Turn off signal search Optimus S

Nete

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I got a bad esn Optimus S from ebay. It always displays the signal strength in the status bar and gives a status alert when I lose a signal. Is there a way to stop it from searching for a signal?

Just so you know....
In Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile networks:
Data enabled = OFF
Data roaming = OFF
Data Roam Guard = OFF

It still displays the cell signal, which has to eat battery life, right?

Thanks.

droid_filter

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Nete-
You are correct, it is eating away at the battery life. However, you could always put the phone in Airplane Mode which will kill the radio signal and most likely prolong the battery quite a bit. Hope this helps.
-droid_filter

Reactions: Nete and basketthis

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I got a bad esn Optimus S from ebay. It always displays the signal strength in the status bar and gives a status alert when I lose a signal. Is there a way to stop it from searching for a signal?

Just so you know....
In Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile networks:
Data enabled = OFF
Data roaming = OFF
Data Roam Guard = OFF

It still displays the cell signal, which has to eat battery life, right?

Thanks.

I am assuming you are just using it as a micro tablet since you cannot activate it for phone service. My suggestion is to root, flash a custom rom, and flash a cyanogen based rom. The reason for it, cyanogen allows you to turn on airplane mode AND still use wifi. Plus you will notice vastly improved battery life. Not to mention being able to overclock the processor ect.

Just my 2cents

Reactions: Nete

Nete

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I have been busy so I've not replied until now. First of all, thanks for all your suggestions.

you could always put the phone in Airplane Mode which will kill the radio signal and most likely prolong the battery quite a bit. Hope this helps.
-droid_filter

^^ Thanks, but I'd like the wifi signal.

You could also install one of the "settings" apps/widgets that lets you turn off 3G, Radios, etc.

^^ I couldn't find any apps that would disable the 3G signal searching

I am assuming you are just using it as a micro tablet since you cannot activate it for phone service. My suggestion is to root, flash a custom rom, and flash a cyanogen based rom. The reason for it, cyanogen allows you to turn on airplane mode AND still use wifi. Plus you will notice vastly improved battery life. Not to mention being able to overclock the processor ect.

Just my 2cents

^^ This guy knows exactly what I'm talking about. Kudos! I will look into a cyanogen. THANKS!

jas12

May 4, 2011
Visit site
This is an app made by Nick7 that is for our phones that controls the hidden roam menu turns 3g on and off and alot of other settings

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21