hd video recording?

joshb2118

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I just saw that the iphone 3gs, not iphone 4, can record 720p, i know its a hack that is done by changing the systen files, is there a way to record 720p on a optimus s? I kno they are different but, i think it could be done cuz, Technically the optimus s is faster, has a better screen n camera, it probably cant be done in a app, but any chance it could be done on a ROM, thats all i would ask for this tiny beast...

joshb2118

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Im waiting for someone to bust my bubble, there has to be a file that specifically enables the current resolution, maybe thru adb, or root explorer or something, just poppin out ideas for the people who know about that stuff...

og_president

Banned
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Im waiting for someone to bust my bubble, there has to be a file that specifically enables the current resolution, maybe thru adb, or root explorer or something, just poppin out ideas for the people who know about that stuff...

If you find the file ( I've looked) let me put my hands on it.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

gk1984

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
When I was on the Samsung Moment, there was an update that really killed the camera's quality... the devs managed to find where to adjust the bitrates and what not - I wanna say resolution was there as well but I could be mistaken (it's been so long...) But I wanna say that was all in the build.prop? The forum I was on for all that was sdx-developers.com, maybe someone can find leads there.

joshb2118

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I doubt its in the camera app, because then it wpyld just be n app, n we could just get the evos camera app, it has to be in the system files...

gk1984

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
As I mentioned before, a related issue was tackled with the Samsung Moment about a year ago. The devs at SDX-Developers.com managed to improve bitrates and framerates by editing the build.prop. I know those variables don't necessarily make a video HD so much as the resolution, but perhaps resolution parameters are located nearby.

Source for bitrates/framerates:
new video fix ( build.prop modded only)

Also I want to note that this info pertains to Android 2.1, I'm not sure how much has changed between versions with this info.

og_president

Banned
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
As I mentioned before, a related issue was tackled with the Samsung Moment about a year ago. The devs at SDX-Developers.com managed to improve bitrates and framerates by editing the build.prop. I know those variables don't necessarily make a video HD so much as the resolution, but perhaps resolution parameters are located nearby.

Source for bitrates/framerates:
new video fix ( build.prop modded only)

Also I want to note that this info pertains to Android 2.1, I'm not sure how much has changed between versions with this info.

Thats amazing, I hope we get some development on this

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

joshb2118

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
if we could then i think all android phones that are capable of handling could, it has to be around there, its not like the camera lens knows exactly the limits, it has to be there, we just need a dev or dev team to find it and tweak it, it probably isnt that complicated as it sounds,...

farfromuman

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I just saw that the iphone 3gs, not iphone 4, can record 720p, i know its a hack that is done by changing the systen files, is there a way to record 720p on a optimus s? I kno they are different but, i think it could be done cuz, Technically the optimus s is faster, has a better screen n camera, it probably cant be done in a app, but any chance it could be done on a ROM, thats all i would ask for this tiny beast...

Just some facts for perspective:

Iphone 3GS - 833 MHz (underclocked to 600 MHz) ARM Cortex-A8
Same CPU (lower Mhz) and GPU as Iphone 4 (The A4 chip is a repackage of the A8 + GPU)

The CPU in the Optimus is more like the original Iphone, Iphone 3G and a lot of the lower end Android phones. Nexus one has a 1Ghz Snapdragon so it can handle 720p.

Screen: 3.5" Iphone vs 3.2" on Optimus S

The only things that are similar are the cameras but that is not the limiting factor.

lokoz21

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Just some facts for perspective:

Iphone 3GS - 833 MHz (underclocked to 600 MHz) ARM Cortex-A8
Same CPU (lower Mhz) and GPU as Iphone 4 (The A4 chip is a repackage of the A8 + GPU)

The CPU in the Optimus is more like the original Iphone, Iphone 3G and a lot of the lower end Android phones. Nexus one has a 1Ghz Snapdragon so it can handle 720p.

Screen: 3.5" Iphone vs 3.2" on Optimus S

The only things that are similar are the cameras but that is not the limiting factor.

theres something called overclocking the optimus and i can run it at 825 MHz stable.

joshb2118

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
First, screen size doesnt matter, same resolution, if its underclocked to 600 mhz, then its the same,...u cant overclock a iphone (atleast that i know of),...

farfromuman

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
First, screen size doesnt matter, same resolution, if its underclocked to 600 mhz, then its the same,...u cant overclock a iphone (atleast that i know of),...

Clock speed does not make much difference when chip architectures are different. I only mentioned the screen size since in your original post you said that the Optimus had better specs in this regard.

apinkel

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I believe some folks started researching this shortly after the optimus s was released and it was determined that the chipset and or the camera sensor do not support 720p resolutions.

I'm not trying to stop you guys from researching this but you may want to start by digging into the capabilities of the chipset/camera sensor before you spend too much time on this.

joshb2118

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
the screen is technically better be cause it has a higher ppi, but the trade off is that it has a smaller screen, and well the optimus can, if you get lgcamera off the market, you can view the 1280*720 in videocam mode, but you cant record, it has to be something in the system files that is telling the camera its limit, kinda like the iphone 3gs,...the only thing is to find it and find a dev willing to work on it, because im a noob and dont know about that stuff, im just making it a idea, for a dev that knows their stuff, its possible...

gk1984

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I believe some folks started researching this shortly after the optimus s was released and it was determined that the chipset and or the camera sensor do not support 720p resolutions.

I'm not trying to stop you guys from researching this but you may want to start by digging into the capabilities of the chipset/camera sensor before you spend too much time on this.

You have a point. The resolution in the camera sensor is definitely there, I'd have to double check the exact figures but HD video is only just over 1megapixel (i think) and the Optimus has what, a 3 megapixel camera? What I'd be concerned with is whether or not the chips can handle it. Why wouldn't they have included those features in the first place? Adding it would only add value and incentive to purchase that phone.

picasticks

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
According to the data sheet for the MSM7600 chipset, this is not possible:

QcamcorderTMEncoder
• A real-time wireless video recording solution that captures movies at 30 fps VGA
• 3GPP/2 standards compliant
• Video Codecs: MPEG-4, H.263 and H.264
• Audio Codecs: AMR-NB, EVRC, QCELP and AAC

It is a big leap from VGA to 720p. You're talking a 3x increase in video bandwidth.

Last edited: