number change no data.

cougs_83

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Okay so I moved to a new area and should have thought that If I rooted my phone I would have needed to unroot before having sprint change my number, but I didn't. I had a mental lapse.

Once sprint changed the number I had voice, but no data. I realized the root probably caused an issue so I booted to custom recovery and selected my nandroid backup. It rebooted and everything looked fine the 3g icon popped up but the data never turned on. I restarted the phone and since then no 3g icon.

Now I am stuck on the sprint ID screen and can't boot to recovery. I started thinking about it and realized that I loaded zefie's kernal I believe. Not sure if that is what is causing me the issues. But I am not sure where to go from here.

Sprint said they tried to do a data push still no 3g. Now they are telling me to come in and they will completely reprogram the hardware???

worried this will brick the phone.

any ideas are greatly appreciated.

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Okay so I moved to a new area and should have thought that If I rooted my phone I would have needed to unroot before having sprint change my number, but I didn't. I had a mental lapse.

Once sprint changed the number I had voice, but no data. I realized the root probably caused an issue so I booted to custom recovery and selected my nandroid backup. It rebooted and everything looked fine the 3g icon popped up but the data never turned on. I restarted the phone and since then no 3g icon.

Now I am stuck on the sprint ID screen and can't boot to recovery. I started thinking about it and realized that I loaded zefie's kernal I believe. Not sure if that is what is causing me the issues. But I am not sure where to go from here.

Sprint said they tried to do a data push still no 3g. Now they are telling me to come in and they will completely reprogram the hardware???

worried this will brick the phone.

any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Alright, first.
Go ahead and try configuring the sprint ID just to see if it will let you out of that screen (don't worry you won't keep it).

Assuming that works, and I'm really not certain it will, I would recommend reverting to stock by following the revert to stock thread listed in the stickies for this forum.

If you are able to do that you may get your EV connection back, if not you can at least take it back to sprint and they won't be able to blame it on the custom recovery or something if they do reboot it.

EDIT: Once you get everything working again, use gingersnap to reroot and you can head on back to putting custom recovery and a different rom ;)

cougs_83

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Sblood86.

No I am actually not able to get past the sprint ID screen.

I have actually used the revert to stock section here before. (I did the data wipe through the phone menu after root the first time and used it to unbrick my phone)

Here is where I am stuck. because I loaded my original nandroid back up and it reverted back to the stock OS I lost my custom recovery.

I have a different pc that I am using now so I had to go back and install drivers for the phone and reset up the SDK. When I attempted to gain shell access from the original root (before Gingerbreak) I was never able to get the coveted # ... I assume somehow the phone updated even though there was no data to it when I went back to the stock OS. (maybe when it was showing 3g in the first place)

Before checking this thread I was able to go back through gingerbreak and gain access. And now I have been able to load the new main custom recovery that is linked to the gingerbreak root thread.

Here is where I am stuck now and don't know what direction to go. I am thinking that If I continue through create my nandroid and set up the latest version of Thunderom since it can receive OTA updates from what I am seeing. I think I should be able to get my data back.

On the other hand it would probably be smarter to go back to stock then re root after. My problem is I can follow instructions with CMD but I have no Idea what to do if I don't know what to enter. And just from reading those instructions it looks like what it is telling me to do is based on the previous root instructions and would be based on me having an earlier custom recovery.

Also the link for GNM's v1.1.0 Recovery Kernel. isn't taking me anywhere.

Does anyone have any suggestions of which direction to go from here?

cougs_83

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Just an update. wiped and flashed rebornrom 2.1. It seems awesome! But to this point still don't have data. At least for the meantime I have wifi and other basic functionality for my phone. I guess if the data doesn't update soon I will have to figure out the return to stock from the Gingerbreak root and see if it kicks in or warranty the phone.

I did try to do a profile update. Sprint guy kept telling me to do that after they swapped the number saying that should push the data through. But that didn't work. I also have an EVO that I did a number swap on at the same time running fresh and it took about 2 hours for the data to kick in. So I am holding on to that little bit of hope.

Any other ideas especially from someone with reborn that knows the rom better would be greatly appreciated.

jsm0377

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Had the same problem yesterday when one of my managers had to swap phones from an Evo to an Optimus. Took her daughter's phone and swapped her number to it. Had to do a full wipe and profile update to get data back.

cougs_83

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Thats funny. For work I needed to keep the phone number that was on my Evo for existing clients and get the new area code for new local clients. So the new number ended up on my EVO and the original number on my EVO was also moved over to the optimus.

Was his phone stock or rooted? I have wiped the data/factory reset, wipe cache, wipe Dalvik-cache, but I can't get the profile update to work. Is there anything else that needs to be wiped? I have tried with both when I reverted to stock. (via nanddroid backup. Need to go back and follow sticky instructions.) I am still wondering if it might have been because I think it was still running Zefie's kernel. (Don't know if running my nandroid back up that took me back to stock os would move the kernel back to stock as well.)

Let me know if he was rooted. I am messing around with things now on reborn trying to get it back up. From what I understand I should be able to update the PRL through that ROM correct?

cougs_83

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Okay going back to stock can anyone tell me where to get the v8 to v9 zip from the unroot sticky? The link is no good and I don't still have it.

cougs_83

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Sorry should have waited a little longer. The phone was showing 3g, but stating there was still a data issue. Figured I needed to run the V8 to V9 update. After a few minutes the OTA's started rolling in. Data seems to once again be working after the first OTA and there have been 3 more since. Yeah!!!