Simple overclocked Android kernel for Optimus S

Status
Not open for further replies.

rc28a

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
If you?re looking to give your Sprint Optimus S a speed boost, I?ve got a kernel for you, compiled from official LG source code, that adds overclocking and removes unneeded debugging features for a leaner, meaner kernel.

The basic idea behind this kernel build is ?stable performance? ? other devs are doing a great job backporting the latest features from the mainline Android kernel and writing experimental patches. My goal is a lot less ambitious, but also less bleeding-edge: Build a kernel from official source, one that ?just works? for me the user, but boost performance to get the most from the hardware.

I?ve also included the Linux TUN/TAP driver as a module, so that (among other things) you can use OpenVPN with your Optimus, if you like. Need some other module? Ask!
Features

Uses current (2.6.32.9 Linux kernel for Optimus S with VD baseband) LG source code for simplicity and maximum compatibility. See ?design goals,? below.
CPU frequency scaling beyond 600 MHz (i.e. overclocking). By default, I?ve upped the maximum clock speed to 748 MHz, but you can enable higher speeds (and test them) using trusty SetCPU. At 748 MHz, SetCPU benchmarks run 20% faster.
Removed a lot of unneeded debugging/development features, such as Ethernet, IPVS and highmem support, kernel debugging, debugfs etc. The end result is a kernel that?s 260K smaller than LG?s (2.3M vs. 2.6M).
Minor performance tweaks (TREE_PREEMPT_RCU etc.).
tun.ko compiled as a module, since I use it for OpenVPN. Future releases can include additional drivers as modules, if there?s interest.

Overclock Android kernel for Sprint Optimus S | lyncd.com

Reactions: Robchaos_

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I like your concept a lot.

Is there a place to see the diffs from stock LG ZVD source, including the build configuration?

Reactions: jmb1317

picasticks

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
hello world

project author checking in here ... thanks a lot to block944 for spreading the word about my kernel, and thanks to everybody for your interest!

I saw the incoming hits to my blog from androidcentral and went, uh oh, I've been discovered! Shoulda posted here sooner, but I spent last night backporting the interactive CPUFreq governor instead, and once it was clear it was going to work no problems, thought I'd include it before going (more) public. Anyway, I've top-posted a new thread for the kernel:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...-oc-kernel-lg-source-2-6-32-9-picasticks.html

There's some extra info, in particular about enabling the interactive governor which should take care of UI responsiveness issues. Please post feedback and any bug reports there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakhikumari800000