For those interested in a official 2.3 sprint upgrade for opt s

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: For those interested in a official 2.3 sprint upgrade for opt

True about the boot.img, I was just testing you ;)
LOL, Come on man you know I am smarter than that...

And what do you mean? If you're meaning extracting from the CAB file, you can't AFAIK
Hmmmm... That file has to be readable by something. I want to be able to open up the actual KDZ/CAB file and build from there. If its possible.... It has to be... Somehow.

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I just talked to Sprint Customer Care. As per the conversation, it was confirmed that new Optimus S devices do indeed come with Android 2.3 Gingerbread, and Sprint is in the process of pushing an update, but the representative I spoke with could not however confirm a specific timeline.

I bet here in not too long we'll have the update.

EDIT: I tried that too, just before calling Sprint. No dice.

EDIT 2: The OTA update will be un-rootable guaranteed. But if they also push it through the LG update tool (which they should), it will definitely be rootable with that.

@ drewwalton19216801 thanks for letting me know I'm not crazy and was told the same lol. This is a very interesting development for stock owners. Good luck with the chase gentlemen

regime2008

May 24, 2011
Visit site

Hmmmm, very interesting... Wonder how it will hold compared to the CM7 ports... Plus isn't a pure gingerbread port coming out soon?

ath3nos

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

Hmmmm, very interesting... Wonder how it will hold compared to the CM7 ports... Plus isn't a pure gingerbread port coming out soon?

I don't know if it's coming out soon, lol. But it is being worked on.

Kamron

Punk a$$ b1tcH
Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

She was also told that optimus s owners may take their device into a sprint corporate store and have their phone manually updated to 2.3.

Hmmm, my wife's Optimus S is still stock...maybe I'll take her phone in if this is true. It looks like my local store opens at 10 EST. I'll try calling then.

Last edited:

Sparty73

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site

This SHOULD have less bugs and all features working properly. We want it to make those ports even better.

Exactly. This is why we should all want an official GB build. Even if you think the CM7 ports are sweet, and don't really have an issue with them, working off a GB build, for our phones, from Sprint and LG, can only stabilize things.

Kamron

Punk a$$ b1tcH
Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Hmmm, my wife's Optimus S is still stock...maybe I'll take her phone in if this is true. It looks like my local store opens at 10 EST. I'll try calling then.

FWIW, My local corporate store told me that they are not able to do this.

Sparty73

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site

FWIW, My local corporate store told me that they are not able to do this.

Thanks for checking. It'll be interesting to see if those who try going into their local Sprint stores find any floor models running GB.

Since we can't find the build on the LG Update Tool, I would guess the update hasn't trickled down to stores yet.

Jessicalt1

Lover of all things Andi
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I'm fine on Reborn until someone comes out with an upgraded ROM... I don't want to go back to stock... lol.

rand807

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

if they could do upgrades at Sprint stores that would be awesome, but to be honest, i'm completely fine and kinda prefer the CM7 ports like ath3nos' rom.

mike9670

DROID Master
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

I'll wait for a Rootable version of LG/Sprint GB and for Nick & crew to make a sweet ROM out of it.

xplode196

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

I'll wait for a Rootable version of LG/Sprint GB and for Nick & crew to make a sweet ROM out of it.
Yeah I'd like to have a GB based ROM that's fully functional and then we can start adding our own stuff to our *stock* GB. That'd be awesome!

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

So who went and got that Gingerbread update today? I tried, that was a no go at my Sprint store. They said that they do not have it to update. No more info. Now I am calling Sprint tech support now to see what they say.

watson387

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site

This is good news, but I think I'm going to have to get rid of this phone soon. Sprint's service is killing me lately. It seems like I'm roaming all the time and have a hard time getting data. My phone is usable in my home and hit and miss everywhere else. I called customer service about it and they give me the same old crap like it's just me when my wife and neighbors have the same freaking problem. Sprint's plans and phones are good but I need a reliable service and Sprint just isn't anymore. :(

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
So who went and got that Gingerbread update today? I tried, that was a no go at my Sprint store. They said that they do not have it to update. No more info. Now I am calling Sprint tech support now to see what they say.

Yeah I just got the same result. Don't call Sprint Customer Care, they don't know their head from their derri?re. That's what the Sprint store rep said anyway LMFAO.

I think the 2.3 update IS coming, but I have no idea when.

Sparty73

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site

Disappointing to say the least. I thought it may be an exciting day for us Opti S users. Definitely follow up with what tech support has to say.

ath3nos

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

Lol. I keep checking LG Open Source Code Distribution site for it to drop. I feel like a kid at Christmas time wondering if I'll get that shiny new bike I saw at Walmart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance