For those interested in a official 2.3 sprint upgrade for opt s

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: For those interested in a official 2.3 sprint upgrade for opt

Yeah I just got the same result. Don't call Sprint Customer Care, they don't know their head from their derri?re. That's what the Sprint store rep said anyway LMFAO.

I think the 2.3 update IS coming, but I have no idea when.

Too late, LOL. That's 10 minutes of my life I will never get back. But yeah. Very disappointing.

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Lol. I keep checking LG Open Source Code Distribution site for it to drop. I feel like a kid at Christmas time wondering if I'll get that shiny new bike I saw at Walmart.

Lol. Right there with ya. Tired the corporation store but wasn't opened yet. Well get confirmation one way or another soon but phone reps are ill informed so I'm having my doubts for sure

Hawaiian_Geek

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

I contacted my local sprint store and was told they don't have anyway to do the update yet....so hold your horses maybe it'll come in time.....;)

jadenj5

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I like Scott Pilgrim just fine :p its close to stock, but has the cm parts I enjoy. I'd only do official of it gets rooted

sent from my ginger-optimus

ath3nos

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

So, this post peaked my interest and since Sprint has a lot of conflicting information from 'it was a typo' to 'yes they are shipping with 2.3' to 'no you can't update', I decided to go to the source, LG. I sent LG a note from the Open Source Code Distribution site concerning the information that the new Optimus S' are shipping with 2.3 and wondering when the source will be released and here is the response I received:

Thank you for your interest about our mobile phone, LS670.

"We recieved your request on LG Open Source Code Distribution site.

This site is just for providing source codes of FOSS(Free and Open Source Software) we have used in our products."

We are planning to release the source that you requested soon.

Please wait for a few more days.

We hope this information will help you.

Thank you.

Sincerely yours,

LGE MC Company Open Source Code Distribution Center

Maybe this will actually happen soon???

Reactions: pilot03

xplode196

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

So, this post peaked my interest and since Sprint has a lot of conflicting information from 'it was a typo' to 'yes they are shipping with 2.3' to 'no you can't update', I decided to go to the source, LG. I sent LG a note from the Open Source Code Distribution site concerning the information that the new Optimus S' are shipping with 2.3 and wondering when the source will be released and here is the response I received:

Thank you for your interest about our mobile phone, LS670.

"We recieved your request on LG Open Source Code Distribution site.

This site is just for providing source codes of FOSS(Free and Open Source Software) we have used in our products."

We are planning to release the source that you requested soon.

Please wait for a few more days.

We hope this information will help you.

Thank you.

Sincerely yours,

LGE MC Company Open Source Code Distribution Center

Maybe this will actually happen soon???
OMG YES FINALLY! We were ahead with getting 2.2, and finally 2.3 is within our grasp!

Sparty73

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site

Brilliant move to contact LG about the source. I never would've thought of that. That reply from them is great news too.

The information coming from Sprint/LG may sound conflicting, but it actually may not be. Nobody's said Sprint isn't shipping new Opti S's with GB, and the confusion at the stores over the update is probably because they haven't pushed it for current phones yet. LG's source code release would probably be after Sprint notified everyone of an OTA update date.

I may be wrong on this, but wasn't it over the Samsung Epic that Sprint retracted their 2.3 web posting, and not the Optimus S?

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Brilliant move to contact LG about the source. I never would've thought of that. That reply from them is great news too.

The information coming from Sprint/LG may sound conflicting, but it actually may not be. Nobody's said Sprint isn't shipping new Opti S's with GB, and the confusion at the stores over the update is probably because they haven't pushed it for current phones yet. LG's source code release would probably be after Sprint notified everyone of an OTA update date.

I may be wrong on this, but wasn't it over the Samsung Epic that Sprint retracted their 2.3 web posting, and not the Optimus S?

I do believe you are correct about the epic.

sent from my Reborn Optimus

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site

Wow. I created an animal with this post. Sorry guys but you had a right to know what I did. CM7 is just fine by me. The saga continues lol

Donx510

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site

Ahh, hopefully we do get 2.3 onto our phones. Until then, I will stay with Reborn or CM7

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

But on the same note Sprint said that is a mistake and it does not ship with 2.3.

Not sure who to believe: Sprint Community: LG Optimus S 2.3 Android Update....

I told you in the 4th post it was a mistake and not truly shipping with GB. I did however believe the hype and checked myself at local Corp Sprint store and they said no update.

Has anyone tried porting the offical european GB update? Where you at Drew?

Last edited:

Cort

May 29, 2011
Visit site

Wow i ran cross this thread and now im bummed about getting my optimus back in april, if it ends up that its true an they release the new ones with the 2.3 then they should send out and update to all optimus s.

phreak311

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

Well i'm looking forward to the Official 2.3 upgrade. I have 2.3.4 CM7 on my phone right now. But the official 2.3 will have custom roms developed from it, which will be way more stable. But I am kind of pissed off that the update hasn't been pushed yet, but you can go buy one with 2.3 stock.

cboekhoven

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

I can confirm that the new ones do not come with 2.3

I was supposed to have a refurb ordered when my optimus broke the other day. But because I waited for 1.5 hours before they helped me the manager gave me a brand new one from the cabinet. And sure enough it is running 2.2.2 not 2.3

VaccPalm

May 21, 2010
Visit site

Yeah went to the local store yesterday. they do not come with 2.3 . No upgrade. doubt it will ever come either.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site

Just for everyone: LG has been contacted directly and they will be releasing the source for gingerbread for our phones soon. :) Hope I didn't spill the beans. :p