[How-To] Simplified UNROOT and return to STOCK

alynahsmom

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
if Xionia recovery 12518.6 and higher does not have brick issue, if I do only ##786# reset, will that unroot and restore to original factory settings, or do I still need to go through all the steps?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
if Xionia recovery 12518.6 and higher does not have brick issue, if I do only ##786# reset, will that unroot and restore to original factory settings, or do I still need to go through all the steps?
##786# won't reset root, it doesn't touch /system, only /data and nvram, therefore root would remain

donnasess

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Forgive me in advance if I'm re-asking a question that's already been posted (a lot of info in this thread)...but, will any of these steps, including the possibility of having to use any of the links for other steps, wipe the sd card? I'll probably make a backup of it just to be safe, but was just wondering.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
sdcard is not wiped. I've run through these scenarios hundreds of times and never had the sdcard get wiped by accident, but it is always best to keep an archive somewhere off the phone. sdcards can fail too.

The instructions seem lengthy but they aren't so bad if you just read the highlights for the sections. I wrote it out in minute detail because at some point people were doing some of the steps "blind" because they had the wrong kernel which didn't have the LCD drivers for their screen.

donnasess

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Awesome. I didn't have too many problems rooting it (ended up having to copy/paste some of the lines to be sure the correct spaces were used), but I do appreciate detailed instructions. I will be un-rooting a couple of phones for resale (private, not back to the store). Any suggestions or comments other than just following these steps? Also, the phones are originally ZVD builds.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Just do a ##786# reset when the flash is done.

ZVD is the best version to leave phones on when you resell them. It has the fewest issues and is pretty solid. ZVH can work well also, but there are more gotchas where the buyer may feel you gave them a lemon if they aren't well versed in ZVH-lore.

donnasess

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
You are heaven sent!! :eek:) I'm in contact w/sprint now to get the service code. Yes, this was a very simple process and I will be doing it again to my other phone in just a few minutes. Thank you again for your instructions and responses. I guess it's ok to delete the files off the sdcard that were needed for this process? The card is being used in another phone now (Samsung Galaxy).

Oh, note to self: next time, remember to turn off usb storage after copying files to sdcard. Duh! lol

Last edited:

donnasess

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Make sure to keep a record of those numbers, they may be handy down the road

Definitely! Now, if I can only get someone on the phone who knows what they're doing. I asked for the service code, they gave me a few that didn't work (including 0000 or the last 4 of the cell # it was used for). I was told to try the factory data reset found under the privacy settings, which didn't do what I wanted it to do (the previous phone # is still showing up). So, now I'm being "escalated" to a higher power! lol

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Tell them that you downgraded from the gingerbread update, but now your data doesnt work. You saw online that you needed to do a ##786# reset to fix it, but it asks for a code. Make sure it is a 6 digit number and you are set !

donnasess

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
They ended up creating a work order for me to take it to a store and let them do whatever to it that I can't just by entering a code. I told him I already had the 786 and just needed the service code, but he couldn't come up with a code that worked. He even had me do the hard reboot (holding down the pwr/vol dwn/home keys). He was surprised to hear I was 'smart enough' to have already tried that. hehehe Supposedly, some phones have certain ways of resetting and the optimus is one of them. The store may be able to plug it up, locate some # off the phone and come up with the correct service code that way. I'll be sure to talk to the tech there and find out what the # is and see if I can use it on my other optimuses (sp?).

Otherwise, the phone is un-rooted and pretty much back to stock. Just trying to get the old phone # out of the status and off the MIN.

Last edited:

donnasess

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
On another note, I'm about to unroot the phone I'm currently using, mainly b/c I need to free up memory/space on the phone itself. Once I've unrooted it, is it ok to delete the apps used for rooting (i.e.superuser)? And, should I delete the files from the sdcard used in the rooting/unrooting processes?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I guess it's ok to delete the files off the sdcard that were needed for this process? The card is being used in another phone now (Samsung Galaxy).
Yes, you can delete the files. They are kept there so in the case you are actually using the phone, you can swap between stock and xionia (using android terminal) without needing a PC.

Reactions: donnasess

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
They ended up creating a work order for me to take it to a store and let them do whatever to it that I can't just by entering a code. I told him I already had the 786 and just needed the service code, but he couldn't come up with a code that worked. He even had me do the hard reboot (holding down the pwr/vol dwn/home keys). He was surprised to hear I was 'smart enough' to have already tried that. hehehe Supposedly, some phones have certain ways of resetting and the optimus is one of them. The store may be able to plug it up, locate some # off the phone and come up with the correct service code that way. I'll be sure to talk to the tech there and find out what the # is and see if I can use it on my other optimuses (sp?).

Otherwise, the phone is un-rooted and pretty much back to stock. Just trying to get the old phone # out of the status and off the MIN.
Did you purchase this particular phone directly from Sprint?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
On another note, I'm about to unroot the phone I'm currently using, mainly b/c I need to free up memory/space on the phone itself. Once I've unrooted it, is it ok to delete the apps used for rooting (i.e.superuser)? And, should I delete the files from the sdcard used in the rooting/unrooting processes?
Usually the "unroot" procedure will get rid of the ones in that were installed on the ROM, though I can't speak for every procedure.

If you rooted and unrooted using the stickied post, unrooting will automatically get rid of the files that were installed on the ROM.

The files on the sdcard you can definitely remove. They are there just for the install and future flexibility in switching components.

donnasess

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Did you purchase this particular phone directly from Sprint?

Yes I did.

sfhub said:
Usually the "unroot" procedure will get rid of the ones in that were installed on the ROM, though I can't speak for every procedure.

If you rooted and unrooted using the stickied post, unrooting will automatically get rid of the files that were installed on the ROM.

I was speaking more on the lines of apps, such as superuser, titanium backup, and I believe super tool is another rooted app. But, I guess it makes sense it's ok to delete them if I won't be re-rooting it again once it's been unrooted.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes I did.
This is what I would do:

Call Sprint, asked to be transfered to tech support. Tell them after some update you are having issues with your data login. They suggested you do a ##786# reset but now it is asking you for some code and you are stuck. You don't want to go to the Sprint store because you need to be at work and the line is long.

I know you did it before, but try it again. Also try during normal working hours if you didn't before. It is a 6-digit #, not a 4-digit code. If you get the right person, they should just look up your MEID from the phone attached to your account and their tool will give them the MSL on the screen. Now if your phone isn't active, then it might be slightly more work.

If that fails there are other options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar