Anyone having problems with Google Maps 5.3.1 install?

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Since it came out yesterday, every attempt to install the update seems to fail for me (running TR 1.8.3). Download in the Market finishes fine, then it runs install for a while, then pops up the red exclamation mark in the notification bar. Install failed. Here's the alogcat from a recent attempt:

W/dalvikvm( 6477): partial write in inflate (12248 vs 32768)
W/dalvikvm( 6477): DexOptZ: extraction of classes.dex from /data/app/com.google.android.apps.maps-2.apk failed
W/installd( 1691): DexInv: --- END '/data/app/com.google.android.apps.maps-2.apk' --- status=0xff00, process failed
E/installd( 1691): dexopt failed on '/data/dalvik-cache/data@app@com.google.android.apps.maps-2.apk@classes.dex' res = 65280
I/Process ( 1783): Sending signal. PID: 3827 SIG: 9
I/vending ( 2282): [119] MyPackageInstallObserver.packageInstalled(): Package install from content://downloads/download/155 failed: Package file is invalid.

Any idea what's going on? I've gone in an made sure Google Maps was stopped, cleared all data from the app. Even went into recovery and cleared cache and dalvik. No luck.

Any way to separately get the apk file?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
is your /cache out of space?

dalvik-cache is moved there for many ROMs, which clears up space in /data, but since /cache isn't usually monitored, often when Market needs temporary space for your downloads it barfs due to not having enough space with some less than obvious error messages.

If that is your problem, you can remove some apps and it should clear up space in /cache when the dalvik-cache entries get removed.

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Should be fine as far as I'm aware. I've got ~89MB free when you check the space via System->SD Card & Phone Storage. Is there another place to check cache?

Also, this is the ONLY app that won't install.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Should be fine as far as I'm aware. I've got ~89MB free when you check the space via System->SD Card & Phone Storage. Is there another place to check cache?

Also, this is the ONLY app that won't install.
That lists the free space in /data.

It doesn't list the free space in /cache.

Google Maps also happens to be a relatively large app so you might have enough left in /cache to install smaller apps but not Google Maps (and larger apps)

You can probably see how much space is available in /cache by opening up an adb shell session and typing
busybox df

I don't have my phone with me now so I can't tell you for sure that command will work on Optimus. I usually would type that on other linux systems to get the free space for the mounted partitions.

ens04

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I now have the same situation with my phone. It seems that my phone is running out of cache space (less than 3MB left).This is the reason why I can't update as well even though I have over 50MB free space to download apps.

I was wondering since this space is internal, would it be possible to transfer all of this cache space to the SD card?

DoesItMatter

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
The way it works by default is the the dalvik-cache folder sits on the /data portion of the phone

Tweaks in nRom, ThunderRom, etc allow the system to move dalvik-cache to the /cache portion of the phone

This free's up more space for apps and allows more dalvik-cache space as well

If your phone is NOT rooted, you will have issues doing this cleanup stuff

Only way you can really take advantage of space and optimize is by rooting your phone

Once you do that, you can do some cache cleanup, etc

Also, some people move Apps to the SD card which allows the dalvik-cache more space on the /data part
of the phone, if they do not move the dalvik-cache location to the /cache part of the phone

But - if you have a slow SD card rating (2 or 4) - app loading will be slower

ens04

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I always move all Apps to SD, but I always seem to have (as stated above still less than 3MB) in the davilk cache.

So you said it is posssible to move dalvik cache to another location, that way I can update my other apps?

64fairlane

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I always move all Apps to SD, but I always seem to have (as stated above still less than 3MB) in the davilk cache.

So you said it is posssible to move dalvik cache to another location, that way I can update my other apps?

I am wondering this same thing. My situation is very similar. Have plenty of data remaining on my phone to install apps, but the dalvik cache (from what I have read in this thread) won't allow me to.

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Just an update: on sfhub's recommendation, I ran "busybox df -kh | more" and noticed that, sure enough, my cache was 93% full, with ~6MB left. The only way I was able to get that up to about 10MB free (that seemed to be enough to get Google Maps to install) was to uninstall apps. Titanium made it relatively painless to uninstall and reinstall them (heck, just freezing them might actually work... didn't try that), but still quite an annoyance.

Reactions: 64fairlane

farfromuman

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Look through your apps and see which ones take most of the cache space, for example Evernote takes over 5mb in dalvik-cache and the app itself is about that size, you might have to sacrifice something. Froyo's Apps to SD implementation does not really solve the app space constraints - they should have made it so that the app and dex files both go to SD.

64fairlane

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Just an update: on sfhub's recommendation, I ran "busybox df -kh | more" and noticed that, sure enough, my cache was 93% full, with ~6MB left. The only way I was able to get that up to about 10MB free (that seemed to be enough to get Google Maps to install) was to uninstall apps. Titanium made it relatively painless to uninstall and reinstall them (heck, just freezing them might actually work... didn't try that), but still quite an annoyance.

Thanks, worked like a charm. I deleted Facebook and Twitter, successfully updated Google Maps, then used Titanium Backup to restore Facebook and Twitter.

ens04

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible to move the .dex files to SD card? this way I dont have to uninstall/reinstall my apps again?

Also, does freezing apps work(just like tmeader was saying) to update other apps in the market?

farfromuman

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible to move the .dex files to SD card? this way I dont have to uninstall/reinstall my apps again?

Also, does freezing apps work(just like tmeader was saying) to update other apps in the market?

Freezing does not remove any files, it just prevents apps from starting.

DoesItMatter

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
If you have not Rooted your phone, I do recommend it!

#1 reason - flash a custom recovery!
#2 reason - backup your entire current rom with custom recovery
#3 reason - flashing another rom will allow you more dalvik-cache and free up space on /data

I've been using nRom for a while, and never had to wipe /data since nRom is mainly LG rom based

ThunderROM is really a huge re-work, so /data wipe is recommended with that one.

Have had zero issues with nRom though and never wiped data or lost any apps/settings.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Having the same problem with my rooted Drois Eris 2.1 (xtrSense). Tried to update Google Maps but it wouldn't let me. Wound up removing it instead. Can't re-install it. I have plenty of memory available (110MB free internal, 1.3GB free SD sotrage, 365MB free SD a2sd). Cleaned my cache as well. Still can't install. Any ideas??? I'm in outside sales and need my Google Nav!

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Having the same problem with my rooted Drois Eris 2.1 (xtrSense). Tried to update Google Maps but it wouldn't let me. Wound up removing it instead. Can't re-install it. I have plenty of memory available (110MB free internal, 1.3GB free SD sotrage, 365MB free SD a2sd). Cleaned my cache as well. Still can't install. Any ideas??? I'm in outside sales and need my Google Nav!
have u tried to install the .apk itself.. instead of downloading it from the market???

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Since it came out yesterday, every attempt to install the update seems to fail for me (running TR 1.8.3). Download in the Market finishes fine, then it runs install for a while, then pops up the red exclamation mark in the notification bar. Install failed. Here's the alogcat from a recent attempt:

W/dalvikvm( 6477): partial write in inflate (12248 vs 32768)
W/dalvikvm( 6477): DexOptZ: extraction of classes.dex from /data/app/com.google.android.apps.maps-2.apk failed
W/installd( 1691): DexInv: --- END '/data/app/com.google.android.apps.maps-2.apk' --- status=0xff00, process failed
E/installd( 1691): dexopt failed on '/data/dalvik-cache/data@app@com.google.android.apps.maps-2.apk@classes.dex' res = 65280
I/Process ( 1783): Sending signal. PID: 3827 SIG: 9
I/vending ( 2282): [119] MyPackageInstallObserver.packageInstalled(): Package install from content://downloads/download/155 failed: Package file is invalid.

Any idea what's going on? I've gone in an made sure Google Maps was stopped, cleared all data from the app. Even went into recovery and cleared cache and dalvik. No luck.

Any way to separately get the apk file?
I have the newest apk of that if you need it