Optimus S Service/Repair

beathookup

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I have to take my Optimus S in for some service and need some help to ensure they will take a look at it. The problems I'm having I'm not sure if it will matter that it's not Sprint software on it because it is essentially the headphone jack doesn't work unless I turn my male connection until it is perfect, my charging port has the same problem where the chrager must be held down to enable a full charge, and my battery lsat maybe six hours. I'm currently rooted, running CM 7.1 by thekraven, I know I'm going to have to unroot and flash Sprint Stock ROM. What is the best way to ensure they will look at my phone and possibly fix it? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions :)

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Most of the reps don't care about what software you are running unless it could be the cause of the problem, it interferes with their ability to service your needs, or there is a warranty claim. Troubleshooting is all about process of elimination and software is a big variable which can cause all sorts of audio and charging issues (just see some other threads here). It sounds like you have at least one faulty jack; could be defective or could be wear and tear. Either way, I would eliminate the software variable for them by making a nandroid and reverting to stock ZVD before taking it in there.

Try this thread.

beathookup

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
That seems like a lot, is there just a Stock Sprint ROM that I could flash? Or do you think I should give it a shot and take it into a Sprint Store to see what they can do?

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
It's rather easy, but it is a process. You could go and ask them first, without having the phone on you, but they will likely want to play with it to see.

You could restore your stock nandroid, then remove Superuser and Busybox and see what they say. But if they have to send it away and/or look deeper for a warranty claim, your custom recovery will still be there and that is enough to void your warranty.

beathookup

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm just gonna flash CleanROM, take it in and see what they say. If they say the warranty has been voided, will they blacklist the ESN? I have gotten repairs done in the past with a NS4G with no problems, and with Windows phones as well

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I doubt they would blacklist your device. They may make a note of it or something, but I don't know. Good luck any way you go about it!

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
That seems like a lot, is there just a Stock Sprint ROM that I could flash? Or do you think I should give it a shot and take it into a Sprint Store to see what they can do?
It only seems like a lot because I wrote it out in minute detail.

Basically it boils down to:

restore stock recovery
run the ZVD update.zip
##786# factory reset

If you write that all out with every keypress and command someone needs to do along with screenshots, it looks long.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm just gonna flash CleanROM, take it in and see what they say. If they say the warranty has been voided, will they blacklist the ESN? I have gotten repairs done in the past with a NS4G with no problems, and with Windows phones as well
They won't blacklist your phone. They'll probably just say they can't work on it or can't fix it if they are normal techs. If they are annoying techs, they'll write a not on your account, which might influence other techs to not work on your phone. It just depends who you get.

beathookup

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I tried doing it from work but failed a few installs, decided to go the CleanROM route since I need to get this fixed today. If they give me a run around I'll go home and flash back to stock

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Reverting to stock recovery and rom is very easy. Download zvd update.zip to sd card from the link in sfhub's signature. Boot to recovery, turn off signature verification, choose zip from sd card and find update.zip and flash.

You will now be in stock rom with stock recovery but no service as the zvd radio did not flash. Boot into the now stock recovery, Choose the second option "apply sdcard: update.zip". Tada !!

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
It is not illegal to root you're phone, that had been decided in Congress actually. They said that a person has a right to modify there phone that they paid for anyway they want. But as stated in previous posts it will void your warranty, they can not blacklist ESN for this reason. They will still repair phone but will want to charge you for such repair.

sent from my CM7/Reborn w/ 1 Gb internal storage Optimus S

Always happy to help, hit that thanks button if I did

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It is not illegal to root you're phone, that had been decided in Congress actually. They said that a person has a right to modify there phone that they paid for anyway they want. But as stated in previous posts it will void your warranty, they can not blacklist ESN for this reason. They will still repair phone but will want to charge you for such repair.
This has also been decided by Congress.

They may want to think that way or want to have you think that way, but it is actually against the law (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975).

They cannot automatically void your warranty for aftermarket modifications. They have to *prove* your aftermarket modfications caused the problem to do that.

As an example, if you installed a custom ROM, but your USB port is physically loose through no abuse, they have to fix that if it is covered, since clearly your software didn't cause a physical USB port issue.

If it worked the way suggested, then car companies could void your drivetrain warranty for using aftermarket wiper blades or aftermarket shock absorbers. That is why the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 makes that distinction that your modification has to be proved to be the cause.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
...if you installed a custom ROM, but your USB port is physically loose through no abuse, they have to fix that if it is covered, since clearly your software didn't cause a physical USB port issue.

...your modification has to be proved to be the cause.

Exactly. So, in order to write it off as a hardware defect, someone would either have to prove that
A. The modified software did not cause the failure of the USB port OR

B. It is a hardware failure through examination.

They could send the hardware off to a repair center and have it there for a day or more while they take it apart and examine the connections... or the OP could eliminate the software variable for them, possibly expediting the determination and minimizing his down time.

It's a hassle either way, but it's probably easier just to hand it to them with their software on it and say, "It don't work like it's 'posed ta!" :D

beathookup

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I was able to flash back to stock recovery, and stock sprint rom, updated to zvh, will be checking into service over the weekend, replicated the problems on new software. Hopefully there will be something they can do, if not I'll flash away again to a zvh rom hopefully will work or swap for another phone.

charmon1605

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I can't guarantee that LG operates like this, but I can confirm that Samsung and Palm do.

I recently sent off my Samsung Galaxy that was having issues, and I had flashed a custom ROM to it. I was unable to flash the stock ROM because the phone wound't boot up to recovery of normal mode. So i had to ship it to Samsung because it was still under warranty. They fixed the phone and shipped it back to me with the stock ROM, and everything back to factory settings. They didn't give me any trouble about the custom ROM voiding my warranty.

I also had a similar situation back when I had a Palm Pre. And palm replaced my phone with a refurb unit.

Neither company gave my any problems about flashing custom ROMs or rooting/jailbreaking my phone. Palm did ask me if I "jailbroke" my phone when I called. I just lied and said "whats that mean?" and played dumb. Then they sent me a refurb unit and had me mail back the broken one.

So I know that Samsung and Palm are pretty cool about the warranty. But I can't confirm that LG works this way.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia