Gingerbread is here!

bluefalcon13

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Yup, used the update.zip for my phone last night after the kiddo was in bed (update.zip was from the rooting thread). So far the keyboard feels more responsive in general... and loving the darker theme. After the cm7 gets updated, i might root again.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Sweet! So within the next week or so the "When will we be getting Ice Cream Sandwich?" threads will start!

Mike

Last I heard was "The 4th Quarter of 2011" which is Oct-Dec.
They want to have it out before the iPhone 5 arrives.

Then we just have to wait for a master developer to make it ready for the rooted Optimus' currently running GB and all will be right with the world.

Mav. :cool:

droid_filter

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Wondering if there's a need to unroot before doing the update? I have gingersnap on mine. Anyone know? Thanks in advance.

Hawaiian-
Yes, you will need to unroot and revert back to stock rom and stock recovery to apply the official Gingerbread update. Visit the thread in the rooting and roms section of this forum to get the necessary instructions on what you'll need to do. Some of the other guys have already figured out how to root the official GB update. Hope this helps.
-droid_filter

droid_filter

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
It says my systems up to date?.... and I have 2.2.2

Rukin-
I'm in the same boat you are. I'm currently at 2.2.2 and patiently waiting for the OTA Gingerbread update to show up. It says you are up to date because they haven't pushed Gingerbread to your phone yet. Just be patient. It will be here soon enough. :)
-droid_filter

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hawaiian-
Yes, you will need to unroot and revert back to stock rom and stock recovery to apply the official Gingerbread update. Visit the thread in the rooting and roms section of this forum to get the necessary instructions on what you'll need to do. Some of the other guys have already figured out how to root the official GB update. Hope this helps.
-droid_filter
You do not need to revert to stock rom. You only need to have stock recovery (V9 recovery if you want to root ZVH). If you have one of the "enhancements" that moves cache to sd or dalvik to cache, you might want to "wipe data" or it could run out of space trying to upgrade.

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Rukin-
I'm in the same boat you are. I'm currently at 2.2.2 and patiently waiting for the OTA Gingerbread update to show up. It says you are up to date because they haven't pushed Gingerbread to your phone yet. Just be patient. It will be here soon enough. :)
-droid_filter
You can just download the update.zip from the ZVH root thread in my signature and put it on your sdcard. Make sure you have stock recovery then boot into recovery and apply sdcard:update.zip.

However if you want to root ZVH, you should follow the full set of instructions. If you apply ZVH without following the root instructions, and decide later on you want to root ZVH, you'll need to revert.

droid_filter

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
You do not need to revert to stock rom. You only need to have stock recovery. If you have one of the "enhancements" that moves cache to sd or dalvik to cache, you might want to "wipe data" or it could run out of space trying to upgrade.

Sfhub-
Sorry man. I was under the impression that it had to be a stock ROM too based on drew's post from the other day in the ZVH Update.zip thread.
-droid_filter

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Sfhub-
Sorry man. I was under the impression that it had to be a stock ROM too based on drew's post from the other day in the ZVH Update.zip thread.
-droid_filter
Usually with updates, that is the case, because they are shipped as patches to existing files.

This particular update though is a full update, so they format your /system and write all the new files, thus there is no reason to have stock rom, it just gets formatted over.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Wondering if there's a need to unroot before doing the update? I have gingersnap on mine. Anyone know? Thanks in advance.
You do not need to unroot.

In fact, if you want to root ZVH, it helps to already be rooted with your existing ROM.

See the rooting ZVH instructions in my signature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol