[BRICK WARNING] - ROM Manager on the Optimus S = BRICK !!!

mabry77

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: [BRICK WARNING] - Do NOT use Rom Manager on the Optimus S

I have noticed a large flood of new androidcentral users and I know the first place that they go to is the market. With that said I know lots of new users are tempted to use Rom Manager in the hope they will get root, recovery and a rom. This should not be used on the Optimus S. This device is not supported. The results of accidental usage is a brick aka broken. If you read thru the stickies and the most commented on threads you will find plenty of users with experience as well as detailed instructions on how to achieve root, custom recovery as well as some nice custom Roms.

Good luck and welcome to Androidcentral. :)
I used Rom Manager and flashed the recovery for Optimus V. Boots right up into recovery, etc. I have had no issues so far.

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

Is there any way to reverse what Rom Manager does? I read this a couple days ago before I really figured out what all was going on. The biggest problem I have is no Android Recovery. It just goes to the black screen. I uninstalled Rom Manager already and wondering if an unroot will do anything as well. (I didnt read closely enough...) :-[ PMs would be warmly accepted and some thank you's.

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

I used Rom Manager and flashed the recovery for Optimus V. Boots right up into recovery, etc. I have had no issues so far.

I did the same thing, chose the Optimus V. As soon as I named my stock (custom) flash recovery everything went bad. No recovery for me.

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

Yea u are fubar for recovery... Time to cross your fingers and walk thru Xionia Recovery steps til you get it. Rom Manager is the "easy way out" and DOESNT work 99% of the time. This is why this is a Sticky.... Good luck or hit me up on Gtalk if you need someones advise or just help walking thru it...

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

Yea u are fubar for recovery... Time to cross your fingers and walk thru Xionia Recovery steps til you get it. Rom Manager is the "easy way out" and DOESNT work 99% of the time. This is why this is a Sticky.... Good luck or hit me up on Gtalk if you need someones advise or just help walking thru it...

So is there a way to COMPLETELY repair the damage to the recovery? I understand enough to break the phone so I could probably learn how to fix it. Gotta figure out how to get back into adb shell.:-[

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Reactions: turbo talon dl
Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

I successfully recovered from ROM Manager after many hours of failing on my own. Jondevere saved my stupid @$$ from buying another phone. I had files in the wrong place and didnt extract properly. Didnt accept the super user because the screen kept locking up, and I want typing adb shell some of the time and getting the $ and # signs. The Xionia Clockwork recovery works well and my phone was back to the reboot screen. Just make sure all the files are sent directly to the F:\ (root). Jondevere pretty much talked me through the process and helped me figure out where and when I was going wrong. Communication is key and small details can make a world of difference. Describe exactly how, where, and what you're doing and placing things. Who woulda thought that one out of eight bits can cause a problem? :eek:

bigstar3

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

Yes, I wish I had read this as well. Here's the situation I am in, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have an Optimus S.

I was running Reborn like a champ, I thought I'd try the 04282011 zeffie build for S&Gs. When I tried to flash it (after wiping everything), it said it installed successfully, but sits at the second (red and silver) lg screen.

So I ran my nandroid back to Reborn. After doing some reading, I was under the impression I needed to update my recovery to clockwork 3.0 or higher for 2.3 based roms. So I downloaded CW and updated with the latest rom for Optimus V figuring hey, what the hell, its close enough (N00b!). Went and opened the new recovery, wiped my phone, and tried the install of CM7 again. Its doing the same thing, sitting at the LG screen. I waited almost 30 minutes.

NOW, the CW recovery doesnt see my nan backup that Xionia's did. Its there on my card, CW doesnt do it. If I cd and ls on the sdcard, I can see the old backup just chilling there. I can't flash my reborn rom because of the "amend scripting is no longer supported on 2.3 Gingerbread" deal. I can't load (to my knowledge and research this morning) a new recovery FROM a recovery, even using ADB (I get to the last step "# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img" and I get a "Failed error -1" message).

So, can anyone help me:
- Describe how to load another recovery through ADB? Remember, I cannot get into a rom to use terminal
- Can I adb my nandroid backup thats on my sdcard? CW doesn't have a nandroid option, just their own backups (or at least it doesnt see the one I have on there)
or
- Tell me how I can permanently brick this thing so Sprint doesn't know I tried this and get a new one using the insurance I've paid for years and never used :p

anthonyebony1

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

i did the rom manager thing and now my optimus s only boots to the sprint logo and stays there... i told rom manager i ad a optimus v and then i did a flash rom option then reboot then now stuck at sprint screen edit: i can access <3ea> android sstem recovery... just dont kno where to go from there

xxx1angel3xxx

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

i almost did this but saw there was no opt for opt s so decided to wait and read glad I did

LocoMonoPendejo

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

I used rom manager and now all my google services are gone and my home button doesn't work! How can I get everything back to normal. Someone help me please!!!! I'm also a newb at all of this.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2011
Visit site

I used rom manager and now all my google services are gone and my home button doesn't work! How can I get everything back to normal. Someone help me please!!!! I'm also a newb at all of this.

Did you make a Nandroid backup after you rooted but before you installed and used Rom Manager? If so, I would imagine you could just boot to recovery mode and just restore from that backup and be fine. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me. I'm moderately new with the world of rooting.

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site

I emailed the Dev of Rom Manager and asked if he could put a warning in the app description so other Optimus S users don't get the app and brick themselves.

Reactions: mike9670

b4mmb4mm

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

I had already rooted and flashed my Optimus S, then added rom manager. I have not tried to change roms since, I will remove it... Thanks guys.

b4mmb4mm

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

Oh, I forgot I did see they now support the Optimus V and used that setting.

markhardy0877

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site

so how do i fix this if i did use rom manager? i didnt see this thread until after my phone turned into a paperweight

jas2743

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

I just gotta say...I really wish rom manager would start supporting the optimus s because i followed the custom recovery thread line for line, word for word, and it doesn't work on my device. Which i highly don't understand. Please ROM manager god! Work your greatness! lol

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513