[HACK] How to get Netflix app to work on your Optimus S

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

Here is the new updated info to get your Netflix to work on you Optimus S.

***YOU MUST BE ROOTED AND HAVE A ROOT FILE MANAGER/EXPLORER TO DO THIS***

these are my new directions.....

Change the following lines in your build.prop

Your build.prop is in this dir on you cell.. /system/build.prop

ro.product.model=HTC Vision
ro.product.brand=tmobile
ro.product.name=vision
ro.product.device=vision
ro.product.board=vision
ro.product.manufacturer=HTC

Reboot your cell..

NOW... Navigate to "about phone". If it shows that you have the HTC you have done the edit correctly.

Once this is verified.. go to the MARKET and download the Netflix app. For some reason this one works. The one from the other threads doesnt work on my cell, but the legit market one does when u have it set as HTC. WORKS 100% for me.

The only difference between the 2 apps is the one on the market is a newer updated version of the apk file

If you need help with editing build.prop then you may want to second think doing this hack :p

GOOD LUCK TO ALL! :)

Last edited:

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I know everyone's probably tired of me asking, buuuuut . . . is there a green bar using this method? :-!
If you are on any ROM that isnt CM7 than yes. If you dont want the bar go for CM7 and follow the instructions. I have tested on all ROMs for our Optimus and they all work this way.

Sparty73

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
If you are on any ROM that isnt CM7 than yes. If you dont want the bar go for CM7 and follow the instructions. I have tested on all ROMs for our Optimus and they all work this way.

Gotcha. Thanks for letting me know. Weird that CM7 doesn't have that issue.

I also can confirm, but it sounds possibly like my own experience only, that the following buildprop changes work as well:

ro.product.model=Nexus One
ro.product.brand=google
ro.product.name=passion
ro.product.device=passion
ro.product.board=mahimahi
ro.product.manufacturer=HTC

Again, sounds like jondevere and some others may have had issues with using the Nexus One code, but it worked for me first try.

alexdreid

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Working for me. I'm running a fairly old school set up on my phone... rooted on V9 with LegoRom. There's the green line at the top, but who cares - if I'm watching something with the intent of enjoying the stunning cinematography, I think I'll likely opt for a flat screen TV before I watch on my my phone. Great work on figuring this out, Jon.

v0mitr0n

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, green bar kinda kills it. Don't want to revert to the CM7 ROM. But awesome find!

Oh. Yeah. Check ouy my sig . LoL

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

gldnbear

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I got this to work on my phone. Thanks.

I am still new to Android, so I have a couple of questions on the buildprop.

I assume you need to keep this if you want run Netflix. (You cannot revert back to the old copy).

What issues can you have by leaving this on the phone as far updates or loading new software from the market?

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Es file explorer

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
If you are using ES, you need to go to the settings. Then navigate to the bottom of the settings page and you will see root options. You need to check both boxes, Root Explorer and Mount File System. It will prompt you to choose from 2 options when you click Root Explorer. You want to choose HiAPK.

Last edited:
Reactions: javascriptvoid

bblaze

Android Powered Human
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I got this to work on my phone. Thanks.

I am still new to Android, so I have a couple of questions on the buildprop.

I assume you need to keep this if you want run Netflix. (You cannot revert back to the old copy).

What issues can you have by leaving this on the phone as far updates or loading new software from the market?

I noticed that Swype doesn't work. The Swype keyboard works (click each letter), but not with swyping.

pitmasterme

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks man! Working great. Running scott pilgrams cm7.....no green bar. Watched two episodes of Ren and stimpy with no issues......

Sent from my "HTC Vision" using Tapatalk

mark.t

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
i cant get my buildprop to work either. i changed it and reboot then go to about phone and nothing has change. I dont know if im doing it right.