Gingersnap Root Utility (one-click ROOT!!!) Multi-Platform

michaelgoe

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Rooting changes nothing in appearance or behavior of the phone. You should now have superuser installed. That is the only real difference. From here you need to install a custom recovery, I suggest zefies xionia recovery. I would suggest ath3nos cm7 rom for 2.3.4 cyanogenmod gingerbread

Sent from my Optimus S

Thank you...but how do I do it? Do I need titanium backup? or do I need to uninstall that for one of the ones you mentioned.....Like I said...Totally new to this...I need it explained in idiot's terms.

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Titanium backup is used only to back up apps that can later be restored to a new rom. As for how to flash a custom recovery and rom, look up those posts pertaining to them and read and ask questions as needed. I read over all possible info for a few days before I felt comfortable enough to go forward. Good luck.

Sent from my Optimus S

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Titanium backup is used only to back up apps that can later be restored to a new rom. As for how to flash a custom recovery and rom, look up those posts pertaining to them and read and ask questions as needed. I read over all possible info for a few days before I felt comfortable enough to go forward. Good luck.

Sent from my Optimus S

I did the same thing I read, Re-read and then read it again! Every single post pretaining to what i was going to do. I think it took me a week to read all thre recovery posts! Like i said i read them like 3 times.

eko3484

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I have tried sooo many things for my Lg optimus s, NOTHING worked! EXCEPT FOR THIS :) I've been waiting months for this after a stupid update! Thank you so much!

TigerDave99

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
OK, I just read all of the posts on all 18 pages because I too was confused. I think the reason for the vast number of posts (and confusion) is due to a lack of detailed installation instructions.

Being that I am a network engineer/tech writer by trade (but a total noob with Android phones), I thought I'd document the entire process from start to finish. I hope this eliminates any further confusion and perhaps the OP might consider link to this post in his original post.

Here goes (first draft)...

On your Windows PC:
1. Download and install Microsoft .NET 4 Framework (dotNetFx40_Full_setup.exe).
2. Download and install the Visual C++ 2008 redistributable (vcredist_x86.exe).
3. Download, unzip, and install LG’s USB drivers for the Optimus S (LGLS670.zip). They are located under the MOBILE DRIVERS section; scroll down to Sprint.
Note: Don’t get confused by all the other drivers and LG apps like the “LG Mobile Support Tool to PC”. You only need to download and install LGALS670.zip (13.9MB).
4. Download and unzip the latest Gingersnap Root Utility to your C drive.
5. Reboot your PC.

On your phone:
6. Remove battery, wait a minute then reinsert.
7. Power phone ON.
8. Under Settings > Applications > Development, check the USB Debugging checkbox.
9. Connect your phone to your PC using the correct USB cable.

On your PC:
10. Allow your PC to detect the phone and load all the Windows drivers. Wait for the “your hardware is ready to use” alerts. There may be more than one, so wait a good minute before proceeding.
11. Locate and run Gingersnap.exe.
12. Click Go. The interface should show “Stealing the ginger’s soul…”.
13. Wait, wait, wait. For me, it took 17 minutes for the process to complete.
14. Gingersnap will display “The ginger’s soul has been stolen.” And a pop-up alert reading “The rooting process is complete and your device is now rebooting. You man now exit this utility.” is displayed. The phone will automatically reboot.
15. Click Quit on the Gingersnap Root Utility.

On your phone:
16. Check your list of apps. You should see a new one named “Superuser” with an icon showing an Android skull and crossbones.

On your PC:
17. Bring up a Command Prompt in Windows (Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt).
18. At the command prompt, change the directory over to where you have Gingersnap unzipped.
19. Run the ADB (Android Debug Bridge) Shell by typing “adb shell” (without the quotes) then press Enter.
20. You should now see a “$” prompt.
21. Type su then press Enter.

On your phone:
22. Immediately check your phone. You should see a Superuser request displayed. Tap Allow.
23. “Unknown has been granted superuser permissions” is displayed.

On your PC:
24. You should now see a “#” prompt in the Command Prompt window.
superuseri.png

On your phone:
25. Launch the Superuser app. Under the Apps tab, you should see “Unknown” listed. You just confirmed that your phone is rooted!

On your PC:
26. In the Command Prompt window, type exit then press Enter. Repeat this to exit and close everything.

Now, go download and install a custom recovery and ROM (which I intend on doing next).

FYI, I did this on an HP Elitebook notebook (Intel Core 2 Duo T9550) with 3GB RAM running Windows XP Pro, SP-3.

Last edited:
Reactions: gnate

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
[INFO]Important Announcement!

Gingersnap Root Utility for Mac has been released! It is the first version of Gingersnap to be released under the Team Androphiles name, and we are working hard to bring the Windows and Linux versions up to par with the new Mac version. Thanks![/INFO]

Reactions: basketthis

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
[INFO]Another Important Announcement!

Gingersnap Root Utility for Mac, Windows and Linux version 2.0 has been released! All versions now are feature synced and all have official Team Androphiles branding! Joy![/INFO]

Toqom

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Been trying to root my Optimus S for a few days. Tried by hand, with z4root, then superoneclick, then gingerbreak through the command line (hangs midway through ./gingerbreak step) and finally this auto tool which I've tried the last version and 2.0 and tried the other step by step from TigerDave. I've given any app that had a waiting time at least an hour to wait with stealing the soul and now the new Executng Exploit sitting forever.

The reason I'm posting is I'm confused as to why the "Gingerbreak" when these phones should have Froyo? or is mine a freak with LS670ZVD and Android 2.2.2?

I'm desperate to root so I can at least remove the Sprint apps, they did NOT give enough room on the phone. Am I missing something here as I've done each of them 5-6 times, double check directions and never got errors I just got to the waiting part and it never did anything else. I've unplugged the battery to cycle, tried to do it the second it boots, even the second it shutsdown.

Checked the phone for root 2 different ways and while this new tool can "Unroot" (basically just reboots my phone) nothing else seems to work. Maybe there's something else I'm missing but I know I followed the steps perfectly and I'm comfortable in a shell/terminal

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Been trying to root my Optimus S for a few days. Tried by hand, with z4root, then superoneclick, then gingerbreak through the command line (hangs midway through ./gingerbreak step) and finally this auto tool which I've tried 1.5 1.67 and 2.0 with the 1.67 then 1.5 trick and the other step by step from TigerDave. I've given any app that had a waiting time at least an hour to wait with stealing the soul and now the new Executng Exploit sitting forever.

The reason I'm posting is I'm confused as to why the "Gingerbreak" when these phones should have Froyo? or is mine a freak with LS670ZVD and Android 2.2.2?

I'm desperate to root so I can at least remove the Sprint apps, they did NOT give enough room on the phone. Am I missing something here as I've done each of them 5-6 times, double check directions and never got errors I just got to the waiting part and it never did anything else. I've unplugged the battery to cycle, tried to do it the second it boots, even the second it shutsdown.

Checked the phone for root 2 different ways and while this new tool can "Unroot" (basically just reboots my phone) nothing else seems to work. Maybe there's something else I'm missing but I know I followed the steps perfectly and I'm comfortable in a shell/terminal

Gingersnap Root Utility does work, because I just demo'ed it to a few people live. Sometimes you just have to try it a few times!

Also, GingerBreak is the name of the exploit (which I did not create). While GingerBreak was written for Gingerbread, it is also known to work on several Froyo-based devices as well as Honeycomb.

Toqom

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Gingersnap Root Utility does work, because I just demo'ed it to a few people live. Sometimes you just have to try it a few times!

Also, GingerBreak is the name of the exploit (which I did not create). While GingerBreak was written for Gingerbread, it is also known to work on several Froyo-based devices as well as Honeycomb.

I'm just getting frustrated, try the old tool about 5-6 times, tried 2.0 about 10 times and let them sit, then reboot, then again. About ready to offer to pay you to do it since I'm just north of you.

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Links lead me to zipped files. WinZip was not free and it tried to obtain personal information from my computer when I uninstalled. I just wanted to root my phone. Cant get any of the necessary software to work. I'm not sure if the drivers transferred from my phone to my WindowsXP computer either. Not sure how to check. Tried hooking it up a few different times and never worked but once. I guess I need to spend weeks instead of days reading about how to do this. I have almost NO computer/code writing background.

Last edited:

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Links lead me to zipped files. WinZip was not free and it tried to obtain personal information from my computer when I uninstalled. I just wanted to root my phone. Cant get any of the necessary software to work. I'm not sure if the drivers transferred from my phone to my WindowsXP computer either. Not sure how to check. Tried hooking it up a few different times and never worked but once. I guess I need to spend weeks instead of days reading about how to do this. I have almost NO computer/code writing background.

You do not need winzip or any other program to extract zips in windows xp.

The drivers are not installed from your phone: a quick forum search should help you find them.

Toqom

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok I found another method that worked, with gingerbreak, the FIRST time.

Link is [26.04.2011][v1.2] GingerBreak APK (root for GingerBread) - xda-developers to the xda site with a Gingerbreak.apk (meaning it's an app for your phone).

Requirements?
-USB Debugging
-NEED a SD card installed and mounted (yes unlike others)
-Need to get the Gingerbreak.apk from the xda site to your phone
(yes they actually say to get it on your phone "somehow"). I put it on one of my websites and just browsed to it with my phone, want my link for ease? http://sitesid.com/Gingerbreak.apk Don't trust me? go get it from the first link then duh =)

-Once the app is on your phone and installed, open it up and give it a few, took me 5 minutes.
-Check for the Superuser app
-I recommend getting BusyBox installer it's on the Market, get the one with a black box icon (that is free or 1.99 for donation version) as this version has the latest release of busy and more than double the versions you can install compared to others. Busybox is more like a library, it won't be in the app drawer =)
-You can remove the gingerbreak app after this (I kept it)

Now this process says that it MIGHT not keep root enabled (reboot will tell) but you can use the time before the reboot to do a few things and if lucky you'll reboot like me and still have root. Site recommends NOT working in this unknown root state and rebooting when you can.

Read the site if you don't have an Optimus S as it mentions a few phones they know it doesn't work for. Hope this helps someone else and I added it to this post because this app doesn't unroot, so I use the tool from this post to turn it off and the awesome tools the author here made for the LG Optimus S Control Center as rooting did NOT let me uninstall SprintID or the SprintZone just the SprintInstaller and the control center DID!

Control Center Forum Link:
http://oscc.moregeekforless.com

Last edited:

Toqom

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Seriously? Winzip? Hasn't the world learned about 7-zip yet? Winzip is SO old and clunky and 7-zip does more, opens more, is free, is opensource and awesome!
7-zip.org

And the other poster is right, on XP winzip should be uninstalled as zip files open native.

Last edited:

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Ok I found another method that worked, with gingerbreak, the FIRST time...

...Read the site if you don't have an Optimus S as it mentions a few phones they know it doesn't work for. Hope this helps someone else and I added it to this post because this app doesn't unroot, so I use the tool from this post to turn it off and the awesome tools the author here made for the LG Optimus S Control Center as rooting did NOT let me uninstall SprintID or the SprintZone just the SprintInstaller and the control center DID!

Control Center Forum Link:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...enter-1-1-001-no-longer-need-android-sdk.html

Just so you know the Gingerbreak APK and Gingersnap work in literally exactly the same fashion. They both utilize the GingerBreak exploit to root your phone. The only difference is one runs from your phone and one runs from your computer. For some people it takes several attempts, and for others it works the first time right off the bat. That's the case with both. It's not a bug or an error, it just happens. The old root exploit (rageagainstthecage) was even more screwy than GingerBreak.

Also, it would be good if you didn't link to an old outdated version of OSCC. The latest version (2.0 beta3-fixed at this time) is available at OSCC - Home. Thanks.

Toqom

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Just so you know the Gingerbreak APK and Gingersnap work in literally exactly the same fashion. They both utilize the GingerBreak exploit to root your phone. The only difference is one runs from your phone and one runs from your computer. For some people it takes several attempts, and for others it works the first time right off the bat. That's the case with both. It's not a bug or an error, it just happens. The old root exploit (rageagainstthecage) was even more screwy than GingerBreak.

Also, it would be good if you didn't link to an old outdated version of OSCC. The latest version (2.0 beta3-fixed at this time) is available at OSCC - Home. Thanks.

Oh I know they are the same exploit I just had issues with the dongle solution, maybe it's my many years old XP installation, I just wanted to have the least amount of dependencies (cable, drivers, .net, c++ etc.) I did try your gingersnap on my wife's Optimus, worked the 2nd time in 3 minutes. Strangely her phone and mine look identical but act different and when I find out a reason why I'll post it.

P.S. Link updated

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Oh I know they are the same exploit I just had issues with the dongle solution, maybe it's my many years old XP installation, I just wanted to have the least amount of dependencies (cable, drivers, .net, c++ etc.) I did try your gingersnap on my wife's Optimus, worked the 2nd time in 3 minutes. Strangely her phone and mine look identical but act different and when I find out a reason why I'll post it.

P.S. Link updated

It's possible that Windows XP has issues with Gingersnap, though that hasn't been specifically tested before. I'll see if I can dig up my old copy of XP and do some testing.

When you used it with your wife's phone, was there anything different such as different USB cable, different USB port, etc?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol