Just to get this correct, when certain guides mention Force-Flashing back to ZV8 or ZV9, does this also roll back the radio? Or are radio updates permanent?

(Because I never accepted any OTA updates after ZV9, I'm currently rooted and considering ThundeROM.)
    04-10-2011 03:08 AM
    Just to get this correct, when certain guides mention Force-Flashing back to ZV8 or ZV9, does this also roll back the radio? Or are radio updates permanent?

(Because I never accepted any OTA updates after ZV9, I'm currently rooted and considering ThundeROM.)
    Yes, this will roll back the radio too.
    04-10-2011 09:31 AM

Yes V8, V9, VC, and VD are all radio versions. If you are on V9 and rooted, you will need to use the LG updater tool to update to VD if you want to run the latest ThundeROM (v1.8.3). Or you can flash V1.6.2 from here. That is the last version compatible with V9.
    04-10-2011 09:38 AM
    You are correct they are talking about rolling the radio back to V9 (radio updates VC & VD aren't permanent). If a person accepted a OTA for either version VC or VD and lost their root they need to roll back to V9 to easily reroot or go back to the stock ROM for phone service.

If you use the LGMobile Updater to update your radio and follow the simple instruction for intalling ThundeROM without losing your root, you'll be very pleased with the overall improvement to your phone.
    04-10-2011 09:42 AM
    Yes V8, V9, VC, and VD are all radio versions. If you are on V9 and rooted, you will need to use the LG updater tool to update to VD if you want to run the latest ThundeROM (v1.8.3). Or you can flash V1.6.2 from here. That is the last version compatible with V9.
    i think that nROM 1.5.2 was the last version that would work on v9 i could be wrong though
    04-10-2011 11:55 AM
    i think that nROM 1.5.2 was the last version that would work on v9 i could be wrong though
    Yes, that is correct, but he is interested in ThundeROM.
    04-10-2011 01:11 PM
    Appreciate the helpful responses. Still need to add the custom recovery, and it seems Xionia is the one to use. Why would someone select ThunderC instead?

Is the LG Updater Tool meant for us for flashing purposes, or are we just lucky that it works how it does? Could it possibly wreck us in the future? Could they change something to make the radios unable to roll-back? Just curious more than anything.
    04-10-2011 02:09 PM
    Appreciate the helpful responses. Still need to add the custom recovery, and it seems Xionia is the one to use. Why would someone select ThunderC instead?

Is the LG Updater Tool meant for us for flashing purposes, or are we just lucky that it works how it does? Could it possibly wreck us in the future? Could they change something to make the radios unable to roll-back? Just curious more than anything.
    I went with ThunderC because back when I rooted, I followed a guide which had instructions to use ThunderC as the recovery. I have never used Xionia, not because I have any issues with it, just never had issues with ThunderC.
    Just a preference thing, no big deal either way. They are both great.

LG Updater Tool is provided to us all from LG. It's basically the update without Sprint putting their hands on it and restricting things even more. (Rooting, Free Hotspot, and so on......) Not sure if it will always be this way. We are just lucky that it is this way for now.

BUT!!! There will always be faithful Devs that will figure a way around almost anything
    04-10-2011 02:50 PM
    I have never used Xionia, not because I have any issues with it, just never had issues with ThunderC.
    Just a preference thing, no big deal either way. They are both great.
    Try doing a ##786# or Privacy->Reset with ThunderC Automatic brick.

Also if you have the new LCD, ThunderC will have a blank display.

IMO Xionia CWMA is the better choice, not because of my personal preference, but based on the merits of safety and compatability.

If someone updated ThunderC to address those issues, then I'd have no real preference.
    jstntp likes this.
    04-10-2011 03:02 PM
    Try doing a ##786# or Privacy->Reset with ThunderC Automatic brick.

Also if you have the new LCD, ThunderC will have a blank display.

IMO Xionia CWMA is the better choice, not because of my personal preference, but based on the merits of safety and compatability.

If someone updated ThunderC to address those issues, then I'd have no real preference.
    Well put. And for those points Xionia CWMA is the better choice.

I don't have the new LCD and I have never needed to ##786# or Privacy->Reset. And I know that I can't.

Was just giving my experience.
    04-10-2011 03:15 PM
    Maybe someone clarify: Is the LGMobile Update tool usable with a custom recovery in place? Unless I misread something, that's what I understood as the only way to update and install a custom ROM. Then someone wrote the tool doesn't work if we have a custom recovery on the phone.
    04-12-2011 10:45 PM
    Maybe someone clarify: Is the LGMobile Update tool usable with a custom recovery in place? Unless I misread something, that's what I understood as the only way to update and install a custom ROM. Then someone wrote the tool doesn't work if we have a custom recovery on the phone.
    The only way to update to LS670ZVD (and still be able to root) is by using the LG tool with a custom recovery installed prior to updating. The answer to your question is yes.

IMO using the LG tool with a custom recovery already installed is the recommended way to update to new versions and still be able to root afterwards. I'm sure when LG/Sprint releases LS670ZVE (or whatever they will call it) that will be the way to update and root as well.
    04-12-2011 10:55 PM
    Is the KP500 program better to use for the V9>VD update? Is the LG Updater software just as reliable?
    04-14-2011 12:59 AM
    Is the KP500 program better to use for the V9>VD update? Is the LG Updater software just as reliable?
    There is literally no difference. KP500 requires (and directly uses) the LG tool.
    04-14-2011 01:38 AM
    Ah. Guess I thought the cab-file-on-hand might cause less potential problems and not need the internet, where the other downloaded the file in the process. However, the LG Tool doesn't seem to work unless the computer is online.

In the case of both the V9>VD upgrade, and then later a ROM flash, is the phone service supposed to still work without skipping a beat? Does some activation process need to happen?
    04-14-2011 09:01 AM
    Ah. Guess I thought the cab-file-on-hand might cause less potential problems and not need the internet, where the other downloaded the file in the process. However, the LG Tool doesn't seem to work unless the computer is online.

In the case of both the V9>VD upgrade, and then later a ROM flash, is the phone service supposed to still work without skipping a beat? Does some activation process need to happen?
    Yeah, there shouldn't be any issues with activation or anything like that. Your Sprint account info is stored in NVRAM and that doesn't get touched during flashing of ROMs or anything else.
    04-14-2011 09:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD