Are you smarter than Sprint? Need help, Bricked in Emergency Mode

snag11

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I have a LG Optimus S

Long story short:

- A while ago I rooted the phone with CM7, but had bluetooth problems with my Ford Sync. So I flashed back to the stock rom and downloaded a new Gbread rom.

- I flashed what was supposed to be an update for GBread but something went wrong (irrelevent) and I was stuck with a brick that would not load past the black LG boot screen. Cannot get into the factory reset menu or anything either. I had a custom Android Recovery boot menu, but nothing else besides Emergency Mode or the black LG screen of death will show up.

- I can get into Emergency Mode, but to try any of the methods to fix the brick wont work because while it is plugged in to my computer, my CPU finds it...but it keeps disconnecting/flashing on and off from E-Mode every 1 minute or so it won't stay connected long enough to try anything.

- Since it won't keep a solid connection to my CPU (as well as any other CPU I plug it in to) I cannot use KDZ or LGNPST or any other method I found.

- I have downloaded all the current drivers from LG, and have tried disabling the Modem in device manager, no help.

So, here are my questions:

1. Anyone have any suggestions to keep it connected to my PC?

2. If I get a solid connection, from all the different methods in this forum has anyone tried one with a similar problem that they got to work?

If anyone can help or have fixed a similar problem, PLEASE let me know how you fixed it. I am willing to try anything to get this thing working again.

Thanks!

Last edited:

mcasas

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: Are you smarter than Sprint? Need help, Bricked in Emergency

Just curious did you have a custom recovery when you flashed the gb update or did you force flash v9 recovery before updating

snag11

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

Yea I had a Custom Recovery discussed in this video installed and it was working fine when all this went down last night:

cusinndzl's Channel - YouTube

Like I said I cannot access the recovery, and I am stuck with either the black LG screen or the Emergency Mode screen that has the LG logo and the words "Download is in progress. Do not disconnect cable", regardless if I'm plugged in or not.

Thanks!

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
What recovery do you have installed?

sent from my CM7/Reborn w/ 1 Gb internal storage Optimus S

Always happy to help, hit that thanks button if I did

mcasas

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

have you tried to boot into recovery by holding volume dwn,home and power at the same time until it goes into recovery

snag11

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

yes it won't do anything but show the LG screen, will not boot into any recover method. I'm assuming there is some utility I can run, but again it won't keep a consistant connection to a computer to work with anything I've seen here in the forum.

mcasas

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

to be honest with you i myself dont know if it can be reversed u needed to force flash stock recovery before applying the update.you might be able to try this http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...forms-brick.html?highlight=emergency+mode.but before trying it you might see if someone with more knowledge can tell you if it will or will not work

EDIT : post what was done to resolve the problem just in case i ever get into the same situation

Last edited:

eliment

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

Did you ever find a fix..?? Cuz my phone is doing the exact same thing now

dsuffern

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

I'm working on a fix for my friends Optimus S that just had the same thing happen. I was just going to abd push the original firmware back to the phone but I'm not able to get the usb connection to stick either.

aaronrw

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site

to be honest with you i myself dont know if it can be reversed u needed to force flash stock recovery before applying the update.you might be able to try this http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...forms-brick.html?highlight=emergency+mode.but before trying it you might see if someone with more knowledge can tell you if it will or will not work

EDIT : post what was done to resolve the problem just in case i ever get into the same situation

You can toggle off signature verify while in xionia and flash the update zip twice. Worked for me but probably not in this case.....:'(