force flashed zvc, now can't get root

anon(92556)

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
so...i upgraded to zvd from the lg tool, and after about 2 hours, force flashed zvc per the instructions on the force flash post. now, no matter what i try, i can't get zvc to root. i've tried the optimus s control center, and a manual root per the vc root thread, and neither one works.

i get an error tellig me "operation not permitted" when trying to chmod the rageagainstthecage file, and never do get to the # prompt instead of $. Anyone have any ideas of what i'm doing wrong?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You did figure it out. ZVC can't be rooted. ZV9 is the one you want to get root. BTW the force flash directions tell you to flash ZV9.

Last edited:

64fairlane

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't get ZV9 to root with LG Optimus Control Center (maybe you already knew this). I had to use z4root to root ZV9 then I proceeded to upgrade to ZVD.

I upgraded to ZVD following the instructions HERE. It went very smoothly. I installed drellisdee's Custom Recovery, then followed instructions in part 8.

Last edited:

anon(92556)

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
yup...friggin newb :) lol back to v9, and worked perfect. force flashing zvc now, should be able to root hopefully. now to find a tethering app that will give me infrastructure access instead of ad hoc, so i can go to zvd

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
yup...friggin newb :) lol back to v9, and worked perfect. force flashing zvc now, should be able to root hopefully. now to find a tethering app that will give me infrastructure access instead of ad hoc, so i can go to zvd
On ZVC the builtin portable hotspot gives infrastructure if you use the hotspot widget.

FreddyFredFred

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Everyone seems to miss that step. I've been looking through all the tutorials and I don't seem to see that step?? I think it needs to be bolded and colored red!! hehe

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Everyone seems to miss that step. I've been looking through all the tutorials and I don't seem to see that step?? I think it needs to be bolded and colored red!! hehe
The revert instructions tell you to flash Xionia CWMA recovery (rather than stock V9 recovery). It has been that way since VD came out.

anon(92556)

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
v9 is rooted...but when going to adb shell from command prompt, i still have $ instead of #. so...of course i can't flash the v9 recovery now.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
The revert instructions tell you to flash Xionia CWMA recovery (rather than stock V9 recovery). It has been that way since VD came out.

That's a good point. Also to save some time, use the flashable ZIP included in the VD rooting guide once you are updated to VD (or VC for that matter) with a custom recovery kernel.

anon(92556)

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
tried xionia recovery, can't get rageagainstthecage to run. says the file isn't there...keeps trying to run it from /sbin/sh instead of /sdcard. i'm going back to v9 now, and gonna flash the v9 recovery to see if that makes any difference

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
tried xionia recovery, can't get rageagainstthecage to run. says the file isn't there...keeps trying to run it from /sbin/sh instead of /sdcard. i'm going back to v9 now, and gonna flash the v9 recovery to see if that makes any difference
Don't do that. It is just more work.

If you have Xionia CWMA recovery running, just flash the zip file that Drew mentioned earlier.

FlashRootVD-signed.zip

anon(92556)

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
trying to gain root access in zvc. flashed xionia recovery instead of v9 to see if that would get me anywhere. now i'm back in v9 rom, got root access, and can't even get v9 recovery to install. when i reboot recovery, it still takes me to xionia.

i can't for the life of me get back to zvc with root access LOL