Notification issue after gingerbread update

ttenpas

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Ever since installing the gingerbread update, my notifications only show up sporadically. I'll get an email/gmail notification and then find out that I've received several previous emails that I never got a notification for. Or I'll get an ebay notification and find out that the auction actually ended several hours earlier. I never had these problems before the update. If I do a reboot or turn airplane mode on then off, any current notifications will come through, but it kind of defeats the purpose if I have to remember to "check". Any suggestions?

Ivy547

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
The official fix is to downgrade to Froyo which returns your phone to it's pre-update goodness. I personally see two downsides to that; first your phone will be factory reset and second, the posibility that sprint and LG won't come thru with a fix. It depends how bad your phone is after the update, mine is bearable so I'll stick to it for now. But that's just my noob opinion. Good luck!

bluerobin

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I am having the same problems, but it seems only to be twitter messages that don't come through on the timed sequence. I am hoping that this gets fixed with the update to the update. I don't have enough issues to downgrade back to froyo so I am just dealing with it in the meantime, but it is annoying.

ttenpas

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys. I guess I'll try to hold out until they issue an update. Fortunately, I haven't missed any important emails. . . yet.

nealoc187

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
had the same problem after the GB update and missed a meeting with the assistant fire chief because of it. not happy.

rolled back to froyo and everything was good for about 6 days, now as of yesterday again, BAM... no gmail updates coming through. i hate this crap.

ttenpas

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if anyone is following this thread anymore, but I thought I'd post an update.
A couple weeks ago I installed gROM hoping it would help with the notification issue. In short, gROM is awesome, but I still wasn't getting my notifications in a timely manner. I finally got fed up with it and went back to froyo. I now have a properly functioning phone, but it's not nearly as nice as gROM.
Hopefully, Sprint/LG will get the gingerbread issues worked out soon - I can't wait to go back to gROM.

vapore0n

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Based on the reported problem by OP I can say there are multiple different issues.

First issue. Gmail in Gingerbread allows you to get either a single notification for emails (no more notifications till you read the emails) or a notification per each email. This is configurable and works properly.

Second issue. Gmail notifications dont show up on a timely manner. This problem seems to have different branches:
- if you have wifi on while phone is sleeping (screen off), 3G will not enable. This means that you will not get any type of update. You would need to set wifi to not turn off.
- Phone seems to put its data connection to sleep overnight. Every morning when I wake up I check my phone and minutes later I receive alerts about emails and were received that night. Last one I saw gmail maked it as sent at 1am, received 6am. Programs that force a sync dont have a problem. I have hotmail app set to check every hour.
- During the day push notifications seem more reliable. Have seen notifications of emails sent seconds before being received and up to an hour after being sent.

Makes me believe gingerbread has power saving features that we dont know about and were enabled on the LG rom.

I can say battery usage has been very good with g-rom. Equal to stock 2.2 in my phone.

ttenpas

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your input vapore0n.
First issue. Gmail in Gingerbread allows you to get either a single notification for emails (no more notifications till you read the emails) or a notification per each email. This is configurable and works properly.
I agree.
- if you have wifi on while phone is sleeping (screen off), 3G will not enable. This means that you will not get any type of update. You would need to set wifi to not turn off.
I don't use wifi, so that wasn't my issue.
- Phone seems to put its data connection to sleep overnight. Every morning when I wake up I check my phone and minutes later I receive alerts about emails and were received that night. Last one I saw gmail maked it as sent at 1am, received 6am. Programs that force a sync dont have a problem. I have hotmail app set to check every hour.
My experience was a bit different here. I had the email app set to check my work email every 15 minutes and this did not work reliably either.
- During the day push notifications seem more reliable. Have seen notifications of emails sent seconds before being received and up to an hour after being sent.
I agree that the notifications seemed more reliable during the day. I think that was probably due to the fact that I was using the phone so it didn't go to sleep. Whatever the reason, the notifications were still not reliable ENOUGH.

Makes me believe gingerbread has power saving features that we dont know about and were enabled on the LG rom.
I can say battery usage has been very good with g-rom. Equal to stock 2.2 in my phone.
I agree that this is probably the reason for the issues, but I've never had a problem with the battery life on this phone. Even if I did, I wouldn't sacrifice the notifications to extend battery life. At least give us the option to disable this "feature".