Replacing the Back of the Optimus S

FitChicago

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi All:

On Friday I somehow managed to lose the back of my Optimus S (the black plastic backing that covers the battery and such). I called Sprint to see if I might persuade them to give a 10 year customer a new one; unfortunately they were unable to give me one or direct me to where I might find a replacement.

Might anyone be able to: Recommend a do-it-yourself way to secure the battery area of the phone in lieu of having the plastic backing? (You'd be surprised how bad battery life is when the battery constantly falls out... :-[ ) Know of something I might purchase that would alleviate this issue? Or, have an Optimus S that is not working and might be nice enough to let me acquire it's plastic backing?

I'm a little over a month away from my last annual upgrade (due to Sprint Premiere Gold being discontinued), so any solution you might suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, in advance, for your feedback!

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

uberjam545

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps the right kind of case would be a solution. I have the otterbox case (got it for 20 bucks on ebay) which would possibly do it.

After a quick web search, I found this. LG Optimus S LS670 Battery Door/Battery Cover but you will have to buy 5 of them LOL. Another option is to purchase an extended battery, as those often come with the expanded back cover.

at least with five you can afford to lose them some more :D
theres also this from the accesories forum: http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-accessories/115779-review-wip-3600mah-extended-battery-backplate.html

FitChicago

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys! I definitely appreciate your help!
While I'm not in the market for 5 cases (I'm likely upgrading in another month), I might go for the otterbox or extended battery.

hlxanthus: can I ask you a favor-- might you take the battery cover off your phone, put the otterbox on it and shake it around to see if the battery stays in place?
(I know it is a dorky request but the answer would be helpful... :) )

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys! I definitely appreciate your help!
While I'm not in the market for 5 cases (I'm likely upgrading in another month), I might go for the otterbox or extended battery.

hlxanthus: can I ask you a favor-- might you take the battery cover off your phone, put the otterbox on it and shake it around to see if the battery stays in place?
(I know it is a dorky request but the answer would be helpful... :) )

It actually seemed to hold just fine. I think you may have a small issue with dust getting on around the camera lenses but other wise seems quite secure. I was shaking it and banging it as forcefully as I dared but it never popped out.

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Tapatalk

FitChicago

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
It actually seemed to hold just fine. I think you may have a small issue with dust getting on around the camera lenses but other wise seems quite secure. I was shaking it and banging it as forcefully as I dared but it never popped

Thank you so much for testing that out for me, I really appreciate it.

And thanks to everyone else for their suggestions; I'm gong with the case to get me through the next month or so.

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Tapatalk