windows command prompt.
3) To reboot to recovery mode, type the code below, followed by the Enter key.
adb reboot recovery
4) If your device screen looks like THIS, you have Xionia Clockwork Recovery and need to follow either Part 3 or Part 5.
5) If your device screen looks like THIS, you have drellisdee's Custom Recovery and need to follow either Part 4 or Part 6.
6) If your device screen looks like THIS, you have the stock recovery kernel and need to follow Part 2 first.

Part 2: If you installed LS670ZVD and didn't have a custom recovery kernel

1) Downgrade to LS670ZV9 (not ZVC) as per this thread. Do NOT ask questions about reverting, force-flashing or KP500 in this thread.
2) Root V9 with z4root. Do NOT ask questions about z4root in this thread.
3) Flash either Xionia Clockwork Recovery or drellisdee's Custom Recovery. Do NOT ask questions about recovery kernel installation in this thread.
4) Using the LG Mobile Support Tool, update to LS670ZVD. Do NOT ask questions about the LG tool in this thread.
5) If you flashed Xionia Clockwork Recovery, continue to Part 3 or Part 5.
6) If you flashed drellisdee's Custom Recovery, continue to Part 4 or Part 6.

Part 3: If you wish to simply update to the VD radio and run a custom ROM (Xionia Clockwork Recovery)
Now that you have Xionia Clockwork Recovery installed and your device updated to LS670ZVD, it's time to install a custom ROM.

1) Download either ThundeROM, nROM or the Scott Pilgrim Awesomeness CM7 build. Lego ROM will also work, but has way too many variables to be officially supported by this guide.
2) Reboot to recovery mode by opening a Windows command prompt and executing:
adb reboot recovery
3) Using the Volume-up/Volume-down keys, select 'mounts and storage' and press the Menu key.
4) Using the Volume-up/Volume-down keys, select 'mount USB storage' and press the Menu key. A new removable disk drive will be added by Windows.
5) Take that ROM you downloaded earlier (along with all of the extra required ZIP files depending on the ROM) and copy all relevant ZIP files to your device.
6) When the ZIP files finish copying, press the Menu key on your device to unmount USB storage.
7) Press the Back key once.
8) Using the Volume-up/Volume-down keys, select 'install zip from sdcard' and press the Menu key.
9) Using the Volume-up/Volume-down keys, select 'choose zip from sdcard' and press the Menu key.
10) Navigate to the ROM files you downloaded previously, and press the Menu key to begin the flashing process. Make sure you flash the ZIP files in order. The correct order can be found in the ROM's respective thread.
11) Press the Back key until you have reached the main recovery screen.
12) Using the Volume-up/Volume-down keys, select 'wipe data/factory reset' and press the Menu key.
13) Using the Volume-up/Volume-down keys, select 'reboot system now' and press the Menu key.
14) You're done! Congratulations, you have now shown LG that they suck at patching root methods!

Part 4: If you wish to simply update to the VD radio and run a custom ROM (drellisdee's Custom Recovery)
Now that you have drellisdee's Custom Recovery installed and your device updated to LS670ZVD, it's time to install a custom ROM.

1) Download either ThundeROM, nROM or the Scott Pilgrim Awesomeness CM7 build. Lego ROM will also work, but has way too many variables to be officially supported by this guide.
2) Reboot to recovery mode by opening a Windows command prompt and executing:
adb reboot recovery
3) Using the Volume-up/Volume-down keys, select 'USB-MS toggle' and press the Menu key twice. A new removable disk drive will be added by Windows.
4) Take that ROM you downloaded earlier (along with all of the extra required ZIP files depending on the ROM) and copy all relevant ZIP files to your device.
5) When the ZIP files finish copying, press the Menu key on your device to unmount USB storage.
6) Press the Back key once.
7) Using the Volume-up/Volume-down keys, select 'Flash zip menu' and press the Menu key.
8) Press the Menu key once more.
9) Navigate to the ROM files you downloaded previously, and press the Menu key to begin the flashing process. Make sure you flash the ZIP files in order. The correct order can be found in the ROM's respective thread.
10) Press the Back key until you have reached the main recovery screen.
11) Using the Volume-up/Volume-down keys, select 'Wipe' and press the Menu key.
12) Press the Menu key again to wipe user data and start with a clean slate.
13) Press the Back key until you have reached the main recovery screen.
14) Using the Volume-up/Volume-down keys, select 'Reboot system now' and press the Menu key.
15) You're done! Congratulations, you have now shown LG that they suck at patching root methods!

Part 5: If you wish to run the stock VD software but also have root access (Xionia Clockwork Recovery)
Now that you have Xionia Clockwork Recovery, let's gain some root access.
Alternatively, you can follow Part 7 and get root access by simply flashing a ZIP file in recovery mode.

1) Reboot to recovery mode by opening a Windows command prompt and executing:
adb reboot recovery
2) Using the Volume-up/Volume-down keys, select 'mounts and storage' and press the Menu key.
3) Using the Volume-up/Volume-down keys, select 'mount USB storage' and press the Menu key. A new removable disk drive will be added by Windows.
4) Copy ALL files from the attached ZIP file (OptimusRootVD.zip) to your device. Don't copy the zip file, copy the contents.
5) Open a Windows command prompt and execute the following command
adb shell
6) Mount the /system partition by executing the following command
mount /system
7) Mount the /sdcard partition by executing the following command
mount /sdcard
8) Execute the following commands exactly as they're written
cat /sdcard/busybox > /system/bin/busybox
cat /sdcard/su > /system/bin/su
cat /sdcard/Superuser.apk > /system/app/Superuser.apk
9) Execute the following commands exactly as they're written
chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
10) Press the Menu key on your device to reboot.
11) You're done! Congratulations, you have now shown LG that they suck at patching root methods!

Part 6: If you wish to run the stock VD software but also have root access (drellisdee's Custom Recovery)
Now that you have drellisdee's Custom Recovery, let's gain some root access.
Alternatively, you can follow Part 8 and get root access by simply flashing a ZIP file in recovery mode.

adb reboot recovery
2) Using the Volume-up/Volume-down keys, select 'USB-MS toggle' and press the Menu key twice. A new removable disk drive will be added by Windows.
3) Copy ALL files from the attached ZIP file (OptimusRootVD.zip) to your device. Don't copy the zip file, copy the contents.
4) Open a Windows command prompt and execute the following command
adb shell
5) Mount the /system partition by executing the following command
mount /system
6) Mount the /sdcard partition by executing the following command
mount /sdcard
7) Execute the following commands exactly as they're written
8) Execute the following commands exactly as they're written
chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
9) Press the Menu key on your device to reboot.
10) You're done! Congratulations, you have now shown LG that they suck at patching root methods!

Part 7: Rooting using FlashRootVD-signed.zip (Xionia Clockwork Recovery)
adb reboot recovery
2) Using the Volume-up/Volume-down keys, select 'mounts and storage' and press the Menu key.
3) Using the Volume-up/Volume-down keys, select 'mount USB storage' and press the Menu key. A new removable disk drive will be added by Windows.
4) Copy the attached FlashRootVD.zip to your device
5) Using the Volume-up/Volume-down keys, select "install zip from sdcard" and press the Menu key.
6) Using the Volume-up/Volume-down keys, select "choose zip from sdcard" and press the Menu key.
7) Using the Volume-up/Volume-down keys, select "FlashRootVD-signed.zip" and press the Menu key.
8) Using the Volume-up/Volume-down keys, select the option containing the word "Yes" and press the Menu key.
9) After the flashing completes, press the Back key until you reach the main recovery screen.
10) Using the Volume-up/Volume-down keys, select "reboot system now" and press the Menu key.
11) You're done! Congratulations, you have now shown LG that they suck at patching root methods!

Part 8: Rooting using FlashRootVD-signed.zip (drellisdee's Custom Recovery)
adb reboot recovery
2) Using the Volume-up/Volume-down keys, select 'USB-MS toggle' and press the Menu key twice. A new removable disk drive will be added by Windows.
3) Create a new folder on the sdcard and copy the attached FlashRootVD.zip to that folder
4) Using the Volume-up/Volume-down keys, select "Flash zip menu" and press the Menu key.
5) Using the Volume-up/Volume-down keys, select "Flash zip from Sdcard" and press the Menu key.
6) Using the Volume-up/Volume-down keys, select the folder you created earlier and press the Menu key.
7) Using the Volume-up/Volume-down keys, select "FlashRootVD-signed.zip" and press the Menu key.
8) Press the Menu key to begin the flashing process.
9) After the flashing completes, press the Back key until you reach the main recovery screen.
10) Using the Volume-up/Volume-down keys, select "Reboot system now" and press the Menu key.

Part 9: Extra Notes

1) Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this guide qualifies for Android Central's non-existent "Longest Rooting Guide Ever" award.
2) Without the Extra Notes, this guide is approximately 15,000 characters long and contains nearly 2,000 words.
3) The flashable ZIP was a pain in the arse to figure out, so you better hit that Thanks button if you use it.
4) When I think of more random bits of info, I'll put them here.

Last edited by a moderator:

mark.t

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
i just got a new phone from sprint because my first one got stuck at lg boot screen. I check my phone and it already had v9 on it. so which step to i use? 1 or 2?

808rides

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Drew!! Love when you go to dinner and comeback to the forums and your problems are solved! Thanks to you and all (read:everyone) smarter than me :)

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
From a naming standpoint, this is may lead to funny questions like:

Q: "Did you get VD?"
A: "That is kind of personal"

Q: "Did you get VD OTA?"
A: "I didn't know you could get it that way"

Reactions: Dorion-Grey

zman519

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

ROFL yep LOL :D i was totally thinking that some one was going to say that as i typed "VD" before :D

My GF was *****ing about her phone hanging and stuff on the LG screen So i said i would take a look at it and the forums, then i saw this ZVD thread and was going to update the phone with this rooting VD guide

Phones running VC rooted. WiFi tether is a must on her phone.

Jaeli

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site

Yeah they clearly didn't think this one through. I was explaining this whole thing to my fiance and every time I said "VD" he'd giggle

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I have rooted VC, so I fall in to category 2, but I'm running ThundeROM 1.7. It's probably best to get back to stock ROM before using LG Updater to go to VD, right? Or can LG Updater tool update when using a custom ROM?

Sarcoptic

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I was running VC on NROM...went to stock rom, update to VD...and followed instructions in category 2. All is well back on NROM running VD...here is the exact adb commands I used...note I had to mount my sdcard before I cat the files over:

mount /system
mount /sdcard

cd /system/bin
/system/bin/chmod 4755 su
/system/bin/chmod 4755 busybox

reboot

lichan

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Once you cd to /system/bin you might get by with (if your on the terminal emulator to save keying)

chmod 4755 su
chmod 4755 busybox

kazea182

Jan 2, 2011
www.sxcomputers.net
What sucks is that I have a refurb phone which has V9, so I'm assuming that we need to force flash this using KP500. Does anyone have the VD .cab so we can force flash? Because the LG Updater believes that I have the most up to date software running. I am using the V9 version for nROM at the current moment and that is what the tool states...

pitmasterme

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
followed instructions in step 2( was running nROM 1.5.2_fixed/cwm recovery....v9) moved su busybox and superuser.apk to sd card.....go to cmd, run adb, type in "mount/system" and get

/sbin/sh: mount/system: not found
~#

HELP??????

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
followed instructions in step 2( was running nROM 1.5.2_fixed/cwm recovery....v9) moved su busybox and superuser.apk to sd card.....go to cmd, run adb, type in "mount/system" and get

~#

HELP??????

You forgot the space between "mount" and "/system". That's why I say you need to READ the ENTIRE guide BEFORE using it (it says so in the Big Fat Disclaimer).

mercrapper

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

~#

HELP??????

mount /system
You missed a space between "mount" and "/system"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21