zvc lag, Roms , roots and questions

eracet

Mar 7, 2011
www.evolutiongamer.net
I have been looking and threads for a while and figuring out what to do about some of the issues I have been having since the wonderful Sprint update....

But since I have many questions I have been unable to find would post a thread about it.

Phone was working great until.. Sprint updates my phone, kills my root VIA Z4root.
Since then every application and phone in general is very slow. this is the 2nd optimus phone in my household and one was never rooted and still has terrible lag.
I started using ADW launcher to see if it helped( just something to try) and didnt make a difference.
So now wondering about if some of the ROMs will make a difference like thunderom.
The only thing I am unsure about is do I need to go through the lengthy process of re-rooting.
Another is what happens with data, such as contacts, logs, other data that is stored on the phone.

I am sure I will have more questions I am not thinking of atm, but any help with anything will be appreciated

timkaetzel

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have been looking and threads for a while and figuring out what to do about some of the issues I have been having since the wonderful Sprint update....

But since I have many questions I have been unable to find would post a thread about it.

Phone was working great until.. Sprint updates my phone, kills my root VIA Z4root.
Since then every application and phone in general is very slow. this is the 2nd optimus phone in my household and one was never rooted and still has terrible lag.
I started using ADW launcher to see if it helped( just something to try) and didnt make a difference.
So now wondering about if some of the ROMs will make a difference like thunderom.
The only thing I am unsure about is do I need to go through the lengthy process of re-rooting.
Another is what happens with data, such as contacts, logs, other data that is stored on the phone.

I am sure I will have more questions I am not thinking of atm, but any help with anything will be appreciated

Did you accept the OTA pushed update? If so... I'm sorry to hear. There are guides to fix it, but it's going to take a bit more work than z4root did. ;)

That being said, the VC baseband update itself shouldn't affect your phone's speed.

edit: http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...alling-ota-ls670vc-using-kp500-diag-mode.html

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
As mentioned, the root problem, you need to revert.

For the speed problem, you should try wiping data/cache/dalvik and reinstalling apps. Wiping cache/dalvik might be good enough but if not do both data/cache/dalvik. Wiping data will cause you to lose whatever apps you have installed so backup anything important.

eracet

Mar 7, 2011
www.evolutiongamer.net
I wiped cache and that seemed to make a difference in speed. lag is a lot less.

I did do the OTA pushed update unfortunately, as well as seen fixes for it.
What does loading a different rom do, I have been looking at that for a while, but unsure.

Also does doing a revert do anything to the data?

sonicbluemustang

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Reverting to v9 will not change your data, but will remove existing rom. A different rom is like a different set of windows imo.
You can only root a V9 with Z4root. :)
Most custom roms are already rooted. :)

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
so am I better off loading a new ROM or doing a root on the existing rom after rollback process.
Can I do a different rom without doing a rollback. ?
To load a new *custom* (vs stock) ROM you need to install a custom recovery.
To install a custom recovery you need to be rooted.

You are on version ZVD right now.

You cannot root ZVD if it was installed via OTA update.

You need to revert to ZV9 before you can root. By reverting to ZV9 you have overwritten your *stock* ZVD ROM with *stock* ZV9 ROM.

After you revert to ZV9 and install CWMA recovery, you can choose to run stock ZVD (update using LG Software Updater) or flash a custom ROM, just do ThundeROM 1.8 for now, until you figure out what you want in a ROM.

If you run stock ZVD, to get permanent root, you should do part 7 of this thread:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...-guide-rooting-software-version-ls670zvd.html

eracet

Mar 7, 2011
www.evolutiongamer.net
I recieved a notification to do a update on my phone from VC to VD.
I declined but wondering what I should do to move forward instead of backwards.

Do I do the update VIA LG updater or install what sprint gives me?
Or root then install VD

I have the ZVC update running atm

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I recieved a notification to do a update on my phone from VC to VD.
I declined but wondering what I should do to move forward instead of backwards.

Do I do the update VIA LG updater or install what sprint gives me?
Or root then install VD

I have the ZVC update running atm
If you don't care about root and are running stock Android and stock Recovery, you can just run the OTA update.

However most people in this forum care about root (and possibly custom ROMs)

In that case if you are on VC the procedure to root is really the same as if you were on VD (if ignoring new LCD hardware and refurb MEID issues). In both cases, you need to revert to V9 first, root that, install CWMA custom recovery, then use LG Software Updater to upgrade to VD.

When people tell you not to accept the OTA update, they are making some combination of the following assumptions
1) you are on V9 which can be rooted relatively simply
2) you are already rooted on any version
3) you are running a custom ROM

Accepting the OTA update has negative impacts on those people because it could disable root and make their system unrootable.

Now if you are already on stock VC and not rooted, all accepting the VD OTA update does is have you mentally adjust whenever you see VD in the VD rooting instructions, substitute VC. You end up installing VD twice, once as part of OTA, and another after you revert to V9, root, install CWMA recovery, and go back to VD using LG Software Updater.

So my suggestion for minimal steps (assuming you want to end up at VD) is to follow the rooting guide right now. In the process you'll get upgraded to VD.

eracet

Mar 7, 2011
www.evolutiongamer.net
ok I have V9 up but wondering if it just root it there what will happen will sprint keep pushing updates or am I better off stopping there

Everything worked fine with V9, dont really know what the differences are with VC/VD

Also wondering about data when loading custom rom

It also seems to have issues rooting with superoneclick, or z4root.
Not sure why.

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
ok I have V9 up but wondering if it just root it there what will happen will sprint keep pushing updates or am I better off stopping there

Everything worked fine with V9, dont really know what the differences are with VC/VD

Also wondering about data when loading custom rom

If you want stock, V9 is fine. VC fixes the sd card issue some people have and adds drivers for the new LCD (which you obviously don't have). It also does more to kill root and some people were getting boot loops. VD lets you exit Sprint ID and use the phone without activating, breaks builtin wireless hotspot, and seems to resolve VC bootloop issues.

data works with a custom ROM. What else do you need to know? :)

eracet

Mar 7, 2011
www.evolutiongamer.net
I may try a few different roms such as thunderom , but for some reason it is not letting me re-root.
I used z4root before and tried superoneclick as well , none seem to want to take.

Tried restarts and reboots as well.
Did root checker, and when it said I had busybox installed when I was running VC now it says it is not.
Downloaded and re-installed super user and busybox from android market to see if that helped but it was all a no go.

Tried unrooting with superoneclick and it said I had a temporary root on the phone , needs reboot, even though no root is active.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It is on version 9 . Already did bring it from vd to v9
You need to
1) force flash V9
2) root and install CWMA recovery
3) use LG Mobile Update update to upgrade to VD

At that point, you will *not* have permanent root. You will however be set up to successfully complete the ZVD rooting instructions. You'll have CWMA recovery with stock ZVD.

eracet

Mar 7, 2011
www.evolutiongamer.net
You need to
1) force flash V9
2) root and install CWMA recovery
3) use LG Mobile Update update to upgrade to VD

At that point, you will *not* have permanent root. You will however be set up to successfully complete the ZVD rooting instructions. You'll have CWMA recovery with stock ZVD.

The problem is I cannot even get a temp root atm.
I can try to do a cwma recovery but there it no indication that there is a root.
Temp or permanent.
Already did the force flash to V9

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The problem is I cannot even get a temp root atm.
I can try to do a cwma recovery but there it no indication that there is a root.
Temp or permanent.
Already did the force flash to V9
If your settings->about phone says SW Version LS670ZV9 then you can use z4root.apk to get root. It should be just one-click. Then install CWMA recovery.

eracet

Mar 7, 2011
www.evolutiongamer.net
yes I tried that and superoneclick, tried both methods.
Z4root just sits on load screen forever and superoneclick tells me that it has a temp root already says to reboot.
root check says no root is active and busybox is not active,
Installed busybox VIA android market but when checking VIA rootcheck, says it isnt installed.

I had the phone rooted before the VC and VD updates

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
yes I tried that and superoneclick, tried both methods.
Z4root just sits on load screen forever and superoneclick tells me that it has a temp root already says to reboot.
root check says no root is active and busybox is not active,
Installed busybox VIA android market but when checking VIA rootcheck, says it isnt installed.

I had the phone rooted before the VC and VD updates
You didn't specify whether you verified your phone was running ZV9.

Look at settings->about phone.

Your symptoms sound like you are still on VC or VD.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084