04-09-2011 12:43 PM
31 12
tools
    I have a LG Optimus s, Yesterday i wanted to try rooting it, so i tried using http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-o...s-edition.html

After 30 attempts this wouldnt work and I figured out why- i had the OTA update from sprint. I found the revert thread and reverted back to v9, and attempted rooting again. I still had no luck so I used z4 root which came back successful. I proceeded to install ROM Manager and attempted flashing clockwork onto my phone because that was the only other way i could think of doing it without root access from my pc. (im a noob at this) It said it was successful but when i try to boot into recovery from either ROM Manager or from the 3 finger salute it either gets stuck on lg screen or just a black screen, i cannot access the recovery mode at all. I cannot get root now, and i cannot access recovery mode to flash any roms or anything. Is there a hard reset somewhere on the device that i can access without recovery mode that will fix this problem? Help?

Thanks all, Braden
    03-21-2011 05:15 PM
    You'll probably make things worse trying to reset it. No reset will by itself fix what you did to the phone.

If you can still boot into ZV9, use z4root to get root again then flash CWMA recovery.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-o...-2518-6-a.html
    erest likes this.
    03-21-2011 05:37 PM
    Note: ROM Manager does not work with the Optimus S.
    erest likes this.
    03-21-2011 06:29 PM
    Thanks guys i finally figured it out- i didnt realize when i used z4 root or superoneclick(which also works btw) i had to type "su" into the android terminal. I did that then followed the guide above and downloaded xionia to sd then used the android terminal (download from marketplace) and voila! It worked! Thanks all time to start flashing a custom rom xD
    03-21-2011 11:44 PM
    Ive tried all this and i am still getting stuck on lg splash. Frustrated helpppp. Ive got zv9. Rooted via z4
    04-08-2011 12:04 AM
    Did you install CWMA recovery?
    04-08-2011 12:09 AM
    Yes, it is on sd in root image also
    04-08-2011 12:19 AM
    Its on the SD, but did you install it?
    04-08-2011 12:31 AM
    cant find it on sd card now, and im not sure if i installed or not went through terminal process is this correct, im lost
    04-08-2011 12:38 AM
    to test it, can you boot the phone into recovery?
    04-08-2011 12:41 AM
    Cant get into recovery just lg splash
    04-08-2011 12:43 AM
    Just a blank screen
    04-08-2011 01:01 AM
    I just get a blank screen
    04-08-2011 01:11 AM
    Can you tell us which instructions you followed and what step you are at? It is really hard to follow what you've done.

I think you can just install Android Screencast and you'll be able to see your screen on your PC for rooting purposes, but I can't really tell for sure because I can't figure out what you did earlier.
    04-08-2011 01:54 AM
    Ive got root via z4, ive saved flash image, and recovery image to sd card, and ive followedthe instructions found, http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-o...-2518-6-a.html
    04-08-2011 02:17 AM
    Well I did all the steps my first time with out messing up in side a mcdonalds. 2 months ago in adb. I dont think you flash can a recov without adb, remember what the directions say "dont be lazy"

I am not bragging, I am just showing how mobile our hacking has become

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
    04-08-2011 02:20 AM
    Ive got root via z4, ive saved flash image, and recovery image to sd card, and ive followedthe instructions found, http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-o...-2518-6-a.html
    Was each step in the Xionia thread successful?

If so, when you type

adb reboot recovery
    in your DOS command prompt, does it reboot to CWMA recovery and display something on your screen?

If it doesn't you are going to need to go back and run each step of the CWMA thread and tell us the output of the commands so we can see which step went wrong.
    04-08-2011 02:21 AM
    Using android terminal, reboot recovery freezes at lg screen.
    04-08-2011 05:37 AM
    Use an ADB (android debuging bridge) connection

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
    04-08-2011 09:26 AM
    Using android terminal, reboot recovery freezes at lg screen.
    It freezes at LG screen or you get a blank screen? These are two entirely different results.
    04-08-2011 10:35 AM
    If i reboot in terminal lg splash, and if reboot using 3 keys i get a blank screen
    04-08-2011 11:50 AM
    When i read the title of this thread it makes me want to say "Ok, let's backtrack. Where is the last place you remember having it?"

Anyway, here are the steps from beginning to end on how to root, flash a custom recovery, make a backup, and flash a ROM all without a PC. - http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-o...-computer.html

These work on V9 which i think i read you say you have v9 rooted with z4?
    04-08-2011 12:00 PM
    If i reboot in terminal lg splash, and if reboot using 3 keys i get a blank screen
    So your Android boots right? Why don't you go through every step in the CWMA recovery thread and post the output here. Also which version of CWMA recovery are you using?
    twins897 likes this.
    04-08-2011 12:06 PM
    So your Android boots right? Why don't you go through every step in the CWMA recovery thread and post the output here.
    I'm 100% speculating here but it almost sounds like the person did the part where they rename the stock recovery to .bak but never pushed the custom recovery or something went wrong or a mistake was made while typing or on and on. Basically, it sounds like theres no recovery kernel right now.
    04-08-2011 12:08 PM
    I'm 100% speculating here but it almost sounds like the person did the part where they rename the stock recovery to .bak but never pushed the custom recovery or something went wrong or a mistake was made while typing or on and on. Basically, it sounds like theres no recovery kernel right now.
    Certainly possible.

A lot is being left unsaid though and I can't pinpoint for sure what was done, what was done, but with error messages, what was skipped, etc., especially when piggybacking on another thread that was equally not that forthcoming with information.
    04-08-2011 12:12 PM
31 12